Re: [California PortaBoters] Re: Car top help

  • Fred Wagner
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2007
      Go directly to a Windsurfing or Kayaking store that is
      a dealer for Thule. Thule makes combinations of rack
      gear that will fit ANYTHING - even my 1995 Plymouth
      Neon. Your plastic-bumpered vehicle still has steel
      underneath. I use ratchet tiedowns front and rear, and
      there are pieces of bumper and frame under both ends
      that you can secure a hook to. My 10 footer and sail
      rig ride securely on my Neon at freeway speeds with
      the equipment recommended by my Windsurfing center. It
      wasn't cheap - counting the grabber for the sail rig,
      I've spent almost $400 - but it's stable at highway
      speeds, and the car is undamaged. I like that.

      Fred Wagner
      Cypress, CA

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...
      http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
    • hoosierhooch
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
        Ratchet straps from WalMart did the trick. I bought 8' ratchet
        straps, which I used in conjunction with the PB cartop straps to make
        a complete loop (over the PB, down through the door jamb, and
        attached to itself inside the car). What I need to do is just buy
        12' straps and that would make it all the way around by itself.

        There was still a little side-to-side movement, but the PB was
        definitely tightened down enough so that I felt comfortable driving 6
        miles to the lake. I still haven't figured out the best way to
        connect the bow to the bumper, which I'll need to do before I make
        longer trips on the highway. And jeez, if you don't twist the straps
        like the instructions indicate, you will indeed get some hellacious
        vibration noise.

        As for the PB itself, it was much easier to assemble than I had
        anticipated. I was able to load and unload it from the top of the
        car by myself. I'm still waiting on my outboard, but the first day
        with just oars went great. I forgot to take the dolly wheels off,
        but they were still firmly attached when I landed.

        ______________
        > Bored stiff? Loosen up...
        > http://games.yahoo.com/games/front

      • jse1976
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
          Nice rack
        • Fred Wagner
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
            If you put a rack on top of the car, and loop straps
            under the crossbars and over the bote, you secure the
            bote in place without running straps through the car.
            Also, there are cam-lock straps designed for kayaks
            and windsurferes that are secure, but don't winch
            things down so tight. 6 foot straps are sufficient.
            Also there is a synthetic rope tie down product with a
            ratchet that is useful for tying down the bow and
            stern. It comes with a webbing loop, which you run
            through the strap holding the boat to the crossbar,and
            hook one end of the tiedown to the loop, over the end
            of the boat, and down to hook underneath the bumper to
            a metal object. Works very cleanly. Go to a BOATING
            store, preferably one that sells kayaks and
            windsurfere, not Home Depot or Lowe's, for the correct
            gear.

            FHW

            http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
          • hoosierhooch
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
              The rack on my car has nothing to attach to on the sides. It's a
              really crappy set up which probably wouldn't even work very well for
              a standard suitcase. That's why I took it off and have to run straps
              through the car. It seems sufficient. Other than a new cartop rack,
              I don't see anything at BassProShops or Cabela's that I need.
              WalMart has the same ratchet straps the other guys do...only it's
              about 1/2 the price.

              ______________
              > http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

            • Fred Wagner
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 6, 2007
                You don't need to attach to anything on the sides of
                the roof rack - if you have a pair of crossbars -
                minimum of about 30" apart, you strap the boat to the
                crossbars, looping under the bars on either side of
                the bote.
                If you have no rack at all, I can see going through
                the windows....
                If you have just side rails on the vehicle, then Thule
                or Yakima have kits that will grab onto the rails an
                support their crossbars, which you lash the bote onto
                with the ratchet or cam straps. Get the pads to keep
                the bote from getting scratched on the crossbars. Some
                owners use foam pipe insulation.

                Fred Wagner

                http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
              • hoosierhooch
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 6, 2007
                  Where would I anchor the attachment? I don't understand how I could
                  attach the straps and generate torque from the crossbars the bote
                  would be sitting atop.

                  ______________
                  > http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

                • jrnoe2001
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 7, 2007
                    You probably don't need to anchor the straps to anything. BUT, you
                    will need to make certain that your cross bars can handle the weight
                    of the boat, especially at speed.

                    Here is how I secure my bote.
                    The ratcheting strap I use does not have hooks.
                    1) put boat on top of vehicle (bow at front, stern at back)
                    2) take the long (or loose) end of ratchet strap and run it on TOP of
                    and across the folded boat close by and parallel to the cross bar (so
                    now you've got a strap running perpendicular to the length of the bote
                    and vehicle)
                    3) take the loose end of the strap you just laid across the top of the
                    bote and run it UNDER the cross bar.
                    4) take the loose end of the strap you just ran under the crossbar and
                    run it on TOP of the bote towards the side you started. - If you were
                    looking at the view from overhead you would see your strap about 6
                    inches apart, parallel to each other and the cross bar and still
                    perpendicular to the bote.
                    5) take the loose end of the ratcheting strap and run it UNDER the
                    cross bar towards the spot you started.
                    6) thread the loose end of the strap thru the ratcheting mechanism,
                    pull up the slack, then use the ratchet to tighten.
                    7) repeat steps 1-6 at 2nd and any subsequent cross bars.
                    8) tie off any loose end of the straps

                    don't forget to have something in place to secure the bow of the bote
                    to the front of the vehicle.

                    Make sure everything is tight and immovable before driving off.

                    Once you get the hang of attaching the bote in this way, you'll
                    probably want to adjust where you start (and stop) the ends of the
                    ratchet strap so that the ratcheting mechanism is in a place more
                    easily reached or away from breakable or scratchable parts of the vehicle.

                    enjoy your time on the water!

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 7, 2007
                      The Thule crossbars are a modular product - see their
                      online catalog and tell it what make/model your
                      vehicle is. They have brackets to clamp the crossbars
                      onto almost any vehicle. You strap the bote to the
                      crossbars. run the strap under the crossbar on one
                      side of the boat so both ends are crossing OVER the
                      bote. Now take the end without the buckle, and run in
                      under the crossbar on the other side of the bote, and
                      back up on the bote, and fasten it in the buckle. Snug
                      it down good, and tuck the excess strap neatly under
                      the tight strap. Repeat at the other crossbar.

                      The end tie-downs are a ratched-pulley with a hook,
                      and a length of synthetic rope with another hook, and
                      it comes with a loop of webbing. you run the loop
                      under the webbing holding the bote to the crossbar,
                      and loop it through itself, tighten it up. Then put
                      the pulley hook through the loop, and run the rope
                      over the end of the bote, and put the hook under the
                      car on something solid, then snug the rope up on the
                      ratchet, and secure the loose end. You'll find the
                      components at a windsurfing or kayaking store. I also
                      use crossbar pads from the same source - a little
                      spiffier than pipe insulation.

                      Fred Wagner

                    • Jack Finley
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 8, 2007
                        Hi.. if anyone is looking for an RV mount for their PB there is one on Ebay with no bids as yet. Also I plan to sell my 12.5' PB which is about one year old and has been in storage all this time and never been in the water nor has it been registered. I live in Los Angeles and will be asking $1000.00 for it which includes oars, a porta shade, and a new duffel bag which holds all the accessories, transom, seats, oars, porta cover and anchor. For $200.00 more you get a used Nissan 3.5 hp 2 stroke about five years old with little use. It must be picked up in San Pedro. Poor health requires this sale. You can reach me at
                        <http://www.jaclin1@...>
                        Jack Finley

                        Fred Wagner <fredhwagner@...> wrote: The Thule crossbars are a modular product - see their
[...]

                        NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. They may use this email to imprison the sender or the reader without access to legal counsel or anyone else. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President.