BOT -- God, Sex and the Meaning of Life

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2005
      Dear List Members,

      I have recently been listening to Calling Catholics to Be Bible Christians
      and Vice Versa in my car. This tape set, though not technically a book on tape
      (BOT), was made available to me through my local public library. How awesome
      is that! This is what the public library is all about -- serving the
      community, and I am well served when I have free access to such wonderful resources.

      The tape set that I am suggesting today has everything librarians are looking
      for: it is recently published, it's a topic on the minds of many of their
      patrons, and the author does an outstanding job of getting across his thesis.
      (As a side note, if you ever have the opportunity to see Christopher West speak
      in person, don't miss it!)

      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it is,
      put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron request form right
      away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

      Title: God, Sex and the Meaning of Life: An Introduction to Pope John Paul
      II's Theology of the Body
      Author: Christopher West
      Publisher: Ascension Press
      Date Published: March 2004
      ISBN: 1932631054
      Price: Cassette 14.95, CD 14.95
      Comments: Audio Book

      From www.ascensionpress.com . . .
      Most people have heard the “whats” of Catholic teaching, but very few have
      ever heard the “whys.” With humor and profound insight, Christopher West
      demonstrates in this talk that the Church’s teaching on sex and marriage “makes
      sense,” and corresponds perfectly with the deepest stirrings and desires of the
      human heart.
      Drawing on Pope John Paul II’s Theology of the Body, West shares God’s
      original plan for marriage and sexuality and how an understanding of this plan
      gives profound meaning to all our lives-married, single, and consecrated celibates.

      The Theology of the Body has been called the “one of the boldest
      reconfiguration of Catholic theology in centuries,” according to the pope’s biographer
      George Weigel. In this body of work, the pope asks and answers some of the most
      fundamental questions of human existence, including:
      Why were we created male and female?
      Where do we come from and why?
      What is the meaning of life? How do we experience it?
      Why is there evil in the world and how do we overcome it?
      In this series of fast-paced talks, Christopher West explains:
      Why John Paul II’s Theology of the Body has already started a sexual
      counter-revolution destined to renew the Church and the world
      How our culture has been selling us a counterfeit vision of sexual love and
      what to do about it
      Why the Church’s teaching on sex and marriage is the “key” to happiness not
      only for married couples, but also for single people and even consecrated
      celibates!