Re: Library Policies / What Circulates

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2005
      Dear List Members,

      Following is a question from a list member and my reply:

      >>I have finally gotten around to asking about how to request books at the
      library. Well, I was very surprised that they do not have a book request form,
      (so I'm told!) but just will mention my request to the head librarian. Isn't
      that UNUSUAL? I'm going to do some more poking around to see if I wasn't just
      misinformed.

      >>I think it is unusual. If your library has a website, I would poke around
      and see if there is an easy way to make patron requests online. I would think
      that your library would appreciate ideas from their patrons! Nancy Brown of
      HomeschoolLibraryConnection recommends just printing out the email that I
      send, write your name and phone number on it, and hand that to the library clerk
      or librarian on your next visit.

      And now a reply to my question about what circulates at your library:

      >>My experience is that nobody uses the Church Library. Unless you have to
      pass through it on your way out of Mass, it doesn't get used, except maybe by
      the CCD teachers.
      >>I think it is far better to try to get these books into the library, where
      at least numbers wise, more people would see it either on the shelf or in the
      library's catalog.
      >>So, even though a title may sound or seem "church-y" I would still
      recommend that it go to the local library.
      >>Maybe you could reference that article in NCR about how the priest got all
      the books in a special collection at the public library, I believe it was in
      Wisconsin.

      The link is http://www.ncregister.com/Register_News/042302lib.htm
      Other interesting links can be found at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PopeSaintNicholasV/links