Adult -- In the Beginning . . . There Were No Diapers

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2005
      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it is,
      put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron request form right
      away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

      Title: In The Beginning...There Were No Diapers: Laughing and Learning In The
      First Years Of Fatherhood
      Author: Tim Bete
      Publisher: Ave Maria Press
      Date Published: April 1, 2005
      ISBN: 1893732878
      Price: Paperback 12.95
      Comments: A humorous look at fatherhood!

      Editorial Reviews

      Editor & Publisher magazine, commenting on a possible replacement for
      Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist, Dave Barry; Nov. 29, 2004
      "Outside the major syndicates, possible Barry replacements include Bete..."

      Jodie Lynn, syndicated parenting columnist and author of Mommy-CEO
      "...In the Beginning... is the best clean, down to earth and funniest book
      I've read in years."

      Dorothy Thompson, editor, The Writer’s Life Reviews
      "Hilariously funny...Tim Bete’s humor will knock the socks right off your
      feet!"

      Laura Dempsey, Dayton Daily News, January 16, 2005
      "When ranking miracles, Tim Bete puts potty training right up there
      with...the parting of the Red Sea."

      Tom Allen, Editor-in-Chief, CatholicExchange.com
      "A must-read for any new parent..."

      From the author:
      My first book, IN THE BEGINNING...THERE WERE NO DIAPERS, is hot off
      the press. You might describe it as St. Paul meets Dave Barry.

      The book is based on my award-winning humor column, which has been
      published in the Christian Science Monitor and more than a dozen
      parenting magazines. It provides observations on the "minor miracles"
      we often overlook in our lives. For example, the parting of the Red
      Sea was a major miracle. The day you successfully potty train your
      child is a minor miracle. Both involve the miracle of dryness and
      release from bondage. In the case of the Red Sea, the bondage was
      from Pharaoh. With potty training, the bondage came in the form of
      size-5 Pampers.

      Autographed copies can be ordered through my Web site --
      http://www.timbete.com/Book.html

      God bless!

      Tim Bete
      Newspaper columnist and Director, Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop
      www.TimBete.com

      Customer reviews from amazon.com:
      Bombeck's Back in Bete's Best, February 19, 2005
      Reviewer:maggie van ostrand "2dogwoman" (Pine Mountain Club, CA USA) - See
      all my reviews
      Tim Bete has managed to combine a light and refreshing perception of
      parenting with the daunting task of child rearing. How he could envision his brood's
      reaction to Jesus' multiplying the fish(es) is one of the many chucklers in his
      first book.
      He's made a believer out of me, and I'll seek out his parenting column from
      now on.

      So funny and so true!, February 18, 2005
      Reviewer:Lisa CatholicMom "lisa_catholicmom" (Fresno, CA United States) - See
      all my reviews
      For years now, I've been a huge fan of Tim Bete's writing through the format
      of his weekly column and now I'm thrilled to own my personal copy of Tim's new
      book! Tim has a sense of humor I can enjoy as a parent, and also share with
      my growing sons. Nothing gets past this guy...the details of day to day life
      are examined from a perspective of fun, enjoyment and sometimes downright
      silliness, which is as it should be!

      Tim's brand of humor is infectious - pick up his book and you'll find your
      mood improved and your perspective on parenthood and family life refreshed! This
      is a great gift book, but purchase it for yourself as well and you'll see
      what I mean. I know Tim Bete will have many more books to come, so be sure to
      start your collection with this classic.

      Great work Tim, and thanks for the smiles!

      3 of 4 people found the following review helpful:
      Good, clean fun and a whole lot of love, February 2, 2005
      Reviewer:Christine Hohlbaum "award-winning author, writer, and mother" (near
      Munich, Germany) - See all my reviews

      In the Beginning...There Were No Diapers: Laughing and Learning in the First
      Years of Fatherhood by Tim Bete is one of the most delightful parenting humor
      books I have ever read. Having grown up reading Erma Bombeck, I have read the
      funniest and the finest in my day. Tim Bete's humor, laced with a God-based
      perspective, anchors his stories in every day life in a way Erma Bombeck never
      did. It makes his writing unique and honest -- a cut above the rest.

      His wild imagination combined with a nurturing sensitivity towards his
      progeny makes this quick and fun read very enjoyable. One of my favorite lines comes
      from his imaginary tale of his home life played out as a movie:

      "There is only one human being in sight. Except for the tormented look on her
      face, she looks vaguely familiar - almost wife-like. She sits mute on the
      couch with her head in her hands. I ask her how her day was. She glares." As a
      writer and stay-at-home mom, I laughed for ten minutes straight. See, see! Some
      men do see their wives the way we see ourselves.

      From thinking his children are monkeys taking over the Earth to marveling at
      his son's recycling ability, Bete offers his readers a much-needed break from
      the mundane, turning our very lives into miracles, too. Thank you, Mr. Bete,
      for the reminder that God is with us, even when (or maybe because?) there are
      graham cracker crumbs in our pockets.

      Christine Louise Hohlbaum, American expat author of Diary of a Mother (2003)
      and SAHM I Am: Tales of a Stay-at-Home Mom (May 2005), resides with her family
      near Munich, Germany. http://www.diaryofamother.com

      2 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
      Finally! A gift for new fathers!, January 31, 2005
      Reviewer:Julie Clark Robinson - See all my reviews

      I've always felt that fathers get left out at gift-giving time around the
      birth of a baby and no more! I have four friends having babies and this book is
      exactly what I will include with their flowers and rattles. Something to help
      dad keep his sense of humor!
      Julie Clark Robinson, author of Live in the Moment

      1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
      Tim Bete -- Cosby for a new generation of dads, December 10, 2004
      Reviewer:Avid reader (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
      Tim Bete brings humor and insight to the job of fatherhood, capturing the
      many miracles of parenthood in this wonderful first book. His weekly column
      already charms people from coast to coast. "In the Beginning..." will be the first
      of many successful efforts for this up-and-coming humorist. I've only read one
      chapter and can't wait to read the rest. This book will be a "must get" for
      couple's showers, Father's Day, or any occasion when a gift is needed for a dad
      of any age. Witty and wry, Tim's style will keep dads -- and moms -- laughing
      for long time.