Library Policies

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2005
      Dear List Members,

      I am currently reading Jump Start Your Book Sales (borrowed from the library,
      of course). If you are wondering what that title has to do with our Pope St.
      Nick list, just stick with me for a minute.

      This book has a great chapter on how to get your books onto library shelves
      and it really gives you some good insights on how libraries make purchasing
      decisions. Their main motivation when deciding on a book purchase is a good
      review in a trade journal (Library Journal, Booklist, Publishers Weekly, etc.).

      I now quote Jump Start Your Book Sales:
      >>Their second most mentioned reason for making a purchase is patron requests
      (90%). >>These carry a lot of weight. Nothing creates greater demand within
      a library than having >>customers come in and ask for your titles. Seattle
      tries to maintain a ratio of one copy of >>a title for every five requests it
      receives. In some libraries that ratio drops down to a >>lovely two or three
      requests.

      The book goes on to encourage writers and publishers to invite their friends
      and family to call their libraries and make patron requests. It has that big
      of an impact!

      I know that this email list is making a great impact because of all of the
      success stories that I receive. Reading this book chapter has only reaffirmed
      that fact to me. It also tells me that we can have an even bigger impact if we
      get our friends and family members to jump on our bandwagon and make the same
      requests. Multiple requests relate into multiple purchases.

      I encourage you all to forward Pope St. Nick V emails to all your like-minded
      friends and family members when you see a favorite title featured. And
      please feel free to invite others to join our list.

      God bless you all!