Adult -- Surprised By Canon Law

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2005
      This could also be a young adult title, I gave it to my highschooler when I
      was finished with it. Maureen :)

      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it is,
      put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron request form right
      away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

      Title: Surprised By Canon Law: 150 Questions Laypeople Ask About Canon Law
      Author: Pete Vere and Michael Trueman, Foreword by Patrick Madrid
      Publisher: Servant
      Date Published: January 2005
      ISBN: 0867166088
      Price: $9.99
      Comments: Easy to read introduction to canon law.

      From amazon.com
      Customer Reviews
      Avg. Customer Review:
      Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.

      2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
      Want to be an informed Catholic?, March 2, 2005
      Reviewer:RC "stblogs.org" (Boston, MA (USA)) - See all my reviews
      Then get this book.

      Both interested Catholics and curious non-Catholics ask questions about the
      Church, but often the questions they ask don't deal with doctrine or sacred
      Scripture. Instead, they concern the procedural and practical aspects of Church
      life. People wonder whether a non-Catholic is permitted to receive Holy
      Communion under any circumstances; whether a priest can write and use his own prayers
      in celebrating Mass; and what's involved in the "annulment" process.

      All of these issues involve church law, but most educated Catholics don't
      know where to look for the answers. In this book, Pete Vere and Michael Trueman
      have brought their gifts of organization and clarity to the subject. Their 150
      questions and answers, based on the Church's canon law and liturgical law, get
      to the point, while also explaining the Church's intention behind each point
      of law. Each of them has as its purpose "the supreme law", which is "the
      salvation of souls."

      Was this review helpful to you? (Report this) (Report this)

      10 of 11 people found the following review helpful:
      I Love Q&As and this is a great one!, November 5, 2004
      Reviewer:Patricia M. Dugan "TishDugan" (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews

      Usually you need true inspiration to read a book with the word Law in the
      title. Something like a gun to your head maybe. But that is not the case here. No
      problem at all reading this. Up front, let me confess that I truly love Q&As.
      They make me feel so smart on those few occasions when I already knew the
      answer they tell me. Along the way, you can usually learn a lot. This book is a
      treasure trove for the learning along the way. Can your child be baptized at
      home? Do I need an imprimatur for that new novel I wrote? Is my parish pastor
      supposed to be taking all of those vacations? The list goes on and on. These
      questions are truly informative for anyone with any interest in the Catholic
      Faith. The Questions are divided in a way that makes total sense, but I just kept
      picking it up whenever I saw it on the table, and randomly read where the
      pages opened. I was never disappointed. Can you really have an enjoyable, even
      fun, law book? A religious one no less? This book answers yes. Do not miss the
      end where they ask You to send Them more questions, just in case they do another
      volume. Get those questions in! I want another one!

      Was this review helpful to you? (Report this) (Report this)

      6 of 8 people found the following review helpful:
      "Everything You Wanted to Know About Canon Law ..., October 31, 2004
      Reviewer:Rich Leonardi (Cincinnati, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
      ... But Didn't Know Who to Ask"

      Wonder no more. Messrs. Vere and Trueman have written a crisp, orthodox set
      of answers to questions commonly asked by curious Catholics.

      Questions concerning whether laypersons may give homilies (they can't), what
      can be done about Catholic instructors teaching "questionable" topics, whether
      First Confession must precede First Communion (it must), and what is required
      of a godparent are all given thoughtful responses.

      Worth noting is the language and style used by the authors. Canon law is
      often perceived by laypersons to be inscrutable and "off-limits" to all but
      priests, bishops and canon lawyers. But Vere and Trueman show how canon law really
      exists to guide the faithful, and their jargon-free responses don't require
      anything more than curiosity to understand them.

      They also provide a link to their website for readers to submit additional
      questions, so "Surprised by Canon Law 2" is not out of the question.

      Congratulations also to Servant Books for producing a slim, handsome little
      book. Gone are the days when "authentically Catholic" was synonymous with
      "looks cheap".

      Was this review helpful to you? (Report this) (Report this)

      4 of 6 people found the following review helpful:
      Not since Gratian compiled his decretals..., October 28, 2004
      Reviewer:Gratian Gasparri - See all my reviews
      ...has canon law been this exciting! Here's what the critics are saying:

      "For centuries, canon law has been for most Catholics a mysterious and
      esoteric aspect of Catholicism, [...] Not anymore." - Patrick Madrid

      "Vere and Trueman have made canon law accessible to the average Catholic for
      the first time." - Karl Keating

      "This volume is readable, interesting, pastoral and completely faithful to
      Church teaching and discipline." - Rev. Peter MJ Stravinskas

      "I recommend it as a valuable starting point for anyone interested in
      becoming familiar with canon law." + Adam Cardinal Maida, Archbishop of Detroit

      "Written with a good sense of humor, it addresses questions that are
      sometimes difficult or painful... I certainly recommend this book to those interested
      in becoming acquainted with the canon law of the Catholic Church." - Rev.
      Francis G. Morrisey, Faculty of Canon Law at Saint Paul University

      "Surprised by Canon Law fills a real need, providing a refreshingly readable
      introduction to canon law designed specifically for lay Catholics." - Leon J.
      Surprenant, Jr.