Adult -- Living the Mysteries: A Guide for Unfinished Christians

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2004
      Title: Living the Mysteries: A Guide for Unfinished Christians
      Author: Scott Hahn and Mike Aquilina
      Publisher: Our Sunday Visitor
      Date Published: September 2003
      ISBN: 1931709122
      Comments: A mystagogical teaching of Scripture from the Early Church
      Fathers.

      From the publisher:
      Living the Mysteries
      by Scott Hahn and Mike Aquilina
      Until we get to heaven, we’re all unfinished Christians.
      There are no “self-made” success stories in the spiritual life. No
      do-it-yourself kits for aspiring saints. That’s why Living the Mysteries is ideal for a
      family member, friend, or fellow parishioner who was recently in the RCIA
      program and received the sacraments of initiation – baptism, confirmation, and
      the Eucharist – at the Easter Vigil. That’s why it’s perfect for a lifelong
      Catholic, too.
      The early Church had a process in which a teacher guided seekers through
      stages of inquiry and purification, culminating in a final phase called “mystagogy”
      — MIST-a-go-gee — “the revelation of the mysteries.”
      The instruction the early Christians needed is what we all need, no matter
      when we were baptized, no matter how much theology we’ve studied. That’s
      because God’s mysteries are inexhaustible and, until we get to heaven, we’re all
      unfinished Christians.
      Now eight of the early Church’s greatest teachers can be your guides as
      Living the Mysteries presents the wisdom and insights of:
      St. Ambrose
      St. Augustine
      St. Basil
      St. Clement of Alexandria
      St. Cyril of Jerusalem
      St. Gregory of Nyssa
      St. John Chrysostom
      St. Leo the Great
      Designed as a devotional – and more – for the fifty days between Easter and
      Pentecost, Living the Mysteries is a rich spiritual resource valuable any time
      of the year. Each day features:
      A passage from the Church’s great teachers that focuses on a relevant point
      of the mystical or moral life
      A plan with practical applications for letting that reading inspire your
      prayer and actions throughout the day
      You will treasure these timeless lessons on gaining eternal life.
      About the authors
      Scott Hahn and Mike Aquilina are the founders and trustees of the St. Paul
      Center for Biblical Theology (www.salvationhistory.com) and have co-hosted
      several series on the Eternal Word Television Network. Each has written extensively
      on Catholic doctrine, history, and devotion.