Magazine - Heart & Mind

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      I am a contributing editor to this magazine. I include it here because I
      think that it is a very worthwhile publication (that is why I chose to be a part
      of its publication).

      Title: Heart & Mind Magazine
      Publisher: www.heart-and-mind.com
      Date Published: Quarterly
      Price: one year $20, two years $32
      Comments: Catholic homeschooling

      from the website:
      An Independent Catholic
      Homeschooling Magazine
      Lesley Payne and Karen Horton, editors of the Catholic Home Educator magazine
      since its founding in 1993, are proud to announce their new independent
      magazine, Heart and Mind: A Resource for Catholic Homeschoolers.
      We are joined by a team of contributing editors: Laura Berquist edits a
      column on classical home education; Maureen Wittmann writes on thrifty
      home-schooling and manages the special-needs column; Cay Gibson focuses on literature in
      each issue; Nancy Carpentier Brown coordinates resource reviews and a column of
      contributions from current and former homeschooling students. Each issue
      features a pull-out unit study. The magazine focuses on issues unique to Catholic
      homeschoolers, including resource reviews from a Catholic perspective,
      religious education, tips for managing large families and ideas for observing the
      liturgical year with children.
      The magazine reflects our views as faithful Catholics and concerned
      parent-educators. We love the Church, we love Catholic family life and we love home
      education, in all of its varied manifestations—whether a purchased curriculum,
      classical studies, Charlotte Mason, unschooling, unit studies, or the
      all-encompassing “eclectic” approach. In fact, most of us have tried most of the above
      methods and use a mixture of them, changing with each individual child and the
      circumstances of each unique year of our homeschooling lives. Thus, the
      magazine explores a broad selection of homeschooling methods and materials, leaving
      it up to individual families to try what appeals to them and ignore the rest.
      Likewise, we recognize that there are a variety of ways to express authentic
      Catholic spirituality and we welcome contributions from people of different
      spiritual “tastes.”
      No matter how long you’ve been homeschooling or what your family’s learning
      style is, Heart and Mind is sure to be a valuable resource for you.