Magazine -- Touchstone

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2004
      This is not a Catholic magazine, but an ecumenical one. The editor, David
      Mills, is a Catholic homeschooling dad. See below for my thoughts on why this
      magazine deserves to be in your library.

      Title: Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity
      Publisher: Fellowship Of St. James
      ISBN: B0001PBUDA
      Price: 24.95 / one year (10 issues), $49.95 / two years (20 issues)
      Comments:

      I love Touchstone because it is so unique. I'm told that the wonderful
      theologian Fr. Ronald Lawler, God rest his soul, called it "First Things in English"
      and that everyone should subscribe.

      Touchstone is an ecumenical magazine, which in their case seems to mean a
      gathering of the best soldiers from all the allied armies to fight the common
      enemy and engage the common challenges. They assume that it is in this common
      work that what unity God will grant us on this earth will be found.

      The best known members of the editorial board are probably the Catholic
      historian James Hitchcock and Princeton's Robert George. I knew Dr. Hitchcock way
      back in my college days and I can say firsthand that he is an awesome Catholic.

      The contributing editors range from Russell Moore, a dean at the Southern
      Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, to the Presbyterians Peter
      Leithart and Phillip Johnson (the author of Darwin on Trial), to the Orthodox
      Frederica Mathewes-Green, to the Catholic Elizabeth Fox-Genovese and Roberto
      Rivera. I'm told that they all are securely, even fiercely, what they are and
      yet each works quite happily with the others.
      Most of their articles deal in some way with the engagement of the Christian
      mind and worldview with the culture and try to bring the power of the
      Christian heritage to bear upon the challenges we all face. Their articles try to
      teach something both useful and enjoyable about the Christian heritage, something
      other journals, including most Christian journals, don't seem offer.
      You can read past articles on their website ( http://www.touchstonemag.com/ )
      and more informal commentary on the weblog Mere Comments
      (www.touchstonemag.com/merecomments.html ). "