Adult -- The Exceptional Seven Percent

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2004
      This is Greg's marriage book written for the general population and so may be
      easier to get into libraries. It is still written with a Catholic worldview,
      but in a way that a non-Catholic can digest it. I've given it to several
      non-Catholic family members and they loved it! The Catholic version is For
      Better...Forever!: A Catholic Guide to Lifelong Marriage.

      Title: The Exceptional Seven Percent: The Nine Secrets of the Worlds
      Happiest Couples
      Author: Gregory Popcak
      Publisher: Citadel Press
      Date Published: August 2002
      ISBN: 0806523581
      Price: Paperback 14.95, Hardcover 19.94
      Comments: Teaches spouses how to be a part of the 7% of marriages that
      are considered exceptional.

      From amazon.com:
      Editorial Reviews

      From Publishers Weekly
      With a mature style that is intellectually appealing, Popcak shares his
      inspiring conviction that marriage can be a powerfully actualizing enterprise.
      Drawing on the results of several marriage studies, he contends that while most
      marriages are "conventional" (read: average), and some are even "impoverished,"
      a fortunate 7% are "exceptional." Having a marriage in the exceptional
      category, says Popcak, requires a commitment to live your life according to a
      "Marital Imperative," a motto of sorts that identifies the most important qualities
      that each partner strives to manifest in life through the marriage. This
      imperative then becomes the basis for all decision making, including even minor
      daily activities. In this way, exceptional couples exhibit greater congruence
      between their actions and beliefs and stand a much greater chance of faithfully
      exemplifying their most desired personal qualities. Like Stephen Covey and
      Abraham Harold Maslow, Popcak focuses on the refinement of peak performance.
      Offering engaging exercises and checklists to help readers clarify their aims and
      progress along his theoretical pathway to self-actualization, he challenges
      conventional couples to recognize how much better their marriage could be with a
      few attitude adjustments and priority clarifications. Self-improvement
      aficionados will find his approach a welcome and refreshing addition to the genre.
      Illustrations not seen by PW. (June)
      Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the
      Hardcover edition.

      Ingram
      A psychotherapist explores the rules, attitudes, and behaviors practiced in
      exceptional marriages and explains how to make those characteristics flourish
      in one's own relationship. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

      Book Description

      If roughly 50 percent of marriages fail, what about the other 50 percent? Are
      those couples who stay together necessarily happy? No. In fact, many
      marriages that remain intact are miserable, some are just mediocre, and some are only
      pretty good. A mere 7 percent are really great--in fact, exceptional.
      If less-than-exceptional marriages are formed by men from Mars and women from
      Venus, what planet do exceptional couples come from? What do exceptional
      couples know or do that others don't? And can what they know be taught? Most
      marriage research and writing has focused on analyzing bad marriages and finding
      ways to help couples in trouble. This book, on the other hand, looks at the
      happiest, most successful couples and exposes their secrets so that others can
      learn and benefit.
      The Exceptional Seven Percent is about the rules, attitudes, and behaviors
      practiced in exceptional marriages, based on solid research, validated by the
      author's own professional observations, and ultimately tested in his own
      marriage with fabulous results. It helps couples take an okay or pretty good marriage
      and make it extraordinary. Each chapter examines in detail one of the nine
      basic characteristics of exceptional couples and explains how to make that trait
      flourish in one's own marriage. Quizzes and worksheets in each chapter help
      direct couples to areas in their marriage that need the most work.
      The secrets are out--all nine of them. Let the good lovin' begin! --This text
      refers to the Hardcover edition.

      All Customer Reviews
      Average Customer Review:

      Helped me more than any other marriage book, October 1, 2004
      Reviewer: Abraham D. Alsop (Boise, ID USA)

      Many books on marriage are designed to teach the basics of communication
      skills (love languages) to those desperate couples who are on the verge of divorce
      or abuse, helping them to rebuild their love. This book, however, is for the
      rest of us, who are in a good position already, who are deeply in love, and
      maybe even think we don't need help as it's all working just fine. Popcak calls
      us to a higher ideal, tells us to not settle for being just fine, but to try
      to be exceptional. Have that type of marriage that fulfills your life's dreams
      and works for the good of your children and society. The Exceptional Seven
      Percent does not hide the fact that it will take sacrifice and letting go of old
      ways of thinking, but it will be well worth it. With surveys and questions
      along the way, this book makes it easy to chart your progress as you advance
      through the stages towards being one of the world's happiest couples. Yes, it
      really is possible, if you're willing to work at it.

      7 of 8 people found the following review helpful:
      the only book on relationship that ever made sense, December 7, 2001
      Reviewer: R. Jones (Chantilly, VA USA)

      Sometimes you come across a book that is like clear music, and that clears up
      an area of your life that had been foggy forever. That is what this book was
      like for me. I came out of a failed marriage, and I wanted to understand why I
      had failed. I read various books. Then I came across this one. It's not the
      best title, perhaps, since other titles in the same area scream out their
      message louder. But it made such sense. Popcak speaks among other things of a
      marital imperative, which both husband and wife commit to, helping each other
      achieve lifetime goals, so that infidelity becomes far less likely, since another
      man or woman is not committed to helping you achieve your lifetime goals.
      Marriage becomes a place where you develop more and more competence. I could go on
      and on. My only reservation is that it sounded like an awful lot of work, but
      that could reflect my personal situation right now. I thought to myself, this
      is how to do marriage and make it work and make it wonderful. Also, I don't
      think it's just for the exceptional seven percent. And of course in this day and
      age one would have to say it's not only for marriages. No matter where you
      are in your relationship or relationship skills, this book might be the
      revelation you are looking for. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition

      An Incredibly Exciting and Practical Approach to Marriage., February 13,
      1999
      Reviewer: A reader
      With this inspiring and insightful guide, any couple who is as serious about
      their future together as they are about their financial wellbeing will be
      twice blessed by dusting off these tools and using them in their marriage. This
      book provides the foundation and grounding that is available right here on Earth
      without having to move to Mars or Venus to find happiness. Popcak creatively
      presents a practical guide to measure your relationship right now, and
      incorporates the tools to help you dig a little deeper. --This text refers to the
      Hardcover edition

      An Incredibly Exciting and Practical Approach to Marriage., February 13,
      1999
      Reviewer: Tim Serban (Portland, Oregon) -