Young Adult -- My Heart Lies South

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2004
      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it is,
      put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron request form right
      away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

      Title: My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage
      Author: Elizabeth Borton De Trevino
      Publisher: Bethlehem Books, Young People Edition
      Date Published: Sept. 2001
      ISBN: 1883937515
      Price: Softcover $14.95
      Comments: Lovely story of an American journalist's marriage and life in
      Mexico in the 1930's.

      From amazon.com:
      That fortress, the Family, February 6, 2003
      Reviewer: Gabriel Toscana (Monterrey, Mexico)

      This book is an autobiography of an American woman who came to Mexico on what
      she thought was going to be a brief assignment and ended marrying with a
      Mexican and staying in Mexico for the rest of her happy life. But the book is much
      more than this. It describes the clash between the very different cultures of
      Mexico and the USA which result, almost always, in hilarious situations.
      Almost everything described happens in Monterrey, Mexico where she lived with
      her husband and eventually with her children, but as she mentions in the
      book, the extended family is extremely important in Mexico and she got to love and
      respect her "Mamacita" and "Papacito" (mother and father-in-law) as much, or
      maybe even more, than her own parents. "To Mamacita and Papacito I dedicate
      this book in loving memory."
      The Trevi?o Borton family is, in my humble opinion, "every family of mankind,
      the archetypal family about whom all mankind is dreaming." (Quoting from a
      review of Finnegans Wake). As such, anyone may appreciate this book, but... for
      Regiomontanos (people from Monterrey) it means much more: it describes the
      inner workings of the social fabric in the city, it brings to life the infinite
      subtlety of their ways, it gives a microscopic historical view of the 1930's
      that you can hardly find anywhere else, it creates a deep longing for a
      beautiful past.
      I, like Borton, married with Monterrey. Her husband was Luis Trevi?o. My wife
      is Olivia Trevi?o and through Borton I finally understood why "the Family" is
      of such overwhelming importance for my wife.
      The interest that this book generated in me was so great that I decided to
      journey through Elizabeth's world... 70 years later.
      I have built a web site where you can see how her house, her Mamacitas house,
      and many other places she mentions in the book look TODAY... 70 YEARS LATER.
      Many things have changed during the years but writing from Monterrey I can
      say, as she once said, "I was then, as now, so safe, so happy, within that
      fortress - the family."

      A delightful venture into 30s Mexico, December 27, 2000
      Reviewer: E. A Solinas "la_solinas" (Hanover, MD USA)

      Reading this autobio, you can see why the author won a Newbery for "I, Juan
      de Pareja." Recently reprinted, I was given this book as a gift and was stunned
      by it

      This short yet sweet accounting of the author's marriage and life in Mexico
      is a joy to read. It begins in long ago in California, when a young woman named
      Elizabeth Borton travels to Monterrey with a Mexican PR worker, a young man
      named Luis Trevino. A few months later, they are married, and a modern young
      woman from the US must get used to life in traditional Mexico, with all the joys
      and cultural rifts that includes. A delightful extended family and
      Elizabeth's excellent kids add to the cultural enjoyment over the course of the book.

      In her colorful, sparkling prose, you are transported to the world of
      Mamacita and Papacita and Tia Rosa, of Robert's peculiar courtship of his girlfriend
      and the trials and tribulations of setting up house in a new country. How does
      Elizabeth adjust to the cultura!l changes, the passionate natures of the
      people around her, and the expectations of a Mexican wife and mother?

      I was feeling depressed until I read this book, but it immediately perked me
      up. Read it and enjoy!