Paths of the Messiah by Bargil Pixner

  • Ana
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2010
      My husband is going to Israel this fall and I have requested this new Ignatius title from my library. It looks so interesting even for me who will stay behind. (Remember that the more requests for one book a library system receives, the more likely they are to purchase it.)

      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog.If it is, put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron request form right away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

      Title: Paths of the Messiah
      Author: Bargil Pixner
      Publisher: Ignatius Press
      Date Published: June 2010
      ISBN-10: 0898708656
      Price: $19.77

      Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Paths-Messiah-Bargil-Pixner/dp/0898708656/ref=sr_1_44?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280665733&sr=1-44

      Product Description
      Nazareth, the Sea of Galilee, Jerusalem: The places where Jesus lived and died and gathered his followers into a community are for Christians the most holy sites on earth. With reverence for the sites associated with the life of Christ, Bargil Pixner dedicated much of his life to archeological research in the Holy Land, becoming famous for his discovery of the Essene Gate in Jerusalem and the town of Bethsaida by the Sea of Galilee.
      Gathered into this one volume are the principal fruits of Father Pixner's research: explanations of numerous archeological discoveries in the Holy Land accompanied by photos, illustrations and maps. Prepared in collaboration with Professor Rainer Riesner, a Scripture scholar from the University of Dortmund, the chapters bring to light not only those details of interest to the man of science but also the connections between these and early Christianity of interest to the man of faith.

      Having lived in Israel for much of his life the Tyrolean priest, scholar, teacher, and pilgrimage leader brought to his subject the depth and familiarity of a native son. Father Pixner's particular interest in the first Jewish Christians runs like a thread through many of these chapters, helping to link the practices of modern believers with those of their ancient brothers and sisters in the faith.

      Paths of the Messiah
      Bargil Pixner