Spiritual Classic -- Story of a Soul

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2004
      I was surprised recently that my library doesn't carry Catholic spiritual
      classics such as Story of a Soul by Saint Therese of Lisieux or The Interior
      Castle by St. Teresa of Avila.

      Just in case that is the situation for others on this list, I will add
      "classic" books, books that have withstood the test of time, to my list of suggested
      books for this list. You will need to point out to your librarians that
      while these are older titles they will be checked out for years to come.

      Now for our first classic:

      Title: Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
      Author: Therese of Lisieux
      Publisher: I C S Publications, Institute of Carmelite St
      Date Published: 3rd edition June 1, 1996
      ISBN: 0935216588
      Price: Paperback $12.95
      Comments: A spiritual classic. Sure to be checked out for years to come.

      Review from amazon.com:
      A beautiful book about a beautiful and loving saint, January 20, 2003
      Reviewer: A reader from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
      Once in a while 'special' kinds of people come to inhabit the earth, living
      lives that are remarkably pious and outstanding. Therese Martin was one such
      person. This simple Carmelite nun presents her life in such detail that makes on
      wonder how blessed she was. Her life is infinitely beautiful; it is like a
      painting filled with beautiful colors that one would want to stare at forever.
      Therese of the Child Jesus is a witness to the Gospel teaching that perfection
      is attainable here on earth if we try. As a person, she knew her Lord and
      Master very well and Jesus Christ did use her as an instrument of peace,
      perfection and simplicity.
      Today's world is filled with unbelief, frustration, anger and selfishness.
      Yet, at the end of the nineteenth century, when the industrial revolution was at
      its peak in Europe, this lady lived a life so holy in practically total
      isolation in a convent. Nevertheless, her story radiates to all who seek to find it
      today. She is a testament to the fact that no matter how much knowledge or
      wealth we have in life, they are worth nothing without love.
      A number of people have claimed that this book has helped change their
      direction in life. It is now wonder, for there are times when while reading it, one
      finds ones eyes filled with tears as a result of the beauty of the life of
      Therese. Please read this book, whether or not you are a Catholic. Its message is
      deeply spiritual and universal. The autobiography of Therese of the Child
      Jesus, presents the story of a simple and loving soul in simple language.