Praying Scripture for a Change

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2009
      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it
      is, put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron
      request form right away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

      Title: Praying Scripture for a Change: An Introduction to Lectio Divina
      Author: Dr. Tim Gray
      Publisher: Ascension Press
      Date Published: Jan. 2009
      ISBN-10: 1934217484
      ISBN-13: 978-1934217481
      Price: 12.99

      Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1934217484/catholictreas-20

      Product Description:
      Many
      Christians find prayer difficult and, as a result, do not do much of
      it. The fact is, many simply do not know how to pray. Even St Paul
      notes this sad fact when, in Romans 8:26, he says, We do not know how
      to pray as we ought. In this short book, written for a popular audience
      by well-known Catholic biblical scholar Dr. Tim Gray, we discover the
      secret of the saints which can enable us to enter into a lively
      dialogue with God. Their secret: the ancient art of Lectio Divina
      (divine, or sacred reading), which is reading, meditating on, and
      praying the Scriptures. As St. Cyprian notes, Diligently practice
      prayer and lectio divina. When you pray, you speak with God; when you
      read [the Scriptures], God speaks to you. Here, we discover that we don
      t need a mystic gene or divine epiphany to hear God; we simply need to
      take up the Bible and read.