Haystack Full of Needles, A Catholic Home Educator's Guide to Socialization

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2008
      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it
      is, put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron
      request form right away. This can usually be done online at your
      library's website.

      Title: Haystack Full of Needles, A Catholic Home Educator's Guide to
      Socialization
      Author: Alice Gunther
      Publisher: Hillside Education
      Date Published: 2008
      ISBN: 0979846951
      Price: $29.95
      Amazon link:
      http://www.amazon.com/Haystack-Needles-Catholic-Educators-Socialization/dp/0979846951/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219582910&sr=8-1

      Product Description
      Most of us at one time or another have had to wrestle with the issue
      of socialization, either when dealing with friends and family members
      who question our decision to home educate, or when in our own hearts
      we worry about our children's hopes for friendship. In this book Alice
      shows that "Socialization is not the weakness of home education it is
      its strength and joy." Alice chronicles her own path from skepticism
      about home educating's ability to provide sufficient social
      experiences for her children, to the flowering of a local home school
      group that provides its members with meaningful social experiences
      within the context of home educating. Full of examples and practical
      suggestions, this will be an extremely uplifting addition to your
      cache of home education resources.

      Editorial reviews:
      Haystack Full of Needles calls itself A Catholic Home Educator s guide
      to Socialization but in reality it is much more than that. This book
      is exactly what we need in our modern world where so many have lost
      all sense of the value of community. Gunther speaks from a mother s
      heart, recognizing the human need for community and for social
      support, especially among Catholic homeschooling families where
      feelings of isolation and not fitting in can be demoralizing and
      discouraging. Danielle Bean, Senior Editor of Faith & Family
      (FaithandFamilyMag.com) --Danielle Bean, Senior Editor of Faith and
      Family Magazine (FaithandFamilyMag.com)

      What makes Haystack Full of Needles so compelling is that it is much
      more than an explosion of the myth that homeschoolers lack proper
      socialization it is a vivid, lively, and detailed account of how
      homeschooling families can build community and friendship. The perfect
      blend of personal narrative and practical advice, Haystack Full of
      Needles is an inspiring heartwarming chronicle of the growth of a
      lively homeschooling community. At first, readers will wish they could
      live in Alice s neck of the woods and be a part of all the marvelous
      events she describes, but by the book s end, they ll be overflowing
      with excitement to put Alice s ideas into practice in their own homes,
      parishes, and homeschooling communities. --Melissa Wiley, author of
      The Martha Years series and The Charlotte Years series