Creation and Evolution: A Conference With Pope Benedict XVI (Hardcover)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2008
      The new film "Expelled" is bringing to surface a whole new subject for
      many of us: here's a brand new book to settle the issue!

      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it
      is, put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron
      request form right away. This can usually be done online at your
      library's website.

      Title: Creation and Evolution: A Conference With Pope Benedict XVI
      Author: Cardinal Christoph Schönborn (Foreword), S.D.S. Stephan Horn
      (Editor)
      Publisher: Ignatius
      Date Published: May 2008
      ISBN: 1586172344
      Price: $13.57
      Amazon link:
      http://www.amazon.com/Creation-Evolution-Conference-Pope-Benedict/dp/1586172344/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209667461&sr=1-1

      Book Description
      In 2005 the Archbishop of Vienna, Christoph Cardinal Schönborn wrote a
      guest editorial in The New York Times that sparked a worldwide debate
      about "Creation and Evolution". Pope Benedict XVI instructed the
      Cardinal to study more closely this problem and the current debate
      between "evolutionism" and "creationism," and asked the yearly
      gathering of his former students to address these questions.

      Even after Joseph Ratzinger became Pope Benedict XVI, he has continued
      to maintain close contact with the circle of his former students. The
      "study circle" (Schulerkrers) meets once a year with Pope Benedict XVI
      for a conference. Many of these former Ratzinger students have gone on
      to become acclaimed scholars, professors and writers, as well as high
      ranking Church prelates.

      This book documents the proceedings of the remarkable conference on
      the topic of "Creation and Evolution" hosted by Pope Benedict XVI in
      2006 at the papal summer residence, Castel Gandolfo. It includes
      papers that were presented from the fields of natural science,
      philosophy and theology, and records the subsequent discussion, in
      which Pope Benedict XVI himself participated.

      "Ultimately it comes down to the alternative: What came first?
      Creative Reason, the Creator Spirit who makes all things and gives
      them growth, or Unreason, which, lacking any meaning, strangely enough
      brings forth a mathematically ordered cosmos, as well as man and his
      reason. The latter, however, would then be nothing more than a chance
      result of evolution and thus, in the end, equally meaningless. As
      Christians, we say: I believe in God the Father, the Creator of heaven
      and earth. I believe in the Creator Spirit. We believe that at the
      beginning of everything is the eternal Word, with Reason and not
      Unreason."
      -- Pope Benedict XVI

      "Creation and Evolution is an extraordinary opportunity for the public
      to listen in on the conversation as some of the greatest minds in the
      Catholic Church -- theologians, philosophers, scientists, and Pope
      Benedict himself -- wrestle with one of the most thorny and
      far-reaching of topics. Participants clash repeatedly over what we
      really know about the forces that shaped life on earth, over what is
      data and what is hype, over what certain scenarios might mean even if
      they were true. I recommend it to anyone who wants to know where we
      might have come from and where we might be headed.
      -- Michael J. Behe, Lehigh University, Author of The Edge of Evolution

      "At a time when evolution is the subject of so many bitter polemics,
      it is refreshing to see theologians and scientists together to engage
      in respectful, informed, and thoughtful discussion of it."
      -- Stephen M. Barr, professor of Theoretical Physics, University of
      Delaware, and author of Modern Physics and Ancient Faith.