Homeschooling -- The Harp and Laurel Wreath

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      Title: The Harp and Laurel Wreath: Poetry and Dictation for the Classical
      Curriculum
      Author: Laura M. Berquist (Editor), Christopher J. Pelicano (Illustrator)
      Publisher: Ignatius Press
      Date Published: March 1999
      ISBN: 0898707161
      Price: Softcover $19.95
      Comments: Popular anthology of poetry for the homeschool or classroom

      From amazon.com
      All Customer Reviews
      Average Customer Review:
      Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
      Beautiful Collection of Poetry for Children, March 19, 2004
      Reviewer: love2learnmomof5 (see more about me) from Milwaukee, WI
      This collection of poetry, especially designed for those putting together a
      curriculum for children, does all the work of finding important, interesting
      and beautiful works for children to study or memorize from the simplest verses
      for young tots "The world is so full of a number of things, I'm sure we should
      all be as happy as kings" to more complex works for high school (such as "Ode
      to a Grecian Urn" by John Keats) that include study questions and an answer
      key. This is a true treasure especially for homeschool parents and teachers -
      it's so comprehensive and easy to use.
      It's not the only poetry book you should own (there certainly is a place for
      beautifully illustrated poetry books to pick up for pleasure reading as well),
      but it is a real gem and a great value.

      Twaddle-free Copywork, October 9, 2003

      Reviewer: A reader from Small-town America

      This is *the* all-in-one resource for your classical copywork, dictation, and
      memory work needs. Laura Berquist has done all the legwork for busy
      homeschooling parents, bringing together a lovely selection of poetry and organizing it
      according to the stages of the trivium. Selections for the rhetorical stage
      include study questions, so the book could double as a literature text in the
      upper grades.
      One note to clear up a misconception by another reviewer: This isn't meant to
      be a comprehensive poetry anthology for reading aloud - plenty of these are
      available - but rather a sourcebook for classical language arts. It's an
      attractive enough book, with black-and-white line drawings on some pages, but not a
      decorative one; that's not its purpose. The emphasis is on language
      throughout, not visuals. But that's part of the appeal for classical homeschoolers.
      All in all, this is a wonderful time-saving resource for your classical
      homeschool.

      5 of 16 people found the following review helpful:
      Not at all colorful or fun to read for parents or students, July 22, 2003

      Reviewer: A reader

      We have this book - in fact, we have had it for six years and have never used
      it. I have tried, but it is too boring to use. Poetry should be colorful and
      beautiful. Not page after page of poetic text to read. I suggest getting some
      classic poetry books - full of color and pictures - and reading the beautiful
      words to your children. This book is one to skip.

      114 of 120 people found the following review helpful:
      The Harp and Laurel Wreath, December 14, 1999
      Reviewer: A reader from Aberdeen, South Dakota, USA
      The road to truth is paved with beauty and goodness. The way we can help our
      children love what is true is by introducing them to those things that are
      beautiful and good. Beauty and goodness come to us primarily through art and
      literature. It is literature that Berquits provides us with. And she sets it
      forward in a useful fashion as a way to teach beauty to children. The literature in
      the book is children of all ages--adutls not excluded. But it is arranged in
      ascending ages so that a first grader will not be overwhelmed by that which is
      more appropriate for a ninth grader. This collection of poetry and prose is
      appropriate for instilling a love of beauty in the mind and heart. There is no
      garbage here, nothing obscene and ugly. It is without a doubt a classical
      curriculum. Those who will find this book helpful are teachers, parents, and
      homeschoolers who wish to give their children a love of beauty and wonder. But any
      person with good taste and a love of poetry will enjoy this book as well.
      Hopefully that is the majority of us.