For the Love of Literature

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2008
      In the spirit of full disclosure, I am the author of this book.

      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it is,
      put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron request form right
      away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

      Title: For the Love of Literature
      Author: Maureen Wittmann
      Publisher: Ecce Homo Press
      Date Published: December 2007
      ISBN-10: 0979760909
      ISBN-13: 978-0979760907
      Price: $12.95, softcover
      Comments: This is an important book for librarians to stock, not only on the
      lending shelves, but also on their personal reference shelves.
      (http://homeschoolingandlibraries.wordpress.com/2008/01/06/for-the-love-of-literature-by-maureen-wittmann/) ,
      Adrienne Furness, New York Librarian and author of Helping Homeschoolers in the
      Library (American Library Association)
      Author links: _www.maureenwittmann.com_ (http://www.maureenwittmann.com/)
      and _www.maureenwittmann.blogspot.com_
      Amazon.com link:
      _http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0979760909/catholictreas-20_ (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592763316/catholictreas-20)

      Review by Alicia Van Hecke, _www.love2learn.net_ (http://www.love2learn.net/)

      I'm so excited about Maureen Wittmann's new book, For the Love of Literature,
      available from Ecce Homo Press. Maureen is a kindred spirit in the "living
      books" department and I know this book will be a favorite on my shelf for many
      years to come. I’ve already recommended it to several friends who are
      interested in the way our family homeschools.
      For the Love of Literature is a project Maureen has been working on for
      years. It's designed especially for Catholic homeschool parents, though it would be
      useful to any parent. It's a well-organized guide to using real books –
      biographies, historical fiction, beautiful picture books, etc. – to study any
      subject area of interest. The book lists are extensive and up-to-date (she only
      included books currently in print) which means, among other things, that this is
      an extremely useful resource for using your library well.
      My family is slated to pick the books for our local library's “Holiday Tree”
      this year. This is a project to encourage patrons to donate new books to the
      library. The emphasis this Christmas season is on Popular Non-Fiction and
      Junior Non-Fiction. I will definitely use For the Love of Literature to sift for
      Whether you want to create a living-books curriculum for your family, or
      simply supplement your children’s current studies, this is the book for you!
      “Maureen Wittmann’s outlook is positive and inspiring. I, for one, am very
      excited about the release of For the Love of Literature!”
      --Adrienne Furness, author and librarian
      “Maureen Wittmann’s new book For the Love of Literature is an essential
      addition to the library of any Catholic homeschooling family – or anyone who just
      loves books! I heartily endorse the “method” of teaching through books rather
      than textbooks, and while history and literature figure prominently, the
      suggestions for math and science books are especially helpful. Some other
      homeschooling guides provide lists of books, usually in an appendix, but this is the
      first I’ve seen where these lists make up the guide itself. Wittmann’s
      well-organized and carefully researched lists could be used either as a supplement to
      an established homeschooling curriculum or as a stand-alone curriculum in and
      of themselves.”
      -- Anne Schuchman, Department of Italian Studies, New York University
      “I have no doubt For the Love of Literature will prove to be a valuable tool
      for new homeschoolers, veteran homeschoolers, public school teachers,
      librarians, private school board members, your teacher-aunt, your neighbor with the
      2-year-old and the new baby, your pregnant cousin, all parents who have a love
      for their children, and even the niece or nephew headed to college.
      Maureen calls her book a "glorified booklist" but it is way more than that.
      She has done a job of extensive research in putting this book together so you
      and your children (no matter how or where they are educated) can enjoy the
      ripe benefits of continuing their education through the love of literature.
      On behalf of all parents who devote their lives to educating their children
      for life, thank you, Maureen, for all you've done and all you continue to do
      for us!”
      -- Cay Gibson, author, Catholic Mosaic
      “Maureen Wittmann has mapped out a lifetime reading plan that will be useful
      to children, teens, and adults alike. Literature is an important part of any
      integral Catholic education – and our Catholic education is never finished on
      this side of heaven. This book provides a significant help in seeing how
      literature can be used to teach and emphasize the foundational values that lie at
      the heart of a truly Catholic education.”
      -- Reverend Kris D. Stubna, S.T.D., Secretary for Education, Diocese of
      “Maureen Wittmann has done us all a great service with this book. Raising
      children to love the adventure of visiting new worlds and seeing new people with
      new ideas is one of the greatest thrills a parent can have. Books are everybody
      ’s free ticket to that adventure and Wittmann is a fine guide for the journey!

      -- Mark Shea, Senior Content Editor, CatholicExchange.com
      “If you’ve ever wanted a book to read about science, or math; if you’ve ever
      searched for a book to help interest your child in music or art; if you love
      literature and want a book for any subject, any grade; For the Love of
      Literature is your book. A reference for every homeschooling family, Maureen Wittmann
      has done the research for you and found books on every subject and every
      grade level, including high school. You need this book for your homeschool.”
      -- Nancy C. Brown, author, The Father Brown Reader
      “Maureen Wittmann has put together not only a comprehensive book list, but
      also a helpful guide to choosing the right educational approach, tips for making
      full use of public libraries, and inspiration for studying fine art and
      music. For the Love of Literature is a gift for all variety of homeschooling
      -- Danielle Bean, author, Mom to Mom, Day to Day
      “Anyone who loves ‘living books’ – those very real books about all sorts of
      wonderful topics that are engaging, educational, formative and often written
      by enthusiasts of a very particular subject – will love this guide which
      provides extensive reading lists organized by subject AND numerous ways to
      incorporate ‘living books’ into your curriculum.”
      -- Alicia Van Hecke, www.love2learn.net
      “Do you love literature? Maureen Wittmann does. And, she’s written a book
      about how to teach core subjects with literature. For the Love of Literature,
      which Maureen humbly calls ‘a glorified booklist’ is the result of a great deal
      of research. It includes about 950 titles, sorted by subject with age
      recommendations (including books for high-school students). I’ll take that kind of
      glorified booklist and learn from it, thank you very much.”
      -- Karen Edmisten, karenedmisten.blogspot.com