For the Love of Literature

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2007
      I just got my copy and this will be an asset to any borrower of any
      library! I will post it when we have an Amazon link and links to
      reviews. Ana.

      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it
      is, put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron
      request form right away. This can usually be done online at your
      library's website.

      Title: For the Love of Literature, Teaching Core Subjects with Literature
      Author: Maureen Wittman
      Publisher: Ecce Homo Press
      Date Published: December 2007
      ISBN: 9780979760907
      Price: $12.95

      Book's/Publisher's website:
      http://members.aol.com/EcceHomoPr/EcceHomoPress.html

        Author: Maureen Wittmann
        Publisher: Ecce Homo Press
        Date Published: December 2007
        ISBN-10: 0979760909
        ISBN-13: 978-0979760907
        Price: $12.95, softcover
        Comments: This is an important book for librarians to stock, not only on the
        lending shelves, but also on their personal reference shelves.
        Review:
        _http://homeschoolingandlibraries.wordpress.com/2008/01/06/for-the-love-of-literature-by-maureen-wittmann/_
        (http://homeschoolingandlibraries.wordpress.com/2008/01/06/for-the-love-of-literature-by-maureen-wittmann/) ,
        Adrienne Furness, New York Librarian and author of Helping Homeschoolers in the
        Library (American Library Association)
        Author links: _www.maureenwittmann.com_ (http://www.maureenwittmann.com/)
        and _www.maureenwittmann.blogspot.com_
        (http://www.maureenwittmann.blogspot.com/)
        Amazon.com link:
        _http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0979760909/catholictreas-20_ (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592763316/catholictreas-20)

        Review by Alicia Van Hecke, _www.love2learn.net_ (http://www.love2learn.net/)

        I'm so excited about Maureen Wittmann's new book, For the Love of Literature,
        available from Ecce Homo Press. Maureen is a kindred spirit in the "living
        books" department and I know this book will be a favorite on my shelf for many
        years to come. I’ve already recommended it to several friends who are
        interested in the way our family homeschools.
        For the Love of Literature is a project Maureen has been working on for
        years. It's designed especially for Catholic homeschool parents, though it would be
        useful to any parent. It's a well-organized guide to using real books –
        biographies, historical fiction, beautiful picture books, etc. – to study any
        subject area of interest. The book lists are extensive and up-to-date (she only
        included books currently in print) which means, among other things, that this is
        an extremely useful resource for using your library well.
        My family is slated to pick the books for our local library's “Holiday Tree”
        this year. This is a project to encourage patrons to donate new books to the
        library. The emphasis this Christmas season is on Popular Non-Fiction and
        Junior Non-Fiction. I will definitely use For the Love of Literature to sift for
        ideas.
        Whether you want to create a living-books curriculum for your family, or
        simply supplement your children’s current studies, this is the book for you!
        Endorsements:
        “Maureen Wittmann’s outlook is positive and inspiring. I, for one, am very
        excited about the release of For the Love of Literature!”
        --Adrienne Furness, author and librarian
        “Maureen Wittmann’s new book For the Love of Literature is an essential
        addition to the library of any Catholic homeschooling family – or anyone who just
        loves books! I heartily endorse the “method” of teaching through books rather
        than textbooks, and while history and literature figure prominently, the
        suggestions for math and science books are especially helpful. Some other
        homeschooling guides provide lists of books, usually in an appendix, but this is the
        first I’ve seen where these lists make up the guide itself. Wittmann’s
        well-organized and carefully researched lists could be used either as a supplement to
        an established homeschooling curriculum or as a stand-alone curriculum in and
        of themselves.”
        -- Anne Schuchman, Department of Italian Studies, New York University
        “I have no doubt For the Love of Literature will prove to be a valuable tool
        for new homeschoolers, veteran homeschoolers, public school teachers,
        librarians, private school board members, your teacher-aunt, your neighbor with the
        2-year-old and the new baby, your pregnant cousin, all parents who have a love
        for their children, and even the niece or nephew headed to college.
        Maureen calls her book a "glorified booklist" but it is way more than that.
        She has done a job of extensive research in putting this book together so you
        and your children (no matter how or where they are educated) can enjoy the
        ripe benefits of continuing their education through the love of literature.
        On behalf of all parents who devote their lives to educating their children
        for life, thank you, Maureen, for all you've done and all you continue to do
        for us!”
        -- Cay Gibson, author, Catholic Mosaic
        “Maureen Wittmann has mapped out a lifetime reading plan that will be useful
        to children, teens, and adults alike. Literature is an important part of any
        integral Catholic education – and our Catholic education is never finished on
        this side of heaven. This book provides a significant help in seeing how
        literature can be used to teach and emphasize the foundational values that lie at
        the heart of a truly Catholic education.”
        -- Reverend Kris D. Stubna, S.T.D., Secretary for Education, Diocese of
        Pittsburgh
        “Maureen Wittmann has done us all a great service with this book. Raising
        children to love the adventure of visiting new worlds and seeing new people with
        new ideas is one of the greatest thrills a parent can have. Books are everybody
        ’s free ticket to that adventure and Wittmann is a fine guide for the journey!

        -- Mark Shea, Senior Content Editor, CatholicExchange.com
        “If you’ve ever wanted a book to read about science, or math; if you’ve ever
        searched for a book to help interest your child in music or art; if you love
        literature and want a book for any subject, any grade; For the Love of
        Literature is your book. A reference for every homeschooling family, Maureen Wittmann
        has done the research for you and found books on every subject and every
        grade level, including high school. You need this book for your homeschool.”
        -- Nancy C. Brown, author, The Father Brown Reader
        “Maureen Wittmann has put together not only a comprehensive book list, but
        also a helpful guide to choosing the right educational approach, tips for making
        full use of public libraries, and inspiration for studying fine art and
        music. For the Love of Literature is a gift for all variety of homeschooling
        families!”
        -- Danielle Bean, author, Mom to Mom, Day to Day
        “Anyone who loves ‘living books’ – those very real books about all sorts of
        wonderful topics that are engaging, educational, formative and often written
        by enthusiasts of a very particular subject – will love this guide which
        provides extensive reading lists organized by subject AND numerous ways to
        incorporate ‘living books’ into your curriculum.”
        -- Alicia Van Hecke, www.love2learn.net
        “Do you love literature? Maureen Wittmann does. And, she’s written a book
        about how to teach core subjects with literature. For the Love of Literature,
        which Maureen humbly calls ‘a glorified booklist’ is the result of a great deal
        of research. It includes about 950 titles, sorted by subject with age
        recommendations (including books for high-school students). I’ll take that kind of
        glorified booklist and learn from it, thank you very much.”
        -- Karen Edmisten, karenedmisten.blogspot.com