Checking out books / Using this list

    Message 1 of 1 , May 26 2:56 PM
      Dear List Members,

      Hope that you all don't think that I have forgotten you :-). I had to make an unexpectant trip to my hometown for family business, so I have not been able to keep up on emails. Additionally, June is a crazy month for me as I have three homeschooling conferences to attend (MN, MI, and CA). For this reason, email will be light on this list for the next month.

      In the meantime, let's talk about another way of getting libraries to order the books that we love. CHECK THEM OUT! Search your library catalog for favorite books and authors. I just reserved some obscure books by Fr. John Hardon that I never imagined that my library would ever in a million years carry. But I checked anyway, and lo and behold, there they were.

      Librarians order books that will be checked out often. If lots of people, like you and your friends, are checking out a certain genre, then your librarian will be more likely to order those types of books in the future.

      Now, here is a reminder of how to use this list effectively:

      I send out information on books of interest to our group. If you see a book that you would like your library to carry, go to their website to see if it is already in the library card catalog. If it is not, then fill out a patron request form. Most libraries offer such a form online.

      This is a very effective way to get good books in your library. I have already had list members report to me that their public libraries have purchased the books they requested.

      And once your library purchases the books that you have requested, make sure to check them out!