A Day on Skates, Commemorative Edition, by Hilda Van Stockum

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2007
      I had no luck with this one. My librarian said they will not purchase
      it. I did reply lamenting the fact, and telling them a bit more about
      the excellent books published by Bethlehem.
      Good luck!

      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it
      is, put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron
      request form right away. This can usually be done online at your
      library's website.

      Title: A Day on Skates, 2007 Commemorative Edition
      Author: Hilda van Stockum
      Illustrated by Hilda van Stockum
      44 pp, Hardcover, Ages 4-up
      (Amazon doesn't have it yet, it's new).

      From Publisher: In honor of her life and work, Bethlehem Books is very
      happy to bring back one of the most delightful family books ever
      written. With this 1935 Newbery Honor book, author/illustrator Hilda
      van Stockum made her debut into the world of children's books. Within
      its pages she adroitly captures Dutch life as it was in the early part
      of the 20th century.
      Twins Afke and Evert have a particularly understanding
      teacher who decides to take his class on a winter skating trip to a
      nearby town. Evert and his buddies, shy Simon and loyal Afke all have
      their share of adventures. Everyone (Teacher most of all) breathes a
      happy sigh of relief upon arriving home safely after a very full day.
      Seven full-color paintings and numerous line drawings
      enliven this 2007 Commemorative Edition. With a new special feature
      "Hilda van Stockum: A Legacy of Light" describing her life and
      literary history.