Adult: Ten Dates Every Catholic Should Know

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2006
      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it is,
      put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron request form right
      away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

      Title: Ten Dates Every Catholic Should Know
      Author: Diane Moczar
      Publisher: Sophia Institute Press
      Date Published: Feb., 2006
      ISBN: 1933184159
      Price: 13.95
      Comments: The divine surprises and chastisements that shaped the Church and
      changed the world.

      From the publisher, http://www.sophiainstitute.com/
      Here are the saints and sinners, popes and kings that God used to shape his
      Church and change the world. You’ll meet Clovis and Charlemagne, Luther and
      Pope Leo, Suleiman and St. Francis, the Arians, the Franks, the Huguenots, and
      others whose sins or sacrifices altered the course of history.
      Here, too, are the wars and plagues, the ideas and institutions — and, yes,
      the miracles — that gave birth to our Christian civilization and often
      threatened to doom it. Experience the battles of Tours and Lepanto, the Crusades, the
      Russian Revolution, and Fatima, the miracle that foretold (and offered a way
      to prevent) the conflicts that killed millions in the twentieth century.
      Wars and terrorism have rendered the first years of our new century no less
      bloody. Has God now abandoned us?
      Ten Dates Every Catholic Should Know finds the answer in history: from the
      first days of the Christian era, at key moments when civilization hung in the
      balance, God has intervened — sometimes subtly, sometimes dramatically — but
      ever and always he has come forward himself or given strength to those who were
      faithful to him. Consider, for example:
      Constantine, the pagan general who, in a desperate hour, saw a vision that
      made him a Christian and led to the conversion of the entire Roman Empire
      Pope St. Leo, who confronted Attila the Hun face-to-face and, without sword
      or dagger, turned back this “Scourge of God” and all his murderous hordes
      The surprising victories of the outgunned armies that thrust back the Moors,
      the Turks, and the barbarians — just when Christendom faced annihilation
      Plus: St. Genevieve, Pepin the Short, Pope St. Pius V, St. Margaret Mary, and
      countless others who, in crucial moments, were called by God to save his
      people and give new life to our culture and his Church.
      Ten Dates Every Catholic Should Know is essential reading for any Catholic
      who wants to understand the history of our Faith. But it will give you more than
      knowledge: you’ll close this book with renewed confidence that no matter how
      dark and dangerous the times may be, God has never abandoned his people . . .
      and never will.

      From amazon.com,
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1933184159/catholictreas-20
      Customer Reviews

      Divine Surprises, October 21, 2006
      Diane Moczar has done the seemingly impossible: written a terrific,
      thematically complete and coherent history of the two-thousand-year-old Catholic Church
      in about 170 pages. She is able to accomplish this feat by her wise choice of
      format. Instead of deploying the usual artificial breaks in time like "Dark
      Ages" or "Reformation," she identifies ten events that have served as hinges
      upon which Catholic and civilizational history turned. She then examines these
      hinges -- the conversion of Constantine, the Baptism of Clovis, the crowning of
      Charlemagne, etc. -- for their significance, and links them in a chain all
      the way to Fatima and the twentieth century.

      The chapter on Clovis's baptism is fascinating. As Rome disintegrates in the
      West, a fifteen-year-old Frankish pagan assumes the throne in Gaul. For a time
      it seems that the king is impervious to conversion. But the patient witness
      of both his saintly wife (St.) Clotilda and the bishop St. Remigius wears him
      down, and he is baptised to great aplomb on Christmas Day in 496. Western
      civilization thus survives an existential crisis, and a foundation is laid for the
      era of Christendom ushered in by Charlemagne three centuries later.

      Readers should know that Ms. Moczar is a decidedly Catholic historian. She
      attempts to discern the hand of God -- Providence -- in the events she
      describes. You may disagree with some of her conclusions about the heaviness of His
      hand in this event or that, but she is nonetheless a first-rate scholar and, just
      as importantly, an excellent writer with crisp prose.

      "Ten Dates" would make an interesting selection for a Catholic book club, as
      members could explore a chapter-length event per month. Ms. Moczar's style is
      very accessible, and readers as young as high-school-age will have no
      difficulty navigating the text.

      Highly Recommended, April 29, 2006
      Reviewer:Michael Johnson
      I purchased this book randomly after browsing through the selections of a
      small catholic book store. Since the author was unknown to me my expectations
      were rather low and the book actually sat undisturbed on my nightstand for a
      couple of weeks. However when I finally began to read the book I found the
      contents so riveting I couldn't put it down.

      As a recent catholic convert and an individual who unjustifiably fancies
      himself an amateur historian, to me this book was a revelation. I had never prev
      iously read a history from a catholic perspective and this book was the perfect
      introduction. I'm convinced the thesis of this small book could be expanding
      into a phenomenal multivolume work.

      I found the author's chapters entitled "The Protestant Catastrophe" and "The
      Age of Revolution" especially fascinating. These chapters made clear concepts
      I was only beginning to independently form.

      This book found its way into my hands at just the right time and has had a
      profound effect on how I view history.

      Stop the Presses!, Reviewer:Matt I. Federoff
      I am teaching a class of Catholic high school students about the Middle Ages,
      leading into the decline of Christendom. The chapter I opened up to was "The
      Protestant Catastrophe" and it alone is worth the price of the book. It clears
      up the confusion about the climate that produced such a fractured Christian
      world (hint: it wasn't about the moral laxity of the clergy or even doubts
      about the Real Presence. It was much more about the weakened spiritual state of
      the laity and the rise of nationalism.) I could easily follow when the author
      "connected the dots" and frankly, "followed the money" (the rising wealth of the
      merchant and business man in a prospering proto-capitalistic society) to show
      how easily men's hearts were turned from God to wordly affairs.
      Great book!