Homeschooling: The Catholic Homeschool Companion

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2006
      In the spirit of full disclosure, I should let you know that I am co-editor
      of this book. I hesitated suggesting it for this list since Catholic
      homeschooling is a niche within a niche. However, my librarian is ordering a copy
      and thinks that other libraries will do the same. I do have to admit that I
      know of several libraries that carried my previous homeschooling book.
      Blessings, Maureen :)

      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it is,
      put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron request form
      right away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

      Title: The Catholic Homeschool Companion
      Author: Maureen Wittmann and Rachel Mackson, eds.
      Publisher: Sophia Institute Press
      Date Published: February 2006
      ISBN: 1933184167
      Price: Softcover $24.95 (482 pages)
      Comments: Available for 20% off at _www.maureenwittmann.com_
      (http://www.maureenwittmann.com) . Table of Contents at
      _http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip061/2005028870.html_ (http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip061/2005028870.html)

      Endorsements:

      "This is truly the 'companion' all Catholic homeschooling families need.
      Some of the best and brightest Catholics contribute their expertise on a wide
      range of topics critical for successful homeschooling."
      -- Cathy Duffy, Author, 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum (_Grove
      Publishing_ (http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/) )
      "This book is awesome, a real treasure trove of information about
      homeschooling. It will surely give confidence to any parents who are considering
      homeschooling their children. Wittmann and Mackson are to be commended for the work
      they've done."
      -- Matthew Pinto, Author, Did Adam & Eve Have Belly Buttons?
      'The Catholic Homeschool Companion is an invaluable resource for any
      Catholic parent who seeks to form their children, not only in knowledge, but in
      wisdom and love.'
      -- Mark Shea, Senior Content Editor, _CatholicExchange.com_
      (http://catholicexchange.com/)
      "Homeschooling, rooted in sacrificial love, comes with many responsibilities
      and challenges. Mrs. Wittmann's insightful and inspiring book will be an
      indispensable help to these Catholic families."
      -- Reverend Kris D. Stubna, S.T.D., Secretary for Education, Diocese of
      Pittsburgh
      "The Catholic Homeschool Companion manages to give its readers an unbiased
      look at a wide variety of different homeschooling methods along with a great
      wealth of resources, information, inspiration, and support. There is
      something for everyone in this book!"
      -- _Danielle Bean_ (http://www.daniellebean.com/) , Author, My Cup of Tea:
      Musings of a Catholic Mom
      "Homeschooling your children in a Catholic environment can be a daunting
      task, the key to which requires the right support and reliable resources. With
      The Catholic Homeschool Companion, Maureen Wittmann offers a primer on how to
      begin and how to succeed in this laudable effort."
      -- Gerry Korson, Editor, _Our Sunday Visitor_ (http://osv.com/)
      "The word 'companion' in a book title implies a book you'll turn to for
      support and inspiration time and time again. The Catholic Homeschool Companion is
      well named indeed."
      -- _Melissa Wiley_ (http://home.earthlink.net/~melissawiley/) , author, The
      Martha Years and The Charlotte Years series
      From the back cover:
      Here’s your one-stop resource for information, insight, and inspiration
      about every aspect of educating your children at home — written by those who
      understand it best: homeschooling parents themselves!
      Would you like to teach science or phonics better? Introduce your child to
      Latin, piano, or great works of art? Try new classroom approaches that other
      parents find effective? In these pages, you’ll find helpful essays from more
      than forty veteran homeschooling parents to help you do all this and more. You’
      ll also find wise advice and practical tips to make you a better teacher and
      your homeschool more productive and enjoyable.
      Of course, homeschooling involves more than academics. That’s why The
      Catholic Homeschool Companion includes essays to help you foster your children’s
      moral and spiritual development, involve time-challenged dads, teach kids with
      special needs or in special circumstances, and handle other common problems
      homeschoolers face.
      Are you frustrated trying to fulfill state academic standards or diocesan
      requirements for sacramental preparation? No problem!
      Here’s shrewd advice from parents who’ve fought those battles already. There
      ’s also humor to lighten your heart when the daily grind gets you down, and,
      for those really bad times when you wonder whether homeschooling is even
      worth it, The Catholic Homeschool Companion brings you heartening testimony from
      teenagers and young adults who tell how grateful they are that their parents
      taught them at home.
      Information, insight, and inspiration: it’s all right here in The Catholic
      Homeschool Companion, the must-own resource for new and experienced
      homeschoolers alike.
      From amazon.com:
      Lots of New Resources!, February 10, 2006
      Reviewer: Nancy Brown (Illinois) I wrote a chapter in this book, as well as
      did proofreading for it. The most amazing thing about this book is that I
      found new resources and ideas. I'm a homeschooling veteran, so it takes a lot
      for me to get excited about a homeschooling item.

      When I read many of the essays, I discovered new things for math, new things
      for science, and new things for literature. I was so excited, I couldn't
      wait for the book to get out so I could recommend it to all homeschoolers.

      Catholic homeschoolers will appreciate the faith-filled pages, but all
      Christian homeschoolers will find support, guidance, humor and love in the pages
      of this book. The authors wrote to share their stories, but also to share
      resources, ideas, help and knowledge. This book is a real gift to the
      homeschooling community.

      There are chapters written by dads and older homeschooling students, too,
      which I found so encouraging to read. This book goes beyond what most
      homeschooling books can do because it has over 40 authors. That's a lot of good ideas
      in one book.

      Goes Beyond the Nuts and Bolts, February 7, 2006
      Reviewer: Melissa Ramirez Naasko "Naasko Family" (Colorado) - I am a
      contributing author to this book, so I am not unbiased. However, that said, I have
      also read the book and found so many essays which were thought provoking
      treatments on pedagogy, as well as more practical elements such as home
      management and mother's well-being. There are also essays authored by and directed
      towards fathers, who are under-represented in this subject matter. This book is
      as useful to those starting out as well as those who are preparing children
      for high school and college. This is a necessary book for those interested in
      or actively involved in Catholic education in the home.