Children -- Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati: Journey to the Summit

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2006
      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it is,
      put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron request form
      right away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

      Title: Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati: Journey to the Summit
      Author: Ana Maria Vazquez
      Publisher: Pauline Books and Media
      Date Published: February 2004
      ISBN: 0819811653
      Price: $5.95, softcover
      Comments: Bl. Pier has been brought to the public's attention through
      Olympic cross country skier Rebecca Dussault.

      From my blog (maureenwittmann.blogspot.com):

      Have you been following the story of Olympian Rebecca Dussault? If not,
      click here: _Olympic skier attracts media attention for devotion to faith,
      family_ (http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0600971.htm) , to read an
      article on her story. Great story! (Thanks to Linda for sending the link to me.)

      Her personal website is: _www.dussaultskis.com_
      (http://www.dussaultskis.com/)

      Also check out this children's book by Pauline Media on Dussault's patron:
      _Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati: Journey to the Summit_
      (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0819811653/catholictreas-20/) by Ana Maria Vazquez

      Here's one for grownups, also from Pauline: _Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati:
      An Ordinary Christian_
      (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0819811629/catholictreas-20/) by Maria Di Lorenzo

      And from Ignatius Press: _A Man of the Beatitudes: Pier Giorgio Frassati _
      (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0898708613/catholictreas-20/) by
      Luciana Frassati

      Review from amazon.com:
      Parents of boys interested in sports and thinking manliness and Godliness
      don't mix, owe it to their sons to introduce them to the life of Pier Giorgio
      Frassati. Though a continent and a century removed, Pier Giorgio shared the
      same idealism, problems and interests as our own young people. His teenage years
      were interupted by World War I; his parents didn't understand him; he
      struggled with his studies. He loved to climb and ski and hike the mountains of
      Italy and sports were his passion. But his greater passions were the love of God
      as expressed in his daily attendance at Mass and all-night Adoration, and
      his special love of, and personal sacrifices for, the poor. At his death, at
      the age of 24, he was personally, finacially responsible for 120 poor families.
      No wonder, Pope John Paul II called him the "Man of the Beatitudes". His
      life is an incredible read for any young man.