Children -- The First Christians

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2005
      Check to see if this title is already in your library's catalog. If it is,
      put a hold on it and check it out. If not, fill out a patron request form right
      away. This can usually be done online at your library's website.

      Title: The First Christians: The Acts of the Apostles for Children
      Author: Marigold Hunt
      Publisher: Sophia Institute Press, USA
      Date Published: January 2004
      ISBN: 1928832326
      Price: $14.05 softcover
      Comments: The Acts of Apostles rewritten for children.

      From www.love2learn.com:

      The sequel to A Life of Our Lord for Children, this title by Marigold Hunt
      tells the story of the infant Church. After a few introductory remarks, the
      story begins with the Pentecost (Acts 1) and ends with Paul's visit to the Jews of
      Rome (Acts 28). The beauty of this book is the wonderful storytelling style
      of Hunt. It is a great book to read aloud because then it really sounds as if
      she is speaking to us. One day I was reading out loud to my nine year-old and
      all the other children had gathered around. My eleven year-old said, "That's a
      cool author." I know he meant, "I love to hear the way that author tells a
      story."

      At the beginning of each chapter Hunt lists the corresponding chapters from
      Acts of the Apostles. At various points in the text she recommends the reader
      go and read from the Bible. For example, when she describes the Pentecost, she
      suggests that the reader reads Peter's speech which is recorded in Acts 2. She
      calls it the "very first sermon of the very first pope." I have to admit that
      when I read her suggestions, I wanted to hop up and read the Bible version!
      Hunt selects particular tales from Acts, saying that she couldn't tell all that
      happened. However, she selects those that would be of most interest to young
      readers. For example, she chooses to include the story of Philip running next
      to the chariot of the Treasurer to tell him about the Faith, which is kind of
      a funny image. Hunt also does a good job explaining the problem that
      Christians Jews had with gentiles becoming Christian without keeping the "law of
      Moses," and how it was resolved. She makes it clear that Peter makes the final
      decision, and that when he does, everyone accepts it, clearly establishing him
      historically as the leader of the Church. With every story she explains things in
      ways a child would understand by comparing them to things in our own time.

      As with A Life of Our Lord for Children, this edition, reissued in 2004, is
      illustrated by Ted Schluenderfritz (a homeschooling dad!). His drawings add
      greatly to the text. This is a book that will appeal to all children and is a joy
      to read aloud. It could be read independently by a 4th grader.

      From www.sophiainstitute.com:
      Marigold Hunt, author of A Life of Our Lord for Children, here continues the
      tale of Jesus and His Church by retelling for children the events reported in
      The Acts of the Apostles, St. Luke’s account of the dangerous early days of
      the Church.
      Focusing on the deeds and experiences of Sts. Peter, Paul, Luke, and
      Barnabas, author Hunt shows children that the Catholic Church which today seems so
      ancient and established was born in turbulent times, when merely professing
      belief in Christ could get you killed — and not by rowdies and brigands, but by
      public officials carrying out their sworn duty.
      Time and again, the apostles wind up in jail (some for years), and time and
      again God frees them by miracles of one sort or another. With Christian hope
      and great good cheer, they take up again the task with which Christ charged them
      just before He ascended into Heaven: “Go forth and teach all nations.”
      By foot, on horseback, and on frail craft tossed in stormy seas, they do just
      that, preaching and teaching their way across much of the known world,
      winning converts and establishing churches in Palestine, Crete, Cyprus, Malta,
      Phoenicia, the lands that are now Turkey, and even in Rome itself, the pagan
      capital of the anti-Christian Empire.
      Along the way, the apostles heal the sick, cast out devils, and work other
      miracles. They face down mobs, evade murder plots, and defend themselves in
      courts in city after city. In the midst of it all, Peter — whose authority as the
      first Pope was accepted by all of the apostles — settles disputes that arise
      among the Christians and between the new Churches.
      All this and more is told in The First Christians, the thrilling — and true —
      saga of the lives and works of the first apostles of Jesus.