Success Story

    Message 1 of 13 , May 8, 2004
      Dear List Members,

      Fellow list member Sharon sent the following email to me:

      Hi Maureen,

      Before your list started, I "Suggested" some items from the La Leche
      League catalog. It has been about 4-6 weeks and I have noticed them on
      my "Hold" requests so it appears the library has indeed ordered them . .
      . !!!

      Although our library doesn't have a space for the ISBN, they do have a
      field to enter the price of the book and also if the book is hardback or
      softcover. I do not know if having the price readily available helps
      their decision to order the book???.. . .

      Thanks for your lists!

      Joyfully,

      Thank you for sharing Sharon, I always like to hear success stories! Maybe
      I'll add the price and hardcover/softcover info to the emails. If anyone
      else's library asks for information that I do not have in my emails, please let me
      know.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 12, 2004
        It pays to fill out those patron request forms. This recent email is from
        list member Nancy:

        "OH! I had a surprise. Yesterday, the library called and told me two
        books I'd requested were in. Usually that means ILL. So, imagine my
        delight when I picked up Living the Mysteries, and Letters to a Young
        Catholic, and saw that the library had actually PURCHASED them for
        our collection! Thanks for your St. Nicholas list, because without
        that, this would not have happened! Now, our library has at least two
        good books, and maybe the reason I haven't heard about others is that
        they are actually ordering them, which is so thrilling.
        Have a great day,"

        . . . Thanks for keeping me up-to-date Nancy!

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 27, 2005
          I received the following email from a list member. Thanks for sharing
          Linda!!!!

          Hi Maureen,

          Just wanted to send you some feedback that my library has never refused a
          legitimate purchase request I've made. Most of the books you suggest are
          already in the system, and the remainder that I suggest for purchase have
          all been purchased.

          Keep up the good work!

          In Christ,

          Linda

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 29 5:00 PM
            Dear List Members,

            I would like to share the following success story with you . . .

            Dear Maureen,

            My library has already ordered the Christopher West tapes. In fact, they
            have been purchasing all of my requests lately. I can't believe how easy this
            is!!!

            Keep up the good work!
            Suzie

            Thank you Suzie for sharing! My library is also ordering the Christopher
            West BOT. It's a revolution <g>.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 11, 2006
              Dear List Members,

              I love hearing success stories from you all. I've been lax in sending
              emails to you lately, and needed a little kick in the pants (figuratively speaking
              :-)). Hearing about the success of others in getting good Catholic books
              into their libraries helps all of keep the course. Don't give up, keep sending
              those purchase suggestions to your librarians!

              Now for that success story, from list member Sharon:

              Do you still want to know about "successes?" I requested "Did Jesus Have a
              Last Name?" and (I am not sure of the exact title on this one) "We have a
              Pope" -about Benedict XVI. Both of these were purchased and I checked them out.

              Thank you Sharon; keep up the great work!
              maureenwittmann.com
              maureenwittmann.blogspot.com

              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2006
                Dear List Members,

                If you wonder if all this library requesting is worth the time, read this
                email that I received from Sharon:

                I just did a check of some titles I requested. On Feb 11, I requested Why Do
                Catholics Eat Fish on Friday? My library system now has this book and I have
                reserved it. All three copies are currently checked out and I am the only one
                on the reserve list.

                Thank you Sharon for sharing your success story!

                www.maureenwittmann.com
                www.maureenwittmann.blogspot.com

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1 2:52 PM
                  Dear Library Evangelists,

                  I received this email today:

                  **************************
                  Dear Maureen,

                  I just did my periodic check of books I have requested my library system buy.
                  My library now has the Dawn Eden book. It purchased 5 copies; all are
                  currently checked out or being held for someone. I am the only person on the
                  request list.

                  My library system did own the Josh Harris when you posted about it. I did
                  check that out.

                  --
                  Sharon
                  ****************************

                  I love stories like this -- so cool! Thank you everyone who has made a point
                  to request good books from their library.

                  Now Sharon, make sure that you and all your friends check out those Dawn Eden
                  and Josh Harris books that the library keeps buying them!!!

                  _www.maureenwittmann.com_ (http://www.maureenwittmann.com/)
                  _www.maureenwittmann.blogspot.com_ (http://www.maureenwittmann.blogspot.com/)

                  http://www.aol.com

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 31, 2007
                    I love getting emails like these . . .

                    > What library can resist the Pope himself?

                    Not mine! This is already on order.

                    Also in my periodic check of titles I have requested, I noticed today
                    my library now has Good Discipline, Great Teens by Ray Guarendi and
                    Everything is Grace by Joseph F. Schmidt.

                    I have a submitted a reserve request for all three of these titles. I
                    hope I don't get them all the same week!

                    . . . Thank you for sharing!

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 16, 2007
                      Dear Library Evangelists,

                      List member Sharon writes:

                      "Checking my purchase requests tonight, I found out my library system bought
                      five copies of the Pope John Paul II movie with John Voight. Four are
                      currently checked out."

                      Wow, five copies!!! And not only that, four are checked out. Now, that's a
                      success story.

                      Keep up the great work everyone. Keep requesting those books and movies and
                      magazines. You can have a great impact on your library -- don't give up!!!

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
                        List member Sharon writes:
                        ***********************************
                        My library system now has two copies of "The Apostles" by Pope
                        Benedict XVI.

                        Sharon
                        ***************************************
                        Thank you Sharon for letting us know. It sure makes it worthwhile when we
                        know that our requests are being heard and good Catholic books are getting into
                        our public libraries.

                        Keep up the good work!

                        _www.maureenwittmann.com_ (http://www.maureenwittmann.com/)
                        _www.maureenwittmann.blogspot.com_ (http://www.maureenwittmann.blogspot.com/)

                        Home.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
                          Dear Maureen and Ana,

                          Thank you for this marvelous way to evangelize through the
                          library...AND to get all the books I want to read for FREE!

                          Last week I received our library's brand new copy of Adrienne von
                          Speir's Book of All Saints (truly a gift to celebrate All Saints'
                          Day!) and I am mesmerized...and so grateful to you for your online
                          apostolate here.

                          In addition, since May our local library has filled close to 50 of my
                          requests for purchases of solid Catholic literature... because I saw
                          what you were doing here.

                          I find it very simple to open a browser window for my library online,
                          and then open another window for this site, or Ignatius, or Sophia,
                          Tan, whatever...and then simply copy and paste the necessary
                          information. With that computer magic of automatic "fill-in the
                          spaces" for my contact info, I find that I can request most any book
                          in 30 to 60 seconds! Best use of computer time I've ever had!

                          God bless you for this wonderful list, and for an apostolate that is
                          having more effect than you might know!

                          Gratefully yours,
                          Teresa in Wenatchee, WA
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 5, 2009
                            I received this email today . . .

                            My library system purchased 2 copies of Our lady of Kibeho. Including myself,
                            there are seven people on the list to check it out.

                            Sharon

                            .. . . Keep up the great work Sharon.

                            Yes, it really does work to make purchasing requests to your library!

                            www.maureenwittmann.blogspot.com
                            www.homeschoolconnectionsonline.com

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                              My library has two copies of "Short World History of Christianity" by Robert Mullin on order. Including me, there are three people on the waiting list to read it. S. H.

                              Thanks for sending your success stories!

                              Ana