Adult -- Inside Islam

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2004
      Title: Inside Islam: A Guide for Catholics: 100 Questions and Answers
      Author: Daniel Ali and Robert Spencer
      Publisher: Ascension Press
      Date Published: 2003
      ISBN: 0-9659228-5-5
      Comments: American Christians want to better understand Islam especially
      after 9-11

      From amazon.com:
      Editorial Reviews

      About the Author
      Robert Spencer is the author of two previous books on Islam, "Islam Unveiled:
      Disturbing Questions About the World's Fastest Growing Faith" (Encounter
      Books, 2002), and an in-depth study of jihad, "Onward Muslim Soldiers: How Jihad
      Still Threatens America and the West (Regnery Publishing, 2003).
      Daniel Ali converted to Catholicism from Islam in 1998. He has gained
      national recognition as the founder of the Christian-Islamic Forum. He is also the
      co-host of the video series "Islam and Christianity" with Fr. Mitch Pacwa, S.J.
      on the Eternal World Television Network.

      Book Description
      Islam. For some, the word is frightening; for others, mysterious. For all, it
      is a religious force that cannot be ignored. Now here’s a question-and-answer
      book on Islam written specifically for Catholics. Inside Islam addresses Islam
      ’s controversial teachings on God, jihad, the role of women, and more.

      Customer Reviews

      Easy, concise, direct, and brilliantly informative!, April 23, 2004
      Reviewer: A reader from New York, NY
      If you want to understand the essence of why so much of the Islamic world is
      at war with Western Secularism, then you need to understand (A) the Koran, and
      (B) some history of Mohammed. This book, one of the best I have ever read, is
      it. It's short, to the point, objective, and unbelievably informative.
      It's from two authors -- one an expert on the Middle East, and the other a
      former Muslim who converted to Catholicism. Now, don't let that fact, about the
      conversion, dissuade you from reading this. Obviously he left Islam because of
      the conflicts he had with it, but this book is NOT an Islam-bashing book;
      it's a very serious Islam-critiquing book. There is no hyperbole, no revenge;
      just facts.
      Also, the title is misleading -- you DON'T have to be a Catholic to
      understand and appreciate this book; you simply have to have *some* ancient history
      under your belt. In fact, if I had written the book, I would have titled it,
      "Inside Islam: A Guide for Anyone with a Basic Understanding of Human History."
      Outstanding book, and easy read. I read it in a single afternoon.

      Excellent Primer on Islam and the Church, March 10, 2004
      Reviewer: richleonardi (see more about me) from Cincinnati, Ohio United
      Spencer and Ali have assembled an informative, well-written and easily
      accessible guide to understanding how Islam compares to Catholicism.
      Organized in a question-and-answer format, the text is broken into digestible
      sections that allow readers to read or re-read areas of particular interest.
      It is the only guide of its kind to be released in decades and deserves a
      wide readership.

      Great!, October 24, 2003
      Reviewer: Leyla from New York
      I am struggling with islam since I came to the US and after I read this book,
      I can see how it has held my people back. The religion can be too oppressive
      for modern day civilized peoples who believe in human rights, like me.
      Not many people who leave islam ever let anyone know about it. I believe this
      book will help many others like me to compare islam, and come out of the
      closet. I recommend it to every moslem who is questioning his faith. May you get
      what I have out of it.