A Couple of Success Stories

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2005
      Dear List Members,

      I have a couple of emails to share with you.

      First from Nancy:
      I was at my library yesterday, and the librarian stopped me,
      told me she got my e-mail (first time I ever e-mailed her, found the
      address thanks to your suggestion to look for "Contact info") and told
      me that although the budget for books would not allow further spending
      on JPII books, she would put up a display of JPII items on a shelf.
      Which I was still glad about.

      And from Irene:
      Hi Maureen,
      I have been receiving your Pope St. Nicholas V emails since you started the
      list. I love the idea, but have been a bit discouraged by the responses I have
      received from my library system. I had a few negative replies to my requests
      and had gotten the idea that they were just not going to spend county money
      on religious books.

      I ended up using your ideas to request non-religious books with mixed
      success. I did get them to buy all the Chronicles of Narnia audio books, but they
      said no to Carol Ryrie Brink's Baby Island. That last rejection really
      frustrated me, because the book was so highly recommended by the juvenile section
      librarian at my own library. Unfortunately the county makes purchasing decisions
      by a committee 3 or so and my own librarian has no say in the matter.

      Anyway, when you recently sent out the suggestion for the Christopher West
      audio book, I decided to sort of test my library "suggest a title" system. I
      sent the suggestion hoping that all the media coverage of the death of Pope John
      Paul would make them seriously consider ordering a book about his theology of
      the body. I then went one further and also requested Pope John Paul's Memory
      and Identity: Conversations at the Dawn of a Millennium, pointing out that I
      believe that there will be a renewed interest in the writings of Pope John
      Paul in the months to come due to his recent death. Well, I am thrilled to
      report that my county will be purchasing both suggestions!

      Thanks so much for your book suggestions and for introducing me to the idea
      of suggesting titles for our library system.