158Reminder: Using this List

    Nov 9, 2006
      Dear Library Evangelists,

      Perhaps its been awhile since you joined, so I'd like to remind everyone how
      they can use this list to help get better books into the library, especially
      books for Catholics or those wanting to learn about the Catholic Church.

      How does the Pope St. Nicholas V list work?

      I am the only one to post messages in order to keep email to a minimum.
      Usually once each week I'll feature a book/audio/video that would be beneficial to
      Catholics in general. I will also provide the information necessary for you to
      then fill out a patron request form at your public library. (You can search
      for your library's website at http://lists.webjunction.org/libweb/)

      If you would like to see your public library carry the title, first go to
      your library's website and make sure that it is not in their catalog. If it is
      not in the library catalog then find out how to make purchasing suggestions
      online and make a suggestion! If this service is not offered online, ask for
      patron request forms the next time you visit the library, fill one out, and keep a
      few at home so that you can easily transfer information from my email to the
      card.

      Some tips:
      --The form you need to fill out may be called a variety of things: patron
      request, item request, purchase suggestion, or something similar.
      --Sometimes it's easier to ask a main library instead of a suburban or branch
      library.
      --You'll have a better chance of a purchase at a big library than a small one
      which needs to get rid of books to save room.
      --Titles published in the past year are more likely to be purchased.
      Librarians want their purchases to have a long shelf life and so are weary of older
      books.
      --If you do suggest an older title, make sure to comment that it is a
      "classic" and will be checked out for years to come.
      --Don't give up if you feel that your suggestions are ignored. Your voice
      will eventually be heard!
      --Tell all of your like-minded friends to make purchasing suggestions too.
      There is power in numbers.

      If you have success stories, I'd love to hear from you!

      www.maureenwittmann.com
      www.maureenwittmann.blogspot.com