      Title: The Squire and the Scroll: A Tale of the Rewards of a Pure Heart
      Author: Jennie Bishop, illustrated by Preston McDaniels
      Publisher: Warner Press Inc.
      Date Published: September 2004
      ISBN: 1593170793
      Price: 12.00 (10.39 amazon.com)
      Comments: Preschool. Beautifully illustrated. By the author and illustrator
      of The Princess and the Kiss.

      from amazon.com:
      Customer Reviews

      An exciting book with an important lesson., April 10, 2005
      Reviewer:Wendy Jones (Pennsylvania)

      I bought this book for my son's 5th birthday. He asks me to read it to him
      nearly every night. The story of knights and dragons engages him, as it is so
      exciting. And the beautiful illustrations keep his attention focused on the book
      as I read to him. He often wants to look at the book on his own before going
      to sleep.

      I'm so impressed with Ms. Bishop's writing. The story grabs my son's
      attention at the very first page, and keeps the story moving. Even though I was afraid
      the book was a little lengthy for him to listen to, he was hooked. Also, the
      book shows how important it is to guard one's heart especially by what you
      hear and see. This principle is woven into the story so well, and not

      Wonderful book for "future men", December 28, 2004
      Reviewer:ctando "ctando"
      This is a tale of the importance of guarding your heart from evil. I bought
      this as a Christmas present for my two sons, ages (both nearly) 4 and 6. While
      it was a bit over the head of my 4yo it certainly captured my nearly 6yo's

      The kingdom in the book relies on the Lantern of Purest Light for peace and
      joy in the land. An evil dragon steals it and many seek to recover it, only to
      be lost themselves. The king sends his last and most trusted knight (along w/
      his squire) to retrieve the lamp lest the kingdom perish. The squire was
      raised according to a scroll by parents who honored the Lantern while the knight is
      aware of it but doesn't allow it to dictate his actions. Who (I wonder...)
      will survive the perilous journey to the dragon's lair and bring the lantern

      This is a Christian allegory that illustrates 5 main concepts in Christian
      living (i.e. keeping your gaze focused and not turning to the left or right) and
      it ends (in very tiny print) with a quote from Psalm 119:9. While it is aimed
      at young boys, it also serves as a reminder to parents to raise their young
      squires rightly, too. Highly recommended book. I also appreciated the sturdy
      hardcover binding.

      Pure!, December 18, 2004
      A Kid's Review
      This is a wonderful story of how to guard your senses from impurity. A young
      squire goes out to rescue the lamp of purity which has been stolen by a
      dragon. A wonderful book to add to your collection!