Re: [PomWorldwide] My Parfianka is two+ years old and not flowering yet

  • jayant kumar
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17, 2012
      Dear Anitha
      It usually takes two years to come into flowering after planting pomegranate in the field
      Jayant

      Message 2 of 12 , May 17, 2012
        Hi,

        I am located in Santa clara county, California (zone: 9B and xipcode: 95032).

        thanks,
        Anitha

        --- In PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com, "Ling" <lingcen1@...> wrote:

        > Where are you located?
        >
        > --- In PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com, "anithasudher" <anithasudher@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Pom lovers,
        > >
        > > I planted a parfianka in Fall 2010 and the nursery said the plant is atleast 2 years old and the plant has lush green and it is now 4+ ft tall. But there are no flowers or buds. All the pom plants I see around already have flowers. We dug a 3x3ft hole to plant this and the soil is well draining and we deep water it once a week if there is no rain for 40 minutes with a drip line. We add a handful of sustane (4-6-4) & handful of bonemeal and a heap of compost once in Feb, April, May, July and october. Compost is added one week after sustane & bonemeal.
        > > Any advice on why there are no flowers this year also? I am doing womething wrong and can't figure it quite yet.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > > Anitha

      • anithasudher
        Message 3 of 12 , May 17, 2012
          Thanks Mike and Jayant. I'll patiently wait then.

          Regards,
          Anitha

          --- In PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com, jayant kumar <jayantkumar_in@...> wrote:

          > Dear Anitha It usually takes two years to come into flowering after planting pomegranate in the fieldJayant

        • Michael Nave
          Message 4 of 12 , May 17, 2012
            No wonder. You haven't had much summer heat the last few years. They don't like to flower if they're not getting enough heat.

          • ariel023@inter.net.il
            Message 5 of 12 , May 17, 2012
              Michael Nave is 100% correct

               Ech year  we get huge PG flowering waves
              This year is exceptional with carpets of flowers and the bisexual flowers and fruitlets - thus lots of fruit thinning is needed

              No one mentioned here the need to remove extra flowers and hand pollinate

              Some how I observed that a few trees in the full sun with humidity around due to a hole in the drip line that made tha canopy wet (but not washed) give extra flowering and fruit set
              I irrigate in day time in my presence

              : Michael Nave <jmichaelnave@...>
              תאריך: Friday, May 18, 2012 7:43
              נושא: Re: [PomWorldwide] Re: My Parfianka is two+  years old and not flowering yet
              אל: "PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com" <PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com>

              > No wonder. You haven't had much summer heat the last few years. They don't like to flower if they're not getting enough heat.

              I am located in Santa clara county, California (zone: 9B and xipcode: 95032).

              thanks,
              Anitha

              --- In PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com, "Ling" <lingcen1@...> wrote:

              > Where are you located?
              >
              > --- In PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com, "anithasudher" <anithasudher@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Pom lovers,
              > >
              > > I planted a parfianka in Fall 2010 and the nursery said the plant is atleast 2 years old and the plant has lush green and it is now 4+ ft tall. But there are no flowers or buds. All the pom plants I see around already have flowers. We dug a 3x3ft hole to plant this and the soil is well draining and we deep water it once a week if there is no rain for 40 minutes with a drip line. We add a handful of sustane (4-6-4) & handful of bonemeal and a heap of compost once in Feb, April, May, July and october. Compost is added one week after sustane & bonemeal.
              > > Any advice on why there are no flowers this year also? I am doing womething wrong and can't figure it quite yet.
              > >
              > > Regards
              > > Anitha

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  PomWorldwide-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  PomWorldwide-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              ‭‮
            • Rajiv Shorey
              Message 6 of 12 , May 18, 2012
                I planted my Parfiankas, this year, 3 months ago. They have been flowering and are just 2-3 feet tall.
                I am in Dallas and am surprised how vigorous the Parfianka is. Ofcourse , I do not expect it to fruit this year.

                Among the pomegranate trees/bushes that I have, I think Desertnyl, is among those that flower and fruit , when very young.

                regards
                Rajiv

              • anithasudher
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 21 6:56 PM
                  Pom Friends,

                  We planted our parfianka pom plant when it was just 1 ft tall and had only 2 - 3 branches in August 2010. The plant has grown very well now and it is about 4+ feet tall with lots of healthy branches. But no flowers. Which month does this variety usually produce flowers? How many years does it take to flower usually? Is there anything we can do to help get flowers?

                  Thanks,
                  Anitha
                • Harvey Correia
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 21 11:56 PM
                    Anitha, I've had wide variations with all of my pomegranate varieties as to blooming times.  I believe in 2011 I didn't have any blooms until late June or maybe early July, but that was a cool summer in NorCal (USDA hardiness zone 9b, Sunset zone 14).  Very few fruit ripened for me in 2011.  In 2012 we had a more normal summer and I think we had blooms in May and I was picking fruit by mid-October (some varieties not ripe until mid-November).  I have now had many plants flowering for the past week so this seems like an early year.  Parfianka seems pretty much like a mid-season variety for me (Desertnyi, Azadi, Sin Pepe can be earlier while Wonderful, Sirinevyi, Austin, Ariana are later).  Do you have other pomegranate varieties flowering already to compare to?  Where are you located again?

                    Harvey

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22 8:03 AM
                      Harvey,

                      Thank you for the reply and letting me know Parfianka does not flower early. I live in San Jose, CA (zone 9b). Parfianka is the only Pom plant I have  in my backyard. My neighbor has a wonderful pom plant and it has flowers already.  I will wait until mid June. This week is going to be really warm and they are predicting a hot summer this year. So, lets see if buds will pop up in the coming weeks.

                      Regards
                      Anitha