Re: [PomWorldwide] Pom income in India

  • Dr. Aamir A. Farooqui
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 23 10:10 PM
      Hi Rajiv and Jayant,

      Thanks for the confirmation.

      In California some farmers get around $0.44 per Kg for fresh produce and
      $150-220/- per ton for juice. I think Angel Red is sold for premium.

      Aamir

      Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 7:49 AM
      Subject: Re: [PomWorldwide] Pom income in India

      Amir

      I cant comment about the specifics but the calculation of a wholesale price of 35Rs per kg is consistent with what I found when I was doing my research on varieties I could grow in my farm.
      The retail price to the consumer works out to 100Rs per kg in built up areas so I would not be at all suprised by these statistics. Remember India is booming at present with a burgeoning middle class and there has always been pent up demand for exotics like pomegranate. I know the UK and middle east are big importers of Pom from india.

      Rajiv

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 24 6:29 AM
        Dear Aamir Please tell me which variety is this Angle Red
        Jayant

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 24 8:20 AM
          Hello Jayant,

          Here is a web site dedicated to Angel Red: http://www.angelredpom.com/

          It was patented under the name of 'Smith' http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/PP16578/description.html

          Someone from associated in some manner with the company which owns or promotes Angel Red joined this group earlier this year and posted once.  Perhaps that person will join in on the discussion and make an introduction and explain how the variety has performed and been accepted into the marketplace.

          I have several Angel Red in my test plot.  I have not had any great or terrible impression with them but my area is normally somewhat cool for pomegranates and the past two summers have been cooler than normal.  I'm hoping for something more "normal" this year.

          Thanks,

          Harvey

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 24 10:50 AM

            Hello Jayant and Harvey,

            My name is Chad and I’m the general manager of Angel Red Pomegranate Inc.

            Greg Smith is the patent holder of ‘Smith’ Pomegranate and as ‘Smith’, respectfully, is a boring name for a commercial product, we came up with Angel Red® as the brand name.

            Smith pomegranate is probably a cross between Granada and Wonderful as Greg had both varieties on his orchard at one time.

            It typically ripens around Labor Day here in the U.S. (approximately September 6th), is bright red, has a relatively soft endocarp and good juice volume.

            In 2010, the Davis Rare Fruit Growers, had a taste testing and according to the results that I saw, Smith was very similar to Wonderful in brix, acid and taste.

            It is a very prolific plant and we recommend to our growers that they thin in July and allow 4 inches between each fruit.

            We have had growers with 4th leaf trees harvest 25 pounds of fruit for the fresh market and 25 pounds of fruit for the juice market and that was from trees that were thinned.

            We’ve had other growers that didn’t thin and lost a lot of trees as they fell over from the weight.

            Following are the size distributions from last year, this year, as well as the thinned orchards for comparison.

            Size

            2010 Average

            2011 No thinning

            2011 Thinned

            16-20's

            3.88%

            1.03%

            11.01%

            22's

            2.08%

            7.95%

            19.70%

            24's

            13.02%

            9.22%

            16.75%

            26's

            10.01%

            9.93%

            11.59%

            30's

            22.88%

            20.49%

            18.45%

            32's

            7.71%

            14.46%

            8.61%

            34-36's

            33.08%

            27.81%

            11.46%

            42's

            7.34%

            9.12%

            2.43%

            100.00%

            100.00%

            100.00%

            The fruit has been very well received in the market and last year the average wholesale price was almost $1.00 per fruit.

            If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

            Chad Fjeld

            General Manager

            559-827-3461

            559-732-3778 fax

            chad@...

            www.angelredpom.com

            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 24 11:26 AM

              Hi Chad,

              Just curious how much is the profit to the farmers, after deducting the picking, packaging, etc.

              Thanks,
              Aamir

              To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com
              From: angelredpom@...
              Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:50:32 -0700

              Hello Jayant and Harvey,

              My name is Chad and I’m the general manager of Angel Red Pomegranate Inc.

              Greg Smith is the patent holder of ‘Smith’ Pomegranate and as ‘Smith’, respectfully, is a boring name for a commercial product, we came up with Angel RedRegistered trademark symbol as the brand name.

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 24 11:36 AM

                Hi Aamir,

                I hope things are going well!

                The grower who thinned his 4 year old trees, netted between $1,500 – 1,700.00 per acre.

                He has 225 tree per acre and his net return included his juice money and his cultural costs, picking, packing and sales commission were factored in as well.

                Chad Fjeld

                General Manager

                559-827-3461

                559-732-3778 fax

                chad@...

                www.angelredpom.com

                To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com
                From: angelredpom@...
                Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:50:32 -0700

                Hello Jayant and Harvey,

                My name is Chad and I’m the general manager of Angel Red Pomegranate Inc.

                Greg Smith is the patent holder of ‘Smith’ Pomegranate and as ‘Smith’, respectfully, is a boring name for a commercial product, we came up with Angel RedDescription: Image removed by sender. Registered trademark symbol as the brand name.

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 24 12:19 PM
                  Welcome Chad, and thanks for posting to share your experiences.

                  Can you tell us approximately how many acres of Angel Red are under cultivation in California?  I like to see another entry into the markets and wish you success and appreciate the information you are able to bring to this discussion group.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 24 12:27 PM

                    Hi Chad,

                    Thanks for the prompt reply, I hope you are also doing good.

                    The net income of the farmer confirms a premium return of $300 on Angel Red vs $220/ton
                    as compared to the other varieties.

                    Thanks,
                    Aamir

                    To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com

                    To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 24 6:43 PM

                      Thank you Harvey,

                      I’ve been ‘trolling’ (I think that’s the term) this group since I joined and am always impressed with the exchange of information from everyone!

                      Our farmers have approximately 1,200 acres planted and last season was our second harvest. Obviously we are just entering the market and appreciate your kind wishes.

                      Monrovia Nursery is the exclusive propagator for both our farmers and for retail nursery sales.

                      Not only are we proud to be associated with such a premier nursery but we like that they incorporate Mycorrhizae fungi into their soil so that their plants make better use of water and fertilizers.

                      It’s much more economical to re-incorporate Mycorrhizae into the soil at their level than on the farm.

                      Again, thank you for such a warm welcome!

                      Chad Fjeld

                      General Manager

                      559-827-3461

                      559-732-3778 fax

                      chad@...

                      www.angelredpom.com

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 30 4:17 AM
                        Dear Chad
                        I would like to know the taste of the variety, Sweet or sour percentage of acidity, sugar percentage and Total soluble solids
                        Jayant