Pom income in India

  • Dr. Aamir A. Farooqui
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 21 7:35 AM
      Hi,

      Can anyone confirm if the following is true:

      Kustagi and Yelburga taluks of Koppal district – remote and most backward areas of the State.

      About 250 tons of pomegranate were exported from this small area and volume of trade was
      in the tune of Rs.8.50 crores.
      The produce fetched a price of Rs.35,000/- (750 $) per ton.
      On an average, they have exported 7.5 – 10 tons of fruits per hectare remaining
      10 – 12. 5 tons were sold locally.
      Farmers have earned about Rs.4.5 lakhs to 5.75 lakhs per
      hectare (9600 – 12300 $. Incurred an expenditure of Rs.75,000/- per hectare (1600 $).
      Net Profit - Rs.3.75 lakhs to Rs.5.00 lakhs per hectare (8000 – 10700 $);
      in some cases, it has crossed Rs.6.25 lakhs per hectare (13400 $).
      Farmers convinced about- profitability of pomegranate cultivation
      as there is considerable demand for the pomegranate grown in the region.

      If the above is true, shame on the US Pom. market, where the farmers can
      hardly get $220-250/- per ton.

      Thanks,
      Aamir
    • Rajiv Kakar
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 21 7:49 AM
        Amir

        I cant comment about the specifics but the calculation of a wholesale price of 35Rs per kg is consistent with what I found when I was doing my research on varieties I could grow in my farm.
        The retail price to the consumer works out to 100Rs per kg in built up areas so I would not be at all suprised by these statistics. Remember India is booming at present with a burgeoning middle class and there has always been pent up demand for exotics like pomegranate. I know the UK and middle east are big importers of Pom from india.

        Rajiv

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 23 6:16 AM
          The information is very correct. Sometimes the farmers may make more money and some times they may loose also. Markets in India are not constat. The trend can change anytime .
          Jayant

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 23 10:10 PM
            Hi Rajiv and Jayant,

            Thanks for the confirmation.

            In California some farmers get around $0.44 per Kg for fresh produce and
            $150-220/- per ton for juice. I think Angel Red is sold for premium.

            Aamir

            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 24 6:29 AM
              Dear Aamir Please tell me which variety is this Angle Red
              Jayant

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 24 8:20 AM
                Hello Jayant,

                Here is a web site dedicated to Angel Red: http://www.angelredpom.com/

                It was patented under the name of 'Smith' http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/PP16578/description.html

                Someone from associated in some manner with the company which owns or promotes Angel Red joined this group earlier this year and posted once.  Perhaps that person will join in on the discussion and make an introduction and explain how the variety has performed and been accepted into the marketplace.

                I have several Angel Red in my test plot.  I have not had any great or terrible impression with them but my area is normally somewhat cool for pomegranates and the past two summers have been cooler than normal.  I'm hoping for something more "normal" this year.

                Thanks,

                Harvey

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 24 10:50 AM

                  Hello Jayant and Harvey,

                  My name is Chad and I’m the general manager of Angel Red Pomegranate Inc.

                  Greg Smith is the patent holder of ‘Smith’ Pomegranate and as ‘Smith’, respectfully, is a boring name for a commercial product, we came up with Angel Red® as the brand name.

                  Smith pomegranate is probably a cross between Granada and Wonderful as Greg had both varieties on his orchard at one time.

                  It typically ripens around Labor Day here in the U.S. (approximately September 6th), is bright red, has a relatively soft endocarp and good juice volume.

                  In 2010, the Davis Rare Fruit Growers, had a taste testing and according to the results that I saw, Smith was very similar to Wonderful in brix, acid and taste.

                  It is a very prolific plant and we recommend to our growers that they thin in July and allow 4 inches between each fruit.

                  We have had growers with 4th leaf trees harvest 25 pounds of fruit for the fresh market and 25 pounds of fruit for the juice market and that was from trees that were thinned.

                  We’ve had other growers that didn’t thin and lost a lot of trees as they fell over from the weight.

                  Following are the size distributions from last year, this year, as well as the thinned orchards for comparison.

                  Size

                  2010 Average

                  2011 No thinning

                  2011 Thinned

                  16-20's

                  3.88%

                  1.03%

                  11.01%

                  22's

                  2.08%

                  7.95%

                  19.70%

                  24's

                  13.02%

                  9.22%

                  16.75%

                  26's

                  10.01%

                  9.93%

                  11.59%

                  30's

                  22.88%

                  20.49%

                  18.45%

                  32's

                  7.71%

                  14.46%

                  8.61%

                  34-36's

                  33.08%

                  27.81%

                  11.46%

                  42's

                  7.34%

                  9.12%

                  2.43%

                  100.00%

                  100.00%

                  100.00%

                  The fruit has been very well received in the market and last year the average wholesale price was almost $1.00 per fruit.

                  If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

                  Chad Fjeld

                  General Manager

                  559-827-3461

                  559-732-3778 fax

                  chad@...

                  www.angelredpom.com

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 24 11:26 AM

                    Hi Chad,

                    Just curious how much is the profit to the farmers, after deducting the picking, packaging, etc.

                    Thanks,
                    Aamir

                    To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com
                    From: angelredpom@...
                    Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:50:32 -0700

                    Hello Jayant and Harvey,

                    My name is Chad and I’m the general manager of Angel Red Pomegranate Inc.

                    Greg Smith is the patent holder of ‘Smith’ Pomegranate and as ‘Smith’, respectfully, is a boring name for a commercial product, we came up with Angel RedRegistered trademark symbol as the brand name.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 24 11:36 AM

                      Hi Aamir,

                      I hope things are going well!

                      The grower who thinned his 4 year old trees, netted between $1,500 – 1,700.00 per acre.

                      He has 225 tree per acre and his net return included his juice money and his cultural costs, picking, packing and sales commission were factored in as well.

                      Chad Fjeld

                      General Manager

                      559-827-3461

                      559-732-3778 fax

                      chad@...

                      www.angelredpom.com

                      To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com
                      From: angelredpom@...
                      Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:50:32 -0700

                      Hello Jayant and Harvey,

                      My name is Chad and I’m the general manager of Angel Red Pomegranate Inc.

                      Greg Smith is the patent holder of ‘Smith’ Pomegranate and as ‘Smith’, respectfully, is a boring name for a commercial product, we came up with Angel RedDescription: Image removed by sender. Registered trademark symbol as the brand name.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 24 12:19 PM
                        Welcome Chad, and thanks for posting to share your experiences.

                        Can you tell us approximately how many acres of Angel Red are under cultivation in California?  I like to see another entry into the markets and wish you success and appreciate the information you are able to bring to this discussion group.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 24 12:27 PM

                          Hi Chad,

                          Thanks for the prompt reply, I hope you are also doing good.

                          The net income of the farmer confirms a premium return of $300 on Angel Red vs $220/ton
                          as compared to the other varieties.

                          Thanks,
                          Aamir

                          To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com

                          To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 24 6:43 PM

                            Thank you Harvey,

                            I’ve been ‘trolling’ (I think that’s the term) this group since I joined and am always impressed with the exchange of information from everyone!

                            Our farmers have approximately 1,200 acres planted and last season was our second harvest. Obviously we are just entering the market and appreciate your kind wishes.

                            Monrovia Nursery is the exclusive propagator for both our farmers and for retail nursery sales.

                            Not only are we proud to be associated with such a premier nursery but we like that they incorporate Mycorrhizae fungi into their soil so that their plants make better use of water and fertilizers.

                            It’s much more economical to re-incorporate Mycorrhizae into the soil at their level than on the farm.

                            Again, thank you for such a warm welcome!

                            Chad Fjeld

                            General Manager

                            559-827-3461

                            559-732-3778 fax

                            chad@...

                            www.angelredpom.com

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 30 4:17 AM
                              Dear Chad
                              I would like to know the taste of the variety, Sweet or sour percentage of acidity, sugar percentage and Total soluble solids
                              Jayant