Re: Pomegranates in clay soil

  • Arian H
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 10 9:14 PM
      Cool thanks guys for your input.
      I will amend the soil a bit then, and rough up the sides of the hole (i usually do that :) ).

      -Arian

    • ariel023@inter.net.il
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 11 3:28 AM
        This question has multi answers and factors to consider
        Thus limiting it but to the  physical-electrical clayish definition without considering pH, salinity, climatical factors, environmental factors does not give the full answer which must be specific to each location

        Even the clayish texture changes with the plantation time

        In my farm all lands are heavily clayish and the summers are very hot and dry - excellent for the PGs

        This saves irrigation

        PGs, wilt fast in hot dry summers on sandy soils if not grown under shade cloth or PE

        Thus, lots of differences may occur using clayish soils for PGs in various areas

        Ariel

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 11 11:17 PM
          In India in Himachal Pradesh located in mid-Himalayas the pomegranates are grown in wide variety of soils right from clay to sandy loam and sandy. As we have limited lands  and we are forced to grow in any kind of soil. We usually amend the soils with organic matter. But the clay soils are good for cultivation.Jayant

          I will amend the soil a bit then, and rough up the sides of the hole (i usually do that :) ).

          -Arian

          --- In PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com, Harvey Correia <harveycorreia@...> wrote:

          > Loam soils are best for most things and soil containing roughly one third each of clay, silt, and sand are classified as loam.  It's been many years since I took several soil science classes but clay is defined as soil particles below a specific size with silt being the next size and sand being the largest.  Clay has the greatest surface area for a specific volume of soil so it can hold onto more nutrients and water.  However, because of the small size of the particles it settles densely and infiltration and drainage is slow.  It can also be more difficult for roots to penetrate the soil, though pomegranates have been demonstrated to handle it better than many other plants.  The biggest problem with clay soils is typically poor drainage but this can often be mitigated by planting on mounds and being careful with irrigation so as to not completely saturate the soil.  In cases where sodium is present, the addition of gypsum can help improve soil
          > structure (and thus drainage).  As I remember it, a sodium particle has a single charge and can bind to one clay particle while a calcium particle (from gypsum) has a double charge and can bind to two clay particles.  If sodium is not present, gypsum probably has little effect other than as a nutrient.
          >
          > Amending clay soils will almost always be beneficial, especially if adding compost.  A more friable soil is easier for roots to expand into.  To avoid creating a bowl I make sure to rough up the sides of the whole I dig and make the hole considerably larger than the root ball of the plant I am planting.
          >
          > Harvey

        • judgeguns
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 12 10:31 AM
            Hi Ariel,

            What is PE ?

            thanks!
            --- In PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com, ariel023@... wrote:

            > This question has multi answers and factors to consider
            > Thus limiting it but to the physical-electrical clayish definition without considering pH, salinity, climatical factors, environmental factors does not give the full answer which must be specific to each location
            >
            > Even the clayish texture changes with the plantation time
            >
            > In my farm all lands are heavily clayish and the summers are very hot and dry - excellent for the PGs
            >
            > This saves irrigation
            >
            > PGs, wilt fast in hot dry summers on sandy soils if not grown under shade cloth or PE
            >
            > Thus, lots of differences may occur using clayish soils for PGs in various areas
            >
            > Ariel
            >

            > ----- ×"ו×"×¢×" מקורית -----
            > מאת: Arian H <arianhojat2000@...>
            > תאריך: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 22:59
            > נושא: [PomWorldwide] Re: Pomegranates in clay soil
            > אל: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com
            >

            > > Hey Amir...
            > > Well I think I read clay has lots of nutrients already in it and since its not 'well draining', then it holds onto its nutrients better.
            >
            > If you have very well draining soil, then you have a problem in that nutrients slip very fast to the 'bottom'.
            >
            > > So I've gotten the impression that some clay is actually very good for plants, and some tree's don't mind it at all (if its not sitting in water like clay soil at the bottom of small slope).
            >
            > So are you sure pomegranates don't like clay soil?
            >
            > > I could put very 100% very loose nice/black soil there, but then the roots will hit the clay soil around that area eventually and not want to venture into it.
            >
            > -Arian
            >
            > > --- In PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Aamir A. Farooqui" <aamirf@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi,
            > > Clay is not good for most of the plants, better not use it. But, if you want use clay, then add Gypsum.
            > > Thanks,Aamir
            > >

            > > > To: > PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com

            > ‭‮‭‮

          • Harvey Correia
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 12 12:05 PM
              Polyethylene (i.e., greenhouse film)

            • ariel023@inter.net.il
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 13 4:35 AM
                Since last week the PGs started flowering

                The canopies are enormous and deep green probably due to the rains and preferable conditions at this time

                Ariel

                ‭‮
              • Dr. Aamir A. Farooqui
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 21 7:35 AM
                  Hi,

                  Can anyone confirm if the following is true:

                  Kustagi and Yelburga taluks of Koppal district – remote and most backward areas of the State.

                  About 250 tons of pomegranate were exported from this small area and volume of trade was
                  in the tune of Rs.8.50 crores.
                  The produce fetched a price of Rs.35,000/- (750 $) per ton.
                  On an average, they have exported 7.5 – 10 tons of fruits per hectare remaining
                  10 – 12. 5 tons were sold locally.
                  Farmers have earned about Rs.4.5 lakhs to 5.75 lakhs per
                  hectare (9600 – 12300 $. Incurred an expenditure of Rs.75,000/- per hectare (1600 $).
                  Net Profit - Rs.3.75 lakhs to Rs.5.00 lakhs per hectare (8000 – 10700 $);
                  in some cases, it has crossed Rs.6.25 lakhs per hectare (13400 $).
                  Farmers convinced about- profitability of pomegranate cultivation
                  as there is considerable demand for the pomegranate grown in the region.

                  If the above is true, shame on the US Pom. market, where the farmers can
                  hardly get $220-250/- per ton.

                  Thanks,
                  Aamir
                • Rajiv Kakar
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 21 7:49 AM
                    Amir

                    I cant comment about the specifics but the calculation of a wholesale price of 35Rs per kg is consistent with what I found when I was doing my research on varieties I could grow in my farm.
                    The retail price to the consumer works out to 100Rs per kg in built up areas so I would not be at all suprised by these statistics. Remember India is booming at present with a burgeoning middle class and there has always been pent up demand for exotics like pomegranate. I know the UK and middle east are big importers of Pom from india.

                    Rajiv

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 23 6:16 AM
                      The information is very correct. Sometimes the farmers may make more money and some times they may loose also. Markets in India are not constat. The trend can change anytime .
                      Jayant

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 23 10:10 PM
                        Hi Rajiv and Jayant,

                        Thanks for the confirmation.

                        In California some farmers get around $0.44 per Kg for fresh produce and
                        $150-220/- per ton for juice. I think Angel Red is sold for premium.

                        Aamir

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 24 6:29 AM
                          Dear Aamir Please tell me which variety is this Angle Red
                          Jayant

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 24 8:20 AM
                            Hello Jayant,

                            Here is a web site dedicated to Angel Red: http://www.angelredpom.com/

                            It was patented under the name of 'Smith' http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/PP16578/description.html

                            Someone from associated in some manner with the company which owns or promotes Angel Red joined this group earlier this year and posted once.  Perhaps that person will join in on the discussion and make an introduction and explain how the variety has performed and been accepted into the marketplace.

                            I have several Angel Red in my test plot.  I have not had any great or terrible impression with them but my area is normally somewhat cool for pomegranates and the past two summers have been cooler than normal.  I'm hoping for something more "normal" this year.

                            Thanks,

                            Harvey

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 24 10:50 AM

                              Hello Jayant and Harvey,

                              My name is Chad and I’m the general manager of Angel Red Pomegranate Inc.

                              Greg Smith is the patent holder of ‘Smith’ Pomegranate and as ‘Smith’, respectfully, is a boring name for a commercial product, we came up with Angel Red® as the brand name.

                              Smith pomegranate is probably a cross between Granada and Wonderful as Greg had both varieties on his orchard at one time.

                              It typically ripens around Labor Day here in the U.S. (approximately September 6th), is bright red, has a relatively soft endocarp and good juice volume.

                              In 2010, the Davis Rare Fruit Growers, had a taste testing and according to the results that I saw, Smith was very similar to Wonderful in brix, acid and taste.

                              It is a very prolific plant and we recommend to our growers that they thin in July and allow 4 inches between each fruit.

                              We have had growers with 4th leaf trees harvest 25 pounds of fruit for the fresh market and 25 pounds of fruit for the juice market and that was from trees that were thinned.

                              We’ve had other growers that didn’t thin and lost a lot of trees as they fell over from the weight.

                              Following are the size distributions from last year, this year, as well as the thinned orchards for comparison.

                              Size

                              2010 Average

                              2011 No thinning

                              2011 Thinned

                              16-20's

                              3.88%

                              1.03%

                              11.01%

                              22's

                              2.08%

                              7.95%

                              19.70%

                              24's

                              13.02%

                              9.22%

                              16.75%

                              26's

                              10.01%

                              9.93%

                              11.59%

                              30's

                              22.88%

                              20.49%

                              18.45%

                              32's

                              7.71%

                              14.46%

                              8.61%

                              34-36's

                              33.08%

                              27.81%

                              11.46%

                              42's

                              7.34%

                              9.12%

                              2.43%

                              100.00%

                              100.00%

                              100.00%

                              The fruit has been very well received in the market and last year the average wholesale price was almost $1.00 per fruit.

                              If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

                              Chad Fjeld

                              General Manager

                              559-827-3461

                              559-732-3778 fax

                              chad@...

                              www.angelredpom.com

                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 24 11:26 AM

                                Hi Chad,

                                Just curious how much is the profit to the farmers, after deducting the picking, packaging, etc.

                                Thanks,
                                Aamir

                                To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com
                                From: angelredpom@...
                                Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:50:32 -0700

                                Hello Jayant and Harvey,

                                My name is Chad and I’m the general manager of Angel Red Pomegranate Inc.

                                Greg Smith is the patent holder of ‘Smith’ Pomegranate and as ‘Smith’, respectfully, is a boring name for a commercial product, we came up with Angel RedRegistered trademark symbol as the brand name.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 24 11:36 AM

                                  Hi Aamir,

                                  I hope things are going well!

                                  The grower who thinned his 4 year old trees, netted between $1,500 – 1,700.00 per acre.

                                  He has 225 tree per acre and his net return included his juice money and his cultural costs, picking, packing and sales commission were factored in as well.

                                  Chad Fjeld

                                  General Manager

                                  559-827-3461

                                  559-732-3778 fax

                                  chad@...

                                  www.angelredpom.com

                                  To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: angelredpom@...
                                  Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:50:32 -0700

                                  Hello Jayant and Harvey,

                                  My name is Chad and I’m the general manager of Angel Red Pomegranate Inc.

                                  Greg Smith is the patent holder of ‘Smith’ Pomegranate and as ‘Smith’, respectfully, is a boring name for a commercial product, we came up with Angel RedDescription: Image removed by sender. Registered trademark symbol as the brand name.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 24 12:19 PM
                                    Welcome Chad, and thanks for posting to share your experiences.

                                    Can you tell us approximately how many acres of Angel Red are under cultivation in California?  I like to see another entry into the markets and wish you success and appreciate the information you are able to bring to this discussion group.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 24 12:27 PM

                                      Hi Chad,

                                      Thanks for the prompt reply, I hope you are also doing good.

                                      The net income of the farmer confirms a premium return of $300 on Angel Red vs $220/ton
                                      as compared to the other varieties.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Aamir

                                      To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com

                                      To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 24 6:43 PM

                                        Thank you Harvey,

                                        I’ve been ‘trolling’ (I think that’s the term) this group since I joined and am always impressed with the exchange of information from everyone!

                                        Our farmers have approximately 1,200 acres planted and last season was our second harvest. Obviously we are just entering the market and appreciate your kind wishes.

                                        Monrovia Nursery is the exclusive propagator for both our farmers and for retail nursery sales.

                                        Not only are we proud to be associated with such a premier nursery but we like that they incorporate Mycorrhizae fungi into their soil so that their plants make better use of water and fertilizers.

                                        It’s much more economical to re-incorporate Mycorrhizae into the soil at their level than on the farm.

                                        Again, thank you for such a warm welcome!

                                        Chad Fjeld

                                        General Manager

                                        559-827-3461

                                        559-732-3778 fax

                                        chad@...

                                        www.angelredpom.com

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 30 4:17 AM
                                          Dear Chad
                                          I would like to know the taste of the variety, Sweet or sour percentage of acidity, sugar percentage and Total soluble solids
                                          Jayant