Re: [PomWorldwide] Re: Pomegranate Bloom Buds

  • Lee Sharp
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2012
      The bloom buds I noticed yesterday were on an unknown selection and today I noticed bloom buds on Kazake and Parfianka. At my location I have observed frost many years between 23-25 March. If we get frost and the temperature is cold enough to freeze the dew on the leaves, damage will likely occur. If the dew does not freeze no damage will likely occur. Last year I had 9 light frost in October thru November and my pom plants did not go dormant, retaining most all leaves until December 1, 2011, and we had a heavy frost and a temperature in the open orchard of 25 degrees and the dew on leaves froze. One pom plant was lost as a result of that freeze/frost. It was just one growing season in age and a trunk diameter of about 1/8 inch and 2 feet tall. the bark ruptured completely from the plant about 2 inches above the ground. Maybe it will sprout back from ground level.

      Lee

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2012

        We find that an application of Anti-Stress 550® will give you 4-8 degrees of extra protection. It’s an anti-transparent polymer that lasts 45-60 days and stretches about 2,000 times.

        A 2% solution is the recommended rate and protects what is sprayed but new growth will still be vulnerable. Our farmers use it here in California and can make the difference between having a crop and no crop.

        Fairly inexpensive as well.

        Chad Fjeld

        General Manager

        559-827-3461