Re: [PomWorldwide] Re: Costco Pomegranate

  • Michael Nave
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
      If Wonderful were picked before it was ripe, it would have softer seed and less flavor. But by now it would also have been stored for awhile and some older poms tend to develop darker colors in storage, so these could just be Wonderful that were picked too early and are now getting old.

      From: Ling <lingcen@...>
      Subject: [PomWorldwide] Re: Costco Pomegranate
      To: PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, December 31, 2009, 9:23 PM

      I don't think it is the wonderful. The kernel is deep dark red (almost black). By the way, I used the pomegranate shucking tool from ebay. It does not work too well. I found it was easier to knock the kernel directly into a large bowl using a metal spatula or a mallet. No special tool is needed.

      Regards -Ling

      --- In PomWorldwide@ yahoogroups. com, Michael Nave <jmichaelnave@ ...> wrote:

      > Almost all commercial pomegranates sold in the US are Wonderful. But this doesn't sound like Wonderful.

    • Ling
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
        Harvey, the seeds from the Costco pomegranates are only a bit harder than my Eversweet (which is sweet but very bland). If it is Wdonderful, I will probably start some seedlings soon.

        As for the shucking tool, it seemed not any more efficient than the "hand-holding" method. I will try it couple more times. Maybe I need to improve my proficiency using the tools.

        Regards -Ling

        --- In PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com, Harvey Correia <harveycorreia@...> wrote:

        > Ling, I have only seen Pom Wonderful brand fruit sold at Costco (should be labeled on the box) and Pom Wonderful grows only the 'Wonderful' variety.  No seedling plants, I am quite sure, as the parent farming company (Paramount) has its own tissue culture lab and seems quite particular about trying to maintain a product that is uniform.  Still, some fruits will vary in the level of maturity and also be altered after storage.  I've bought some Pom Womderful fruit which was either over-mature or already starting to break down.
        >
        > I'm curious about your comments about the ART gadget as I found it to work quite well on Pom Wonderful fruits I bought in the supermarket to try it out on.  While holding the fruit in my hand worked pretty well, it was faster and neater using the ART.  In fact, I was satisfied enough that I've imported the item and will start offering it for sale within a week if I can get my act together after returning home from vacation on Saturday.
        >
        > Happy New Year,
        >
        > Harvey

      • Michael Nave
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
          Thanks for confirming my opinion that Eversweet is sweet but bland.

          Eversweet does reasonably well in some pomegranate taste tests but I have no idea why.

          Harvey, the seeds from the Costco pomegranates are only a bit harder than my Eversweet (which is sweet but very bland). If it is Wdonderful, I will probably start some seedlings soon.

          As for the shucking tool, it seemed not any more efficient than the "hand-holding" method. I will try it couple more times. Maybe I need to improve my proficiency using the tools.

          Regards -Ling

          --- In PomWorldwide@yahoogroups.com, Harvey Correia <harveycorreia@...> wrote:

          > Ling, I have only seen Pom Wonderful brand fruit sold at Costco (should be labeled on the box) and Pom Wonderful grows only the 'Wonderful' variety.  No seedling plants, I am quite sure, as the parent farming company (Paramount) has its own tissue culture lab and seems quite particular about trying to maintain a product that is uniform.  Still, some fruits will vary in the level of maturity and also be altered after storage.  I've bought some Pom Womderful fruit which was either over-mature or already starting to break down.
          >
          > I'm curious about your comments about the ART gadget as I found it to work quite well on Pom Wonderful fruits I bought in the supermarket to try it out on.  While holding the fruit in my hand worked pretty well, it was faster and neater using the ART.  In fact, I was satisfied enough that I've imported the item and will start offering it for sale within a week if I can get my act together after returning home from vacation on Saturday.
          >
          > Happy New Year,
          >
          > Harvey

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional