Czech movie, Polish tenor & happy hour

  • Marcin Zmudzki
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2001
      POLISH GLOBAL VILLAGE ~ Washington & beyond

      * Polish tenor Dariusz Stachura @ Kennedy
      Center tonight, plus an interview with
      director Mariusz Trelinski @ NPR.org

      * The Polish Club Radical Film Series and
      the Independent Media Center present
      DAISIES by Vera Chytilova TONIGHT @ 7:30

      * The location of tonight's Polish happy
      hour REVEALED

      * Benevolence and music. STRYJNIAK/LISZT
      concert at Lisner this Saturday @ 7 p.m.

      * LECH WALESA in D.C., also this Saturday

      * CITIZENS, a film on Solidarity activists
      stranded in the U.S., @ Georgetown Univ.
      -- Tuesday, Nov. 20, 7 p.m.

      * Ted Knutson and his dog looking for a new
      apartment

      POLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHG

      POLISH TENOR AT THE KENNEDY CENTER tonight

      Polish tenor Dariusz Stachura performs the
      role of Pinkerton in tonight's Polish
      National Opera production of "Madama
      Butterfly" at the Kennedy Center.

      http://www.dc-opera.org/opera/madama.htm
      http://www.dc-opera.org/opera/madama_bios.htm

      The production was directed by Mariusz
      Trelinski. Emil Wesolowski designed
      choreography.

      NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO INTERVIEW WITH FILM
      AND OPERA DIRECTOR MARISZ TRELINSKI

      The National Public Radio, broadcasting from
      Washington to affiliate radio stations
      throughout the U.S., conducted an interview
      with director Mariusz Trelinski on Nov. 9.

      In the past, those of us who missed the
      radio program would have to hear about it
      from friends.

      But now, look how much of that fleeting
      experience AND MORE we can get at NPR.org.

      The link below will take you to NPR's page
      on Trelinski's production of "Madama
      Butterfly."

      http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2001/nov/butterfly/011109.but
      terfly.html

      You can

      * listen to Robert Siegel's on-the-air
      conversation with Mariusz Trelinski
      "about the latest incarnation of
      Puccini's classic."

      http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20011109.atc.18.ram

      * Hear a recording of an aria from the
      Washington Opera production and see
      pictures of the performers in their
      magnificent costumes.

      http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/atc.butterfly.rmm

      Thank you, Jane Matheny of Florida, for
      alerting us to the NPR interview.

      Thank you, Larry Adams of Michigan, for
      pointing us out to the audiovisual Web
      content on NPR's Web site.

      POLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHG

      THE POLISH CLUB radical FILM SERIES

      and the Independent Media Center present...

      DAISIES
      by Vera Chytilova
      7:30 p.m.
      Friday, Nov. 16
      @ the Independent Media Center
      2329 Champlain Street
      NW - Adams Morgan

      SUMMARY:

      Silly Boys, Anarchism is for Grrrls!

      Chytilova blissful critique of the pieties
      and austerities associated with the Czech
      Stalinist regime is an exercise in
      revolutionary modernism, anarcho-dadaist in
      spirit and form.

      Twenty-one deputies objected in parliament
      to the extravagant waste of food in the film,
      and Chytilova had to defend her film on
      communist-moral grounds: i.e. the two female
      protagonists were spoilt brats to be
      condemned as so much waste-matter in the body
      politic of the workers' state.

      Yeah right, we know that they are feminist
      anarchists, living off silly old men who buy
      them dinners while calling EVERYTHING into
      question with the unquenchable brio of
      indestructible cartoon characters (they eat
      with gusto even photographs of food from
      glossy magazines).

      We, the audience, are happily infected by
      the blessed spirit of nihilism Chytilova has
      conjured up in those dangerous and
      exhilarating days of the Prague Spring.

      First there was Kafka (Amerika), then there
      was Hasek (The Good Soldier Svejk), and then
      there was Vera Chytilova...

      Daisies ranks in my best ten films of all
      time.

      SEE YOU AT THE POLISH CLUB!

      Derek Yankowski
      dmyankowski@...

      POLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHG

      LOCATION OF THE POLISH HAPPY HOUR REVEALED!!!

      Tonight's Polish Happy Hour will be on

      Friday, Nov. 16th, 2001 at 8 p.m. at

      Ooh la la

      1800 M St., N.W., in Washington, D.C.

      The entrance to Ooh la la (formerly Relish
      Restaurant) is on 18th Street, next to
      Molecule hair salon.

      METRO:

      Farragut West, 18th St. Exit, Orange Line
      or
      Dupont Circle, South Exit, Red line

      DIRECTIONS

      From Dupont Circle metro:

      Walk south on 19th Street.
      Walk past N Street.
      Cross M Street, but
      turn left onto M Street
      (so that you are across the street from all
      the bars).
      Walk towards 18th Street.
      Turn right on 18th.
      Walk 100 ft, entrance is on the before Riggs
      Bank, set back from the sidewalk next to
      Molecule hair salon.

      Directions from Farragut West:

      Walk north on 18th Street, toward K Street,
      away from Eye Street.
      Entrance to Ooh la la will be on your left,
      right after Riggs Bank set back from the
      sidewalk next to the Molecule hair salon,
      across the street from Subway.

      No Cover Charge
      Cash bar
      (everyone pays for their drinks individually
      at the bar).

      Full kitchen available
      to serve appetizers and/or dinner.

      Bring yourself and most importantly,
      a good mood!

      For those of you new to the Polish Happy Hour,
      please ask any member of the waitstaff for
      the Polish Happy Hour.

      They'll know where we are.

      SAVE THE DATE:
      December 14, 2001
      Next Polish Happy Hour

      POLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHG

      BENEVOLENCE AND MUSIC

      Walking through GW's urban campus the other
      day, I overheard two students talking:

      "It's TOTALLY charitable," exclaimed a young
      woman with the angelic but sexy look.

      "I know, it's SOOO not-for-profit," replied
      the surfboarder guy soon to become a lawyer.

      What were they talking about?

      About Jerzy Stryjniak's concert of Franz
      Liszt music at GWU Lisner Auditorium, which
      will take place THIS SATURDAY at 7 p.m..

      These students were right, for all the
      proceeds from that concert will go to ABCXII
      Child Awareness Program for Poland, a
      successful charitable group led by Irena
      Kozminska, the wife of the former Polish
      Ambassador to the United States.

      ABCXII's executive board includes both
      seniors of Washington Polonia activism and a
      good bunch of people (Polish and friends of
      Poland) who've became active here more
      recently.

      Look at some of the names and you'll find
      your friends' names among them

      SIR Walter Zachariasiewicz
      Stefan Lopatkiewicz
      Sharon Whitehouse
      Susan Wilhere
      Stefan Lopatkiewicz, Esq.
      Hanna Bondarewska
      Irena Blaszkiewicz

      [alright, alright, wait with the applause,
      until I finish the list]

      Magdalena Pettey
      Mary & Robert Flanagan
      Fred Bieganski
      Barbara Bernhardt

      [that's the new Polish language instructor
      at AU, remember?]

      Sylvia Daneel

      [of the Polish Theater fame]

      Barbara Kapusto
      Irena Mirecki

      [recently awarded with a medal for her
      Polonian activities!]

      Kris Murawski, M.D.
      Elizabeth Pendzich

      hi! :)

      and Adeline Zachariasiewicz

      So, help out Polish children in need by
      enjoying another evening of classical music!

      DETAILS at

      POLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHG

      DINNER AND CEREMONIES WITH LECH WALESA
      -- Saturday, Nov. 17, in the evening

      I'm not sure if you can still get in to that
      event, but you can definitely try.

      If you're interested, read about it at

      http://www.nationalgraduateuniv.com/newinducteelechwalesa/

      POLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHG

      FILM ON SOLIDARITY ACTIVISTS STRANDED IN USA
      "CITIZENS" AT GEORGETOWN U.
      -- TUESDAY, NOV. 20, 7 p.m.

      As part of a series of commemorative events
      marking the 20th anniversary of the
      imposition of martial law in Poland,

      you are cordially invited by
      THE FRIENDS OF SOLIDARITY

      in association with
      THE EMBASSY OF THE REPUBLIC OF POLAND

      to a screening of:

      the acclaimed one-hour documentary film

      "CITIZENS"
      AN AMERICAN FILM PORTRAIT OF
      POLISH SOLIDARITY 1980-1981

      by Richard W. Adams

      "A vivid, evocative, powerful documentary"
      - William Styron

      DATE & TIME

      Tuesday, November 20
      7:00 p.m.

      PLACE

      InterCultural Center (ICC) Auditorium
      Georgetown University
      Entrance from Main Gate
      at 37th and O Streets

      $5 donation suggested.

      DETAILS

      Details about the film and its maker can
      be found at

      SOURCES
      Sophie Miskiewicz Peters (PAC)
      and the Embassy of the Republic of Poland

      COMMENT

      How many millions of people out there in
      the world would love to be "stranded"
      in America? :) Anyway, sounds like an
      interesting film, wanna come?

      -- MZ

      POLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHG

      Marcin,

      The wall-to-wall cement barricades and police
      presence on Capitol Hill is getting too much
      for me.

      Please get the word out I am looking for a
      one bedroom apt for myself and my cocker
      spaniel.

      The place must be metro accessible.

      Again a little bit about me: 48, Male,
      divorced, non-smoker, journalist, quiet.

      I was in Polish Village in Chicago over the
      weekend.

      Had fun dancing at a Polish nightclub which
      honestly is about my favorite spot on this
      planet.

      Thanks,
      Ted

      CONTACT

      ted knutson dcreporter@...

      COMMENT

      Oooh, poor Ted.

      Let's find him and his cocker spaniel a
      place to stay.

      I like that he likes the Polish people.

      Also, he capitalizes the word "male."

      That's right, Male and Proud!

      Please write to dcreporter@...
      with offers of accomodations.

      -MZ

      POLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHG

      God Bless America!

      Save the Queen!

      Get binie!

      POLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHG

      GAZETA WYBORCZA for WASHINGTON and BEYOND

      Gazeta Wyborcza can be delivered to your
      home or office on the day of its publication.

      Same-day delivery of Gazeta Wyborcza is
      available in the District and within the
      Beltway.

      For more information, please visit

      http://www.newspaperforme.com

      POLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHG

      Subscribe to

      POLISH NEWS

      an independent Polish American

      monthly magazine

      http://www.PolishNews.com

      POLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHG

      If you'd like to contribute to or advertise
      in the Polish Global Village newsletter,
      please write to Marcin@....

      Please tell others about this newsletter.

      Thank you!

      Marcin Zmudzki
      1748 Columbia Road, N.W., # 4
      Washington, DC 20009
      USA
      Phone (202) 234-7045
      Fax (202) 234-6916
      Email marcin@...

      POLISH GLOBAL VILLAGE

      POLISH WASHINGTON

      http://www.polishwashington.com

      POLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHGLOBALVILLAGEPOLISHG