Catholic Auschwitz survivor wages war against "Holocaust ignorance"

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2008
      News from the Polish American Congress

      "Nowhere else is Holocaust history as distorted and misrepresented as
      it is about Poland."

      This disturbing fact is the main reason Michael Preisler, a Polish
      Catholic survivor of Auschwitz, does not allow himself to stop his
      nearly thirty-year crusade to see that the American people are told
      the truth about the Holocaust.

      Most of the misrepresentations about Poland are from just plain
      ignorance. But he never discounts the possibility of willful malice,
      either. Whatever the reason, education is essential. Preisler visits
      many schools to tell students about his personal experiences during
      the German occupation of Poland in World War II. His account of what
      went on behind the barbed wires of Auschwitz is something these
      youngsters are bound to remember the rest of their lives.

      Now, as co-chair of the Holocaust Documentation Committee of the
      Polish American Congress, he has gone one step further. Thanks to
      generous donations from individuals who are just as concerned about
      Holocaust dishonesty as he is, Preisler's committee has purchased a
      thousand copies of Arthur Hempel's "Poland in World War II." He
      intends to use the books to fill what he calls a "gaping hole" in the
      average American's understanding of the Holocaust and the brutal
      terror the Germans used against the people of Poland.

      It did not take long to find someone with this gaping hole and
      in "dire need" of one of his books. To his astonishment, it happened
      to be a Catholic publication from Toronto, Canada, the Catholic
      Register, "which should have known better," and revealed
      a "deplorable misunderstanding of the most basic facts of World War
      II history." Instead of reporting that Poland became the first victim
      of Nazi Germany when Hitler invaded in 1939 to start the war, the
      Register wrote that Poland actually sided with the Germans and the
      Nazis. Being a Catholic, Preisler was "disappointed" that a Catholic
      periodical would be so misinformed about a country as Catholic as
      Poland is.

      "It just shows how much influence the steady stream of anti-Polish
      falsifications we see today can have on creating popular
      misconceptions, even on those we expect to know the facts," he said.

      Contact: Frank Milewski(718) 263-2700 – ext. 105
      HOLOCAUST DOCUMENTATION COMMITTEE
      177 Kent St., Brooklyn, N.Y. 11222 – (718) 349-9689

      Last Updated ( Monday, 05 May 2008 17:46 )

      http://www.polishnews.com/index.php?
      option=com_content&view=article&id=191:war-against-holacaust-
      ignorance&catid=82:news-from-usa-wiadomosci-z-usa&Itemid=199
    • Carol Dove