Avondale Neighborhood in Chicago

  • john
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2010
      I got the following from a friend in Chicago.

      John Guzlowski

      Has anyone heard of the controversy over the naming of the new school?

      In a largley polish neighborhood the parents of children were given a chance to vote on the name of the new school with these choices:

      Carlos "Caribe" Ruiz
      Federico Garcia Lorca
      Alejandro Tapia Y Rivera

      The notifications were dated March 15th and the votes required to be turned in by March 16th. None of these people have even a remote connection to this community and it seams were selected solely because they are in some way spanish. It is hard to believe that not one polish name could be found to put on this list. Who selected these three? Is this a deliberate attempt to insult the community? Anyone who remembers the old polish neighborhood in Wicker Park / Bucktown remembers how thouroughly traces of polish history have been wiped out. If you are interested in voicing your opinion please call the school 773-534-5250 or Alderman Reboyras 773-794-3095