National archive posting millions of photos to Wikipedia

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2008
      National archive posting millions of photos to Wikipedia
      Published: 4 Dec 08 14:38 CET
      Online: http://www.thelocal.de/sci-tech/20081204-15913.html

      The German National Archive announced on Thursday that some 100,000
      digitalized historical photos were available for the internet
      encyclopedia Wikipedia in a dual project that will eventually make
      about 11 million photos available for public use.

      "We decided on the cooperation because of the high hit rates that
      Wikipedia gets. This way we can reach the public a lot better,"
      archive deputy director B. Kuhl told The Local on Thursday. "It isn't
      that the national archive is ever closed or anything, but people
      would not normally think of us when they are looking for pictures."

      The archive decided which photos to release first based on their
      experience of the most popular requests and also worked with the
      Federal Press Office on the project. Images include documentation of
      the Holocaust, Weimar Republic era, public demonstrations and other
      important events in contemporary history, Kuhl said.

      "Everyone here is involved somehow, and it is a work in progress,"
      she said. "We have some 11 million pictures and have about 150,000
      together, so it's only a fraction at the moment."

      The digital photos will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, where users
      will then be able to attach them to corresponding entries on
      Wikipedia.

      "The cooperation shows how important Wikipedia has become," head of
      Wikimedia Deutschland Sebastian Moleski told news agency DDP.

      The Local (news@...)

      http://www.thelocal.de/sci-tech/20081204-15913.html