Re: [Poland-speaks-out] List of Useful Books

  • AtticusFinch1048@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
      Hi Jan

      As someone who is learning about his roots all aspects are of interest.

      But like many I am interested in the deportations to Russia, as that happened to my Great Grandmother, I would love to know what happened to many of the Police chiefs during the war as my Great Grandfather disappeared and never knew his family survived the war - we found he lived until 1970, which broke my Grandfathers heart.

      As my Grandfather at 17 fought in the defense of Poland, was captured, then fought in France before evacuation to the UK and being trained to be a paratrooper, so others experiences. Saturday night I discovered that his cousins or Uncles may have been at the Italian Battles and gave their lives.

      So it seems all periods as I try and discover family I never knew, knowing something of the Poland they were forced to leave or never allowed to return too. Plus any general histories of Poland as there is no harm in knowing the background. But then I also say that as a student of history!

      Paul
    • Carol Dove
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008

        Jan Paul and Group,

        I would love a listing of books and your personal favorites. Carol

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
          Dear Group,

          To be truthful I am behind anyway but it did not help having someone
          drive into the back of my car today. I am alright but as you may
          guess I had to make lots of phone calls.

          I am off to London for the weekend, so I am not sure when I will be
          able to complete my list of books. Anyway I will try to pick 10
          books over the next three weeks with reasons why and alternatives.

          Today I have selected my favourite book. By this I meant if you
          challenge me to select only one book from my collection to save in
          the event of fire, this would be the book- Warsaw Rebuilt. Many of
          you may not pick it but it's my choice. Warsaw is simply the best
          city on the planet. I been there 9 times and for those who
          understand the suffering of Poland, you simply can not walk down a
          street without there being something important to you.

          Warsaw Rebuilt is not even A5 and less than 150 pages which is
          mostly photos. Why is it so special? The way the photos are laid
          out. Each page is linked to it opposite. The first photo is taken
          in 1945 when the Germans had done their worst under the eyes of the
          Soviets and the second 1962. It's a f**k you to Adolf. When I
          showed the book to my Mum, who is Welsh/Irish, she cried.

          Warsaw Rebuilt by Adolf Ciborowski and Stanislaw Janowski published
          by Polonia Publishing House, Warsaw 1962.

          Other options:

          Warsaw: A City Destroyed and Rebuilt by Adolf Ciborowski, Polonia
          Publishing House, Warsaw 1964. This is larger (nearer A4 and over
          300 pages) version. I guess I prefer the earlier work as I read,
          actually it more like saw, it first. This book is a worthy
          additional to any collection but personally second to Warsaw Rebuilt.

          Warsaw past and present by Anna Kotanska and Anna Topolsk,
          Wydawnictwo Parma, 2005. This book is available in most tourist
          spots in Poland. This book lacks direct comparison of destroyed
          Warsaw to the rebuilt Warsaw which I love in the first two.

          Warszawa 1945-1950 w Fotografiach by Wiktor Brodzikowski, 2005.
          Good photos of the destruction but nothing of the rebuild.

          Poland, 1946 The Photographs and letters of John Vachon, edited by
          Ann Vachon, 1995. This book features the people more than the
          buildings. I can not help getting a little upset each time I look
          at it BUT keep looking.

          Rebuilding Poland by Padraic Kenney, Cornell University Press,
          1997. Not read but claims to be the "first book to examine the
          communist takeover in Poland".

          Regards

          Jan Niechwiadowicz, Cardiff
        • Carol
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10, 2008
            Jan and Group,

            You have some excellant books. I was thinking of adding,

            "The Poles who went to and through Russia in fight for freedom" Foto
            Album 1945 The photo's are excellant and I feel this should be
            shared.

            I also have "The Black Book of Poland" 1942 I have looked up names
            for others in the past. Let me know if you want me to check.

            Stalin: the war they waged and the peace they sought, Princeton,
            1957, and

            Feis, Between War and. Peace: the Potsdam Conference, Princeton,
            1960. ...

            http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/content/BPL_Images/Content_store/Sa
            mple_chapter/9780631207054/larres.pdf

            I could go on and on, I love to go to our Presidential files and read
            the org. letters between the presidents and there personal thoughts.
            Here's FDR's link to 1939. You can look at typed version or org. It
            shows what was being said about helping Poland and "Uncle Joe's"
            stand on not assisting. Very interesting but I'll warn you it's
            addicting.

            http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/psf/box32/folo304.html

            If you go here make sure to put the papers back as they cannot be
            saved to personal files.

            Thank you for your listing Jan and others please feel free to add to.

            Carol

            --- In Poland-speaks-out@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Niechwiadowicz"