List of Useful Books

  • Jan Niechwiadowicz
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
      Dear Paul,

      This could be a useful exercise hence I hope Carol feels it worth
      discussing on group. I would not claim to be an expert but I have
      read a fair amount hence I can tell you my personal favourites.

      It will take a day or too to come up with a "final" list but below
      are some initial ideas. It's a mixed bag with many areas missing
      (e.g. not decide which book on Katyn is best) and some books may get
      replaced (e.g. which summary of WWII I use could change from
      to "Polish Army 1939-45" to say ""Poles on the Battlefronts of the
      Second World War").

      Is there any particular part of Polish history you would like to know
      more about?

      Regards

      Jan Niechwiadowicz, Cardiff

      PS Anyone living in the UK is welcome to visit me in Cardiff to look
      my collection of books if it would help.

      MUST READS
      God's Playground: A History of Poland Volume 1 - The Origins to 1795
      by N. Davies
      God's Playground: A History of Poland Volume 2 - 1795 to the Present
      by N. Davies
      Poland 1918-1945 by Peter Stachura
      The Masacre in Jedwabne by Chodakiewicz

      Further Reading

      First Republic
      The Last King of Poland by Adam Zamoyski.

      Second Republic
      General Weygand and the Battle of the Vistula – 1920 by Zdzislaw
      Musialik

      Deportations, Katyn and Gulag
      Gulag a History by Anne Applebaum
      The Abandoned Legion by Michael Hopes

      Military/WWII
      Polish Army 1939-45 by Steven J Zaloga
      An Army in Exile by General Anders
      Freely I Served by Stanislaw Sosabowski
      Sikorski: Soldier and Statesman by Keith Sword

      Polish Suffering WWII
      Forgotten Holocaust by Richard C. Lukas
      Origins of the Final Solution Christopher R. Browning

      Jews during WWII
      Neighbours by Jan Gross
      A Cup of Tears by Abraham Lewin
      Defiance by Nechama Tec
      In The Sewers of Lvov by Robert Marshall

      Communist Era
      We the People: The revolution of 89 by Timothy Garton Ash

      If you can get them
      Concise Statistical Year-Book of Poland (1933)
      Polish Navy in the Second World War by Michael Alfred Peszke
      A Rebellious City: Poznan in June 1956
    • AtticusFinch1048@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
        Hi Jan

        As someone who is learning about his roots all aspects are of interest.

        But like many I am interested in the deportations to Russia, as that happened to my Great Grandmother, I would love to know what happened to many of the Police chiefs during the war as my Great Grandfather disappeared and never knew his family survived the war - we found he lived until 1970, which broke my Grandfathers heart.

        As my Grandfather at 17 fought in the defense of Poland, was captured, then fought in France before evacuation to the UK and being trained to be a paratrooper, so others experiences. Saturday night I discovered that his cousins or Uncles may have been at the Italian Battles and gave their lives.

        So it seems all periods as I try and discover family I never knew, knowing something of the Poland they were forced to leave or never allowed to return too. Plus any general histories of Poland as there is no harm in knowing the background. But then I also say that as a student of history!

        Paul
      • Carol Dove
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008

          Jan Paul and Group,

          I would love a listing of books and your personal favorites. Carol

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2008
            Dear Group,

            To be truthful I am behind anyway but it did not help having someone
            drive into the back of my car today. I am alright but as you may
            guess I had to make lots of phone calls.

            I am off to London for the weekend, so I am not sure when I will be
            able to complete my list of books. Anyway I will try to pick 10
            books over the next three weeks with reasons why and alternatives.

            Today I have selected my favourite book. By this I meant if you
            challenge me to select only one book from my collection to save in
            the event of fire, this would be the book- Warsaw Rebuilt. Many of
            you may not pick it but it's my choice. Warsaw is simply the best
            city on the planet. I been there 9 times and for those who
            understand the suffering of Poland, you simply can not walk down a
            street without there being something important to you.

            Warsaw Rebuilt is not even A5 and less than 150 pages which is
            mostly photos. Why is it so special? The way the photos are laid
            out. Each page is linked to it opposite. The first photo is taken
            in 1945 when the Germans had done their worst under the eyes of the
            Soviets and the second 1962. It's a f**k you to Adolf. When I
            showed the book to my Mum, who is Welsh/Irish, she cried.

            Warsaw Rebuilt by Adolf Ciborowski and Stanislaw Janowski published
            by Polonia Publishing House, Warsaw 1962.

            Other options:

            Warsaw: A City Destroyed and Rebuilt by Adolf Ciborowski, Polonia
            Publishing House, Warsaw 1964. This is larger (nearer A4 and over
            300 pages) version. I guess I prefer the earlier work as I read,
            actually it more like saw, it first. This book is a worthy
            additional to any collection but personally second to Warsaw Rebuilt.

            Warsaw past and present by Anna Kotanska and Anna Topolsk,
            Wydawnictwo Parma, 2005. This book is available in most tourist
            spots in Poland. This book lacks direct comparison of destroyed
            Warsaw to the rebuilt Warsaw which I love in the first two.

            Warszawa 1945-1950 w Fotografiach by Wiktor Brodzikowski, 2005.
            Good photos of the destruction but nothing of the rebuild.

            Poland, 1946 The Photographs and letters of John Vachon, edited by
            Ann Vachon, 1995. This book features the people more than the
            buildings. I can not help getting a little upset each time I look
            at it BUT keep looking.

            Rebuilding Poland by Padraic Kenney, Cornell University Press,
            1997. Not read but claims to be the "first book to examine the
            communist takeover in Poland".

            Regards

            Jan Niechwiadowicz, Cardiff
          • Carol
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10, 2008
              Jan and Group,

              You have some excellant books. I was thinking of adding,

              "The Poles who went to and through Russia in fight for freedom" Foto
              Album 1945 The photo's are excellant and I feel this should be
              shared.

              I also have "The Black Book of Poland" 1942 I have looked up names
              for others in the past. Let me know if you want me to check.

              Stalin: the war they waged and the peace they sought, Princeton,
              1957, and

              Feis, Between War and. Peace: the Potsdam Conference, Princeton,
              1960. ...

              http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/content/BPL_Images/Content_store/Sa
              mple_chapter/9780631207054/larres.pdf

              I could go on and on, I love to go to our Presidential files and read
              the org. letters between the presidents and there personal thoughts.
              Here's FDR's link to 1939. You can look at typed version or org. It
              shows what was being said about helping Poland and "Uncle Joe's"
              stand on not assisting. Very interesting but I'll warn you it's
              addicting.

              http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/psf/box32/folo304.html

              If you go here make sure to put the papers back as they cannot be
              saved to personal files.

              Thank you for your listing Jan and others please feel free to add to.

              Carol

              --- In Poland-speaks-out@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Niechwiadowicz"