Setting history right

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2008
      Group,

      Here's an update on Jan's hard work on "Wikipedia". Anyone with free
      time we also need help in Polish_Media_Issues@... as a
      group we strive to correct media issues that misrepresent Poland and
      her place in history. Any questions please feel free to ask? Jan has
      a list of goals that are well within reach. As I always say, many
      voices make light work.

      Carol

      Dear Group,

      To update you on this one, as you may recall this article did not
      have
      any references. I have added 4 references and 6 further reading
      suggestions. I planned to add a few more references when I have more
      time.

      Regards

      Jan Niechwiadowicz, Cardiff

      Dear Group,

      The following article has been challenged on Wikipedia for lacking
      any sources. I plan to work on this for the next week but any member
      with suitable sources and/or suggestions to improve the article are
      welcome to contact me on/off group.

      Regards

      Jan Niechwiadowicz, Cardiff

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesty_for_Polish_citizens_in_USSR

      Amnesty for Polish citizens in USSR refers to an amnesty in USSR,
      resulting in temporary stop of persecutions of Polish citizens under
      Soviet control.

      Soviet Union has invaded Poland in 1939, breaking relations with the
      Polish government and repressing Polish citizens on the occupied
      territories. The outbreak of the Soviet-German War in 1941 and
      Sikorski-Mayski Negotiations have led to the change of Soviet
      policies towards the Poles, as leniency was needed if Soviets were to
      recruit and create a Polish force under their command. On 12 August
      that year Soviets issued an amnesty to Polish citizens.

      Those who could prove they were Polish citizens had their citizenship
      restored (it was annulled in the aftermath of the Soviet invasion in
      1939); there was no clear definition of the "Polish citizenship" and
      eventually the Soviets limited it only to Polish ethnicity (which de
      facto covered some Polish Jews, but not the Ukrainian or Belorussians
      who were former citizens of the Second Polish Republic). The decree
      did not cover people imprisoned or under investigation; and it was
      common for 'special cases' to be denied the amnesty on technical
      grounds (or even denied information about the amnesty or the
      possibility of joining the Polish forces). According to NKVD document
      of 1 August, 381 220 people were to be covered by the amnesty.

      The term amnesty is criticized in Polish historiography, as it
      implies the Soviet Union had a legal basis for persecute Polish
      citizens (some of whom, for example, were persecuted for "treason of
      Soviet Union" - even through they committed as Polish citizens in
      independent Poland, not breaking any Polish laws).

      After the Anders Army left Soviet sphere of influence, repressions
      towards the Polish citizens reintensified.
    • Jan Niechwiadowicz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16 3:35 AM
        Dear Group,

        Sorry I have been meaning to reply to this for sometime. Thanks to
        Carol for the plug. Anyone interested can learn more at
        http://www.supportpoland.org/PMI/PMI.html.

        Carol, please do plug your groups on mine.

        www.supportpoland.org