Gulag producer looking for ....

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2008
      Hi my name is Keith Clarke. I am a film producer/writer in Los
      Angeles... I am in the process of producing a film of Polish escapee
      prisoners from the Gulags in WW II. We anticipate filming to begin in
      October 2008. Our story concerns prisoners who escaped from Siberia
      and survived the treacherous journey either through Mongolia,
      Khazistan onto either Afghanistan, Persia or thru China to Tibet over
      the Himalayas to India. We have official records of Poles who made it
      to India from Siberia. There are accounts of Poles going thru Tibet
      and over the Himalayas (including the Long Walk which its veracity is
      called into questions thru recently discovered records not just from
      Russia but also the Hoover and Anders collection). We have read a
      hundred plus books and hundreds of accounts of exiles
      being "amnestied" plus the amazing collection of information on the
      internet the groups such as yours and have been working closely with
      the Hoover institute and the Sikorski Museum etc.

      Because we are close to filming we are being specific in our research
      now:

      I am going to Moscow and London in mid April 2008. I would like to
      meet and visit with Gulag prisoners; men, woman and children. Anybody
      that escaped or was part of the "amnesty" etc. Do you have any names
      or suggestions how best for me to accomplish this. Our film is moving
      forward and we are doing location scouts in Mongolia and Siberia
      before we head to Moscow for more research at Memorial and a few
      other archive museums. The interviews will be crucial as we are
      rewriting the script after our visits etc If any one has suggestions
      of places we should visit, other than those mentioned in the
      locations we are going to, or people that we should meet, please feel
      free to let me know and contact names and addresses for those places.
      For instance when we visit Tomsk, we are going to the former NKVD
      headquarters and transit camp. Is there somewhere else in that
      vicinity that we should visit? In Perm we are going to a camp that is
      now a museum to remind the world that such atrocities should never
      happen again. Is there somewhere or someone in Perm we should visit
      too?

      Itinerary : Russia - Moscow - Perm - Tomsk - Irkustk - Lake Baikal -
      Siberia: Memorial - GARF- Lubyanka- Perm Gulag Museum- Simeon
      Vilensky-Sakharov Institute and individuals.

      Visceral impact: The feel, smell, sounds. Photographs - personal
      stories- personal items - artifacts - wallets - notes - personal
      photos etc anything that reflects life in the Gulag.

      Gulag system 1940-41 - as experienced in Siberia because of the
      extreme weather conditions - great distances covered and death toll
      just to arrive at the isolated camps.

      We are not seeking records or files. Nor a history lesson of who,
      how, why or when the Gulag system was instigated. (We have spent
      nearly 2 years researching thru the Hoover, Sikorski, a hundred plus
      books and many interviews). We are interested in knowing as best as
      possible as observers, the very real torment of camp life and its
      long lasting effects on the prisoners.

      Film/video footage of the Gulag world - the trains, camps, Irki,
      guards, the type of work, slave labor like conditions, food,
      clothing, artifacts.

      We desire to meet an ex prisoner who could walk us thru a day in a
      camp.

      We desire to learn about escapees and maybe to meet anyone who
      escaped to learn of their experience as they journeyed out of Russia
      to their final destination. How did they survive? What were the
      physical conditions? Who did they escape with/ How many survived
      their trek? .

      Photo's of Irki and their tattoos what they represented - the stories
      they tell.(Irki or Urki are the criminal prisoners who ruthlessly
      kept order and helped run the camps for the NKVD)

      From our research we have created the character of a young girl ( 12 -
      13 yrs old in 1941 ) Polish etc whose parents might have come to
      join the communist dream but were thrown in the gulags; their
      daughter had to survive on her own, either in the camps or in the
      towns, A girl who might have become a street urchin to survive. We
      would like to try and meet a woman who might have had a similar
      experience.

      LONDON: Same goals as in Moscow but in addition...

      Sikorski : Henry/Richard Wieksza (escapee), Anetaa (A Forgotten
      Odyssey) and individuals:

      This research information: From POV of the Poles, Latvians
      Lithuanians etc. 1939-42

      Escapees: prior to amnesty and their treks to freedom. How they
      escaped. Their ordeal to survive: highs/lows - the deceased and
      survivors - the weather/terrain conditions, food, clothing - people
      they avoided and the ones who showed compassion. Artifacts that were
      important. Constant danger. World was your prison.

      Survivors of the Gulag system. Life in a camp for non-politicos -
      exiles. Impressions of the Irki- criminal class.

      Specific goals: Life in the Gulag system 1940-41 - as experienced in
      Siberia because of the extreme weather conditions - great distances
      covered and death toll just to arrive at the isolated camps.

      Visceral impact: The feel, smell, sounds. Photographs - personal
      stories- personal items - artifacts - wallets - notes - personal
      photos etc anything that reflects life in the Gulag.

      Film/video footage of the Gulag world - the trains, camps, Irki,
      guards, the type of work, slave labor like conditions, food,
      clothing, artifacts.

      From our research we have created the character of a young girl ( 12 -
      13 yrs old in 1941 ) possibly Polish etc whose parents might have
      come to join the communist dream but were thrown in the gulags; their
      daughter had to survive on her own, either in the camps or in the
      towns, A girl who might have become a street urchin to survive. We
      would like to try and meet a woman who might have had a similar
      experience.

      I am also trying to track down four escapees who made their way from
      Siberia to Bombay, India via Afghanistan in March 1942. I got this
      info thru Hoover and their Polish Embassy papers from India (1942) :
      The Polish men are:

      Zdzislaw Piwowarski,

      Wladyslaw Wasik,

      Roman Maslowski

      Roman Michaluk.

      I am also interested in finding other stories of Gulag escapees.
      Amdrej at the Sikorski mentioned a well known story of two Poles who
      escaped from Russia and made their way to India by train.

      I look forward to any and all information and/or guidance as to where
      I might get the details. Thank you. Keith Clarke
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2008
        Aneta Naszynska, who made the 'A Forgotten Odyssey film with Jagna
        Wright has been lucky enough to be in contact with a Los Angeles film-
        maker who wants to make a documentry film, similar to AFO, but of
        survivors that are not in Poland now. Their plan is this;

        If, through our group and others, they can, first collect the stories
        of folk's that either escaped or were given 'amnesty',[stories
        to 'aneta@...' - marked 'escape' or 'amnesrty'] read and
        sort them, then that person will be contacted, with a view to
        interviewing/recording the stories for the film.

        The reason that this is an urgent message is because the film-makers
        from LA will be in London on *19th* April!!!. So, the stories need to
        be emailed to Aneta, sorted, submitted to the film-makers, and
        arrangements made to either see the people in London or see them at
        their homes, if they don't live too far away.

        Sorry I don't know much more than that at the moment, just an early
        morning phone call from Aneta this morning. Please remembeer - there
        would be no AFO or K-S, if it wasn't for Aneta and Jagna!

        Do it in the emory of Jagna??

        Linder

        --- In Poland-speaks-out@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <stashaok@...>