Re: Reading Stalin's Secret Police Files of the Executed, "I remember"

  • Carol Dove
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10 5:30 AM
      David and Group,

      This is what I found and Pawlikoeski is still searching for a writer.

      Pawel Pawlikowski takes on Stalin
      BAFTA-winner attached to adapt 'Young Stalin'
      By ADAM DAWTREYAll of history's monsters end up mythologized on the
      bigscreen sooner or later, so there's no reason why Joseph Stalin
      should be the exception.

      But this being Pawlikowski, who tends to use books merely as a
      jumping-off point for his imagination, don't expect anything in the
      way of a conventional lifestory. "I'm not interested in the man," he
      declares. "It's definitely not a biopic. It's just an excuse to make
      a film in this mythic landscape where religion, fairy tale, ideology,
      banditry, poetry and love meet".

      http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117972465.html?categoryid=1246&cs=1

      --- In Poland-speaks-out@yahoogroups.com, "Fridge Productions"
      <fridgeproductions@...> wrote:

      > Following on from Carol's weekend posts regarding bringing these
      stories to
      > a wider audience, I've also have heard that "Young Stalin" is in
      production.
      > Although I cannot find any reference to the fact.
      >

      > Regards,
      >

      > David Jinks
      >
      > Producer
      >
      > Fridge Productions
      >

      > <http://www.fridgeproductions.co.uk/>
      >

      > <http://www.producersforum.org.uk/>
      >

      > www.fridgeproductions.co.uk
      >
      > tel : +44 773 944 7018
      >

      > This e-mail is only for the above addressees. It may contain
      confidential or
      > privileged information.
      >

      > If you are not an addressee you must not copy, distribute, disclose
      or use
      > any of the information in it or any attachments.
      >

      > If you have received it in error please notify the sender and
      delete it
      > immediately.
      >

      > Fridge Productions Limited. Registered office : 2nd Floor, 145-157
      St.John
      > Street, London, EC1V 4PY
      >

      > Registered in England as company number 5936380.
      >

      > _____

      Who
      > remembers the names now of the boyars Ivan the Terrible got rid of?
      > No one.... The people had to know he was getting rid of all his
      > enemies. In the end, they all got what they deserved."
      >
      > Perusing these and many other similar cases, one clearly hears the
      > voices of fear, agony, anger, resistance, despair and resignation
      > from people faced with execution. Even their forced silence often
      > sounds eloquent. These people were condemned to oblivion by Stalin
      > for whom their lives meant nothing. Ironically, Stalin's attempt to
      > extinguish their voices was the instrument that has preserved them,
      > in the depths of their case files. At least hundreds of thousands
      of
      > similar files are still waiting to be read in the archives
      throughout
      > the former Soviet Union.
      >
      > http://hnn.us/ <http://hnn.us/articles/47625.html>
      articles/47625.html

    • Fridge Productions
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10 5:44 AM

        Pity. Sounds like his vehicle for something like “The Motorcycle Diaries”. Which I thought was very good. (Different Director)

        A film about Stalin however cannot be whimsical or saccharine.

        Worrying.

        Regards,

        David Jinks

        Producer

        Fridge Productions

        <fridgeproductions@ ...> wrote:

        > Following on from Carol's weekend posts regarding bringing these
        stories to
        > a wider audience, I've also have heard that "Young Stalin" is in
        production.
        > Although I cannot find any reference to the fact.
        >

        > Regards,
        >

        > David Jinks
        >
        > Producer
        >
        > Fridge Productions
        >

        > <http://www.fridgepr oductions. co.uk/>
        >

        > <http://www.producer sforum.org. uk/>
        >

        > www.fridgeproductio ns.co.uk
        >
        > tel : +44 773 944 7018
        >

        > This e-mail is only for the above addressees. It may contain
        confidential or
        > privileged information.
        >

        > If you are not an addressee you must not copy, distribute, disclose
        or use
        > any of the information in it or any attachments.
        >

        > If you have received it in error please notify the sender and
        delete it
        > immediately.
        >

        > Fridge Productions Limited. Registered office : 2nd Floor, 145-157
        St.John
        > Street, London ,
        w:st="on">EC1V 4PY

        > Registered in England
        as company number 5936380.

        > _____

        href="http://hnn.us/articles/47625.html">http://hnn.us/ articles/ 47625.html>
        articles/47625. html

      • Carol Dove

          <fridgeproductions@ ...> wrote:

          > Following on from Carol's weekend posts regarding bringing these
          stories to
          > a wider audience, I've also have heard that "Young Stalin" is in
          production.
          > Although I cannot find any reference to the fact.
          >

          > Regards,
          >

          > David Jinks
          >
          > Producer
          >
          > Fridge Productions
          >

          > <http://www.fridgepr oductions. co.uk/>
          >

          > <http://www.producer sforum.org. uk/>
          >

          > www.fridgeproductio ns.co.uk
          >
          > tel : +44 773 944 7018
          >

          > This e-mail is only for the above addressees. It may contain
          confidential or
          > privileged information.
          >

          > If you are not an addressee you must not copy, distribute, disclose
          or use
          > any of the information in it or any attachments.
          >

          > If you have received it in error please notify the sender and
          delete it
          > immediately.
          >

          > Fridge Productions Limited. Registered office : 2nd Floor, 145-157
          St.John
          > Street, London , EC1V 4PY
          >

          > Registered in England as company number 5936380.
          >

          > _____

        • Krystyna

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 10 4:04 PM

                Thanks Krystyna.

                That’s worrying.

                Johnny Depp is a fine actor, but his portrayals of various crimos have bordered on the likeable eg. Blow, Donnie Brasco (undercover cop).

                Possibly due to the fact that JD is decent chap himself.

                Apart from a slight physical likeness I do not see a comparison.

                With John Hodge (Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, A Life Less Ordinary and The Beach) writing, the film could be far less repugnant that it should be.

                I need to read the book (once I’ve got through loads of others dealing with Stalin’s actions).

                The problem with films is that they entertainment. Few main stream features show the reality. Since in some cases the reality is unimaginably terrifying.

                I’m not sure what the young Stalin was like, but as Michael Apted said in the UK Granada TV series “7 Up”, “Give me a boy at 7 and I’ll show you the man”. Or something like that.

                Anyone familiar with the series, currently at “49 Up” will probably agree. Therefore, the young Stalin perhaps needs to be played in a similar fashion as to how Bruno Gantz portrayed Adolf Hitler in “Downfall”.

                Regards,

                David Jinks

                Producer

                Fridge Productions

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10 4:36 PM
                  Carol;
                  They have signed their agreement just days ago. Not sure if Johnny has agreed to play the role as yet.
                   www.Miramax.com might be relasing the film.
                   They might ask Johnny to speak in Gruzian :-)
                  Below is the book review link

                  pozdrawiam Krystyna