WW2 Polish expellees on display at the European Parliament

  • Carol Dove
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2008
      Group,

      It seems they miss us. This lack of knowledge is changing so fast and
      it seems my last letter asking the Polish President did not go
      unnoticed as I had requested this. I'll let everyone know when I get
      a reply, it takes a few months to get to me. Personally I feel it's
      being side tracked by President Bush so he is up to date. LOL I sent
      him his own letter, he must be making sure they say the same thing.

      Carol Celinska Dove

      History of European Parliament

      06.03.2008
      Listen 3,46 MB
      WW2 Polish expellees on display at the European Parliament

      The exhibition is on display at the European Parliament building.The
      European Parliament is hosting an exhibition on expulsions of Poles
      between 1939 and 1945. The event gives an excellent opportunity to
      present unknown facts to the European public.

      Piotr Bonislawski reports

      Dr. Janusz Kurtyka, the President of the Institute of National
      Remembrance, and Members of the European Parliament Bogus³aw Sonik
      and prof. Wojciech Roszkowski opened an exhibition titled "The
      Expelled" at the European Parliament building in Brussels.

      Professor Wojciech Roszkowski explains the reasons for organizing
      such an event:

      'There is a lot of ignorance about the fate of Poland during the 20th
      century and particularly during the Second World War. This gap is
      filled with absurd stereotypes. Therefore the main goal of this
      exhibition is to make Europeans more familiar with Polish history.'

      The exhibition consists of large format posters with pictures and
      maps, together with LCD displays, presenting first hand accounts of
      witnesses of the times when Polish citizens were suffering
      repressions from both occupants – the Germans and the Soviets.

      Professor Vytautas Landsbergis, a Member of the European Parliament
      and an icon of the Lithuanian independence movement points out that
      such exhibitions still play an important role in the discourse on
      history between the European nations:

      'It reminds us that Europe is still divided in knowledge, in
      understanding and education. There are still two Europes - one of
      them unfortunate by destiny and the other one more fortunate by
      history, but unfortunately lacking knowledge about the past.'

      And indeed, education is probably the most important aspect of the
      event in the European Parliament. Emma Jackson from Chicago is doing
      her internship at one of the MEP offices. She came to see the
      presentation and to learn about the history of the land of her
      ancestors:

      'This exhibition is quite interesting and quite sad at the same time.
      My history textbooks in high school and in college did not really
      mention the issue of Polish expulsion, so reading this history will
      certainly form a better understanding of what happened between 1939
      and 1945.'

      Ambassador Jan Tombinski, Poland's Permanent Representative to the
      European Communities stressed the importance of making the Polish
      voice heard in the European debate on history:

      'One could think that this kind of exhibition today, almost 70 years
      after the WWII had started, should not be treated as a novelty. But
      for many of our partners from the European Union the facts presented
      here are a real discovery. They don't know or don't want to know
      about it. Therefore talking about expelled Polish citizens even after
      70 years simply makes sense in Europe.'

      The exhibition prepared by the Institute of National Remembrance
      catches the attention here in the building at Rue Wiertz in Brussels
      where the European Parliament is located. MEPs, their assistants and
      parliament staffers from 27 EU countries are stopping by, anxious to
      learn more about the expelled Polish citizens who suffered during
      WWII. And previously unheard history finds its place in the European
      context.

      http://www.polskier adio.pl/zagranic a/news/artykul77 433.html