Re: [Poland-speaks-out] The Russia won't like this

  • Carol Dove
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2008
      Jan,

      There is nothing Pres. Putin likes lately. Just wait until he reads this, Another U.S. Missile Defense Facility Considered for Europe

      February 13, 2008 - 10:37am

      WASHINGTON - The U.S. is considering the addition of a mobile radar component to the missile defense system in Europe, Defense News reports. The radar would be "mobile and transportable," allowing it to be set up "closer to Iran" than the permanent radar that is already planned for installation in the Czech Republic, said Air Force Lt. Gen. Henry Obering, director of the Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency. The "forward-based" radar system might be installed in southeastern Europe, possibly in Turkey, the Caucasus or the Caspian Sea region, Obering told a defense-technology conference.

      http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=109&sid=1344506

      Carol

      Jan Niechwiadowicz <jan_niechwiadowicz@...> wrote:
      http://english. people.com. cn/90001/ 90777/90853/ 6355214.html

      The Polish foreign ministry has not confirmed rumors that Poland plans
      to be among the first countries to recognize Kosovo's independence.

      According to unofficial sources Warsaw wants to recognize Kosovo as
      soon as possible.

      The foreign ministry told Polish news agency PAP Friday that Poland
      will make its decision on Kosovo after a Monday-scheduled Brussels
      meeting of EU foreign ministers on the matter.

      European Parliament foreign affairs commission head Jacek Saryusz-
      Wolski said the EU was striving for a "possibly unanimous stand on
      Kosovo."

      Kosovo, currently a province of Serbia, is expected to proclaim
      independence on Sunday, Feb. 17. Acceptance of the move has been voiced
      by the United States and most of the EU to hefty protests from Serbia
      and Russia.

    • Jan Niechwiadowicz
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2008
        Dear Carol and Group,

        I am current in Poland hence I may have missed some posts and lack
        access to a spelling checker (well I have access to a Polish one but
        it seems to think all my words are wrong).

        >> It seems theres not much the Russian Pres. Putin does like.

        What seems strange is the relatively weak position of Russia.
        Basically their GDP is half the UK and these spend on their military
        is likewise half. Compared to the US their spend on military is
        nothing. They can not afford another arms race, they lost the last
        time and would easier this time unless they are counting on China to
        join them.

        >> It is as if Russia still does not understand that Poland and
        Ukraine are free.

        To be fair to Russia they have suffered invasion (but then so have
        Poland, Ukraine and Belarus) and I can understand Russia concerns. I
        was worried that the new Polish government would give in too much to
        Russia but so far they seem to playing the game well i.e. seeking
        friendship with Russia but still making a stand where necessary.

        >> This last threat seems like a political ploy in light of the
        upcoming elections in Russia.

        Agreed.

        Regards

        Jan Niechwiadowicz, Cardiff