RE: [PoeCipher]

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2000
      Tim wrote:

      > If Tyler was trying to prove that his cipher was close to
      > unbreakable, wouldn't he be undermining his own case by using
      > plaintext in a language other than English ?
      >
      > And I know that education was rather different 160 years ago,
      > but it still seems to me to be stretching matters to suggest
      > that most readers of Graham's magazine would be literate in
      > many of the above, with the possible exception of Latin....

      Yes, my first choice of language in the plaintext is English.

      But, as you point out, education was different 160 ago, when
      the USA was less than one hundred years old and not as "cultured"
      as Europe - and American schools required proficiency in foreign
      languages to a much larger extent than now.

      We should consider that Tyler might have written the plaintext
      in a foreign language, not as an attempt to confuse the analyst,
      but as a token of respect to his "perfect cryptograph".

      I expect to see fragments of English seeping through the analysis
      soon, but I'm prepared to shift to another language in a heartbeat.

      Regards,
      Dave