Coming to a cinema soon

  • Steve Crook
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 29
      AMOLAD; Ballymun, Dublin, RoI; 27 February @ 2:30pm
      http://www.axisballymun.ie/whatson/shows/the-pictures-a-matter-of-life-and-death

      PT; Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF); 4 February @ 9pm
      http://www.tiff.net/films/peeping-tom

      TRS; TIFF; 5 & 24 February @ 1pm
      http://www.tiff.net/films/the-red-shoes

      Enjoy :)

      Steve
    • Steve Crook
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 5
        Coming to a cinema soon ...

        ToH; Museum of the Moving Image, Astoria, NY; 10 December @ 6:30 p.m
        http://www.movingimage.us/visit/calendar/2017/12/10/detail/tales-of-hoffmann
        To by introduced by Thelma Schoonmaker

        AMOLAD; Irish Film Institute, Dublin; Fri 08 Dec - Thu 14 Dec
        http://ifi.ie/film/a-matter-of-life-and-death-3/

        AMOLAD; Curzon Bloomsbury, London; Fri 08 Dec - Thu 14 Dec
        Nothing on their web site yet

        Enjoy

            Steve
      • Julian Bridger

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 11
              I am visiting my parents in Calcutta, & the annual film festival (it's a big event locally) is going on here.  Anyway, I noticed TRS is playing on 13th November at 9am.  I don't expect a lot of people coming in that early on a weekday :-)  I'll try to take my father to see it.  He has the Criterion DVD & at the age of 87 isn't as keen on trekking to a theater as he used to be.  I'll give it a shot anyway.

              Tipu
            • Steve Crook
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 11
                That's great Tipu, I hope that you & your father can make it and that you both enjoy it.
                But where exactly is it being shown? The link doesn't give the name of a cinema.
                Just "Somewhere in Kolkata (Calcutta)" isn't very accurate  :)

                    Steve

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 11
                  The website is very bad :-)  Here are the venue details - http://www.kff.in/venue.php?v=36

                  It's at Nandan 1 theater (1/1, Lala Lajpat Rai Sarani A J C Bose Road, Kolkata, West Bengal 700020, India).  This was the first art house theater in Calcutta (now called Kolkata) & was a favorite haunt of the late Bengali director Satyajit Ray.  I remember going to see The Whales Of August & he was in the audience.  At 6ft 3 you didn't want to be sitting behind him.  Whales director Lindsay Anderson was a close personal friend of his.

                  Earlier this year I was in Shanghai for the summer when the Shanghai International Film Festival was in full swing, & in the absence of Google Maps (Google is banned in China) I wasn't able to figure out where any of the theaters were & when i did find them realized that the tickets have all been sold out on the movie apps that are very popular in China (but they all being in Chinese script, it's unusable for people like us).  So I am grateful for the small mercies in this website, like Google maps for the venues.  When I was in college it was impossible to find tickets for these festivals, but my father assures me that isn't a problem now given the ubiquity of streaming options & DVD's. That would be a big cultural shift for me :-)

                  Regards,

                  Tipu
                • Steve Crook
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 11
                    Thanks for that Tipu,
                    It looks like quite a fancy building from the outside

                    I've added it to the PaPAS web site

                    Thanks

                        Steve

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 11
                      When I was in Calcutta, I thought Nandan cineplex was the best place in the world.  I stood in line for 2 hours to get tickets for Ben Hur, saw Citizen Kane for the first time (the audio track was running a minute or so behind the film), Eisenstein's Ivan The Terrible pts 1 & 2 without subtitles, getting into an argument with the usher when my brother & I tried to get to the more expensive seats for Doctor In The House, going to see Christ Stopped At Eboli with an almost girlfriend (she loved the movie), skipping class to see Rome Open City with friends one of who pointed out my father was in the audience so had to leave before the hall lights came out etc.  I think I spent the 90's entirely there

                      Tipu
                    • dave_garrett
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 12
                        Great stories, Tipu, along with your earlier one about not wishing to sit behind Satyajit Ray in the cinema. Have you seen the memorable photo of Ray with two other filmic titans, Kurosawa and Antonioni, at the Taj Mahal? I'd have loved to have been able to eavesdrop on that conversation.

                        https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/3038-flashback-satyajit-ray
                      • tipu_lives
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 12
                          Thanks Dave.  Yes, it is a famous photo.  This was the same time that the local broadcaster did a panel discussion with the 3 of them & also Elia Kazan who also happened to be there for the Delhi Film Festival.  Sadly after that first broadcast the tapes were lost.  The same organization similarly lost a discussion with Brando & Ray.  I feel sad whenever I see this photo.

                          Speaking of sadness it turned out that TRS is part of a delegates-only showing.  They weren't selling tickets to ordinary mortals like us.  On the way home from the venue my father told me he had seen TRS back when it was first released in India (he couldn't recall which city, as he was finishing college around that time & moving to Calcutta from a smaller hill station in the north east).  I couldn't beat that, & for the rest we will always have Criterion :-)

                          I did take a couple of photos of a selfie wall where MP & TRS is name checked :-)

                          http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr276/tipu_lives/DSC_0015.jpg

                          http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr276/tipu_lives/DSC_0016.jpg

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 13
                            Here are a few more P&P films "Coming to a cinema soon"

                            AMOLAD; Various Picturehouse cinemas; Fri 08 Dec - Thu 14 Dec
                            Nothing on their various web sites yet for 8 December

                            AMOLAD; Chapter Cinema, Cardiff; Sun 17 Dec - Tue 19 Dec
                            Nothing on their web site yet

                            AMOLAD; Firstsite; Colchester; Sun 17 Dec
                            Nothing on their web site yet

                            TRS; Filmmuseum Potsdam, Germany; Sat 09 Dec
                            Nothing on their web site yet

                            TRS; Kolkata International Film Festival, India; Fri 10 Nov - Fri 17 Nov
                            See Tipu's recent posts

                            TRS; Duke of York's Picturehouse, Brighton; Sun 12 Nov - Tue 14 Nov
                            https://www.picturehouses.com/cinema/Duke_Of_Yorks/film/the-red-shoes

                            Enjoy

                                Steve
                          • Steve Crook

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 13
                                PAPAS stand no chance against the powers of Indian bureaucracy.  Apparently a delegate is someone with a badge :-)  No one could tell me the criteria but applications needed to be made a month back.  It is quite the mess.  I think for whatever reasons they can't charge money for these movies.  If I had known it earlier I would have pulled some strings for these badges.  Instead I roundly abused the organizers & went back home with my father.

                                This is a very Indian film festival thing.  Back in the late 90's a famous venue in Delhi was showing a retrospective of Truffaut movies.  The opening movie was a documentary on the great man, & I changed 3 buses & got to the venue.  It wasn't a problem getting in, & on the way out a local TV news crew interviewed me about Truffaut.  I gave my opinions about Nouvelle Vague & how 400 Blows changed film grammar & other such high flying film school stuff.  Friends saw me on national TV the following morning & in those pre-social media days sent me emails to congratulate me.  The main festival started the following day & I was back basking in my new found fame.  It lasted all of 10 minutes as the ushers at the gate refused to let me enter for the want of a 'delegate pass'.  But I was on TV this morning I protested, sadly to no avail.  Apparently since the documentary wasn't a real movie it was free entry.  But for the movies the various embassies & government cultural agencies had given free passes to their connections.  Not being thus connected I was left on the outside looking in.  A few years later when I moved to the US one of the first movies I bought was the Antoine Doinel box set from Criterion.

                                That's me pleading to the usher to let me in
                                And after being turned away
                                Finally buying my own DVD of the movie

                                Such were the adventures of the intrepid movie watcher in India...

                                Regards,

                                Tipu
                              • Steve Crook
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 13
                                  Aha, I didn't allow for the mighty Indian bureaucracy.
                                  One of the finer inheritances from the British Raj  :)

                                      Steve

                                  On 13/11/2017 15:24, tipu_lives@... [PnP] wrote:
[...]

                                  That's me pleading to the usher to let me in < br>

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 13
                                      Exactly!!! My autobiography will be The Good, The Badge & The Ugly: The Movies I Never Saw (But I Collected The Brochure)
                                    • Steve Crook
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 13
                                        :)

                                            Steve

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 24
                                          The December listings for AMOLAD are beginning to appear on some of the
                                          web sites where we have known for some time that they're on their way
                                          but they didn't have them on their web sites yet

                                          AMOLAD; Watershed Arts Trust, Bristol; Wed 27 - Sun 31 Dec
                                          Date     Times
                                          Wed 27 Dec     15:40, 18:10
                                          Thu 28 Dec     15:40, 18:10
                                          Fri 29 Dec     15:30, 18:10
                                          Sat 30 Dec     15:30, 18:10
                                          Sun 31 Dec     12:10, 14:30
                                          https://www.watershed.co.uk/whatson/8652/a-matter-of-life-and-death/

                                          AMOLAD; Filmhouse Edinburgh; Fri 08 Dec - Thu 14 Dec
                                          Fri 8 Dec    11:05, 13:20, 15:40, 18:10
                                          Sat 9 Dec    11:05, 13:20, 18:30, 20:45
                                          Sun 10 Dec    20:45
                                          Mon 11 Dec    15:45, 18:15
                                          Tue 12 Dec    11:05, 15:45, 18:10, 20:45
                                          Wed 13 Dec    11:05, 13:25
                                          Thu 14 Dec    11:05, 13:25, 20:30
                                          https://www.filmhousecinema.com/showing/matter-life-and-death

                                          AMALAD; Eden Court, Inverness; Wed 27 Dec - Thu 28 Dec
                                          Wed 27 Dec    20:00
                                          Thu 28 Dec    11:15, 18:00
                                          https://www.eden-court.co.uk/Online/default.asp
                                          Search Event for A Matter of Life and Death

                                          AMOLAD; Phoenix Arts Cinema, Leicester; Tue 26 Dec @ 2.40pm
                                          https://www.phoenix.org.uk/film/a-matter-of-life-and-death/

                                          AMOLAD; Cine Lumiere, London; Sat 16 Dec - Thu 21 Dec
                                          Sat 16 Dec    8.50pm
                                          Sun 17 Dec    8.50pm
                                          Thu 21 Dec    6.30pm
                                          https://www.institut-francais.org.uk/cine-lumiere/whats-on/classics/a-matter-of-life-and-death/

                                          AMOLAD; Regent Street Cinema, London; Sun 31 Dec - Tue 02 Jan
                                          Sun 31 Dec    15:00, 17:00
                                          https://www.regentstreetcinema.com/programme/a-matter-of-life-and-death/

                                          AMOLAD; Showroom Cinema, Sheffield; Tue 26 Dec - Sun 31 Dec
                                          Tue 26 Dec    18.00
                                          Wed 27 Dec    16.00
                                          Thu 28 Dec    16.20
                                          Fri 29 Dec    15.40
                                          Sat 30 Dec    12.40
                                          Sun 31 Dec    13.10
                                          https://www.showroomworkstation.org.uk/a-matter-of-life-and-death

                                          I'll be adding all of these to the main Coming Soon calendar at
                                          http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Events.html as soon as I get time

                                          If you go to any of these screenings, enjoy and please do report back

                                              Steve
                                        • Steve Crook
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 2 9:45 PM
                                            AMOLAD; Bradford Picturehouse; 14 December @ 11:00
                                            Actually screening from 8 - 14 December but not all on their web site yet
                                            https://www.picturehouses.com/cinema/National_Media_Museum/film/a-matter-of-life-and-death

                                            AMOLAD; Norwich - Cinema City; 19 December @ 20:15, 20 December @ 13:00
                                            Actually screening from 15 - 21 December but not all on their web site yet
                                            https://www.picturehouses.com/cinema/Cinema_City/film/a-matter-of-life-and-death

                                            IKWIG; NFT (BFI South Bank), London; Wednesday 31st January
                                            Intoduced by Miranda Richardson
                                            https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=FFAE203B-E6AB-4E86-82C7-15BDDA237518&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=BD2581EE-02FA-44DA-9E3C-9BE45F88362C

                                            Blimp; Errol Flynn Filmhouse, Northampton; Sunday 7 January @ 2:00pm
                                            http://www.errolflynnfilmhouse.com/films/life-death-colonel-blimp/

                                            TRS; Portrush Film Theatre, Portrush, Northern Ireland; Thursday 14
                                            December @ 7:30pm
                                            http://www.portrushfilmtheatre.org/#!/page_OUR_PROGRAMME

                                            See http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Events.html for the many other
                                            screenings

                                            Enjoy

                                                Steve
                                          • Steve Crook
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 10 6:29 AM
                                              The AMOLAD bandwagon trundles on with screening all around this land of
                                              ours plus one in Ireland (the Republic) and one in New York

                                              AMOLAD; Belmont Filmhouse, Aberdeen; Fri 05 Jan - Thu 11 Jan
                                              Not listed on their web site yet

                                              AMOLAD; Cambridge Picturehouse; Fri 22 Dec - Thu 28 Dec
                                              Not listed on their web site yet

                                              AMOLAD; firstsite, Colchester; Sunday 17 December @ 2:45pm
                                              www.firstsite.uk/whats-on/matter-life-death/

                                              AMOLAD; QUAD, Derby; Tuesday 26 December (13:45 & 16:15) to Thursday 28
                                              December @ 20:55
                                              https://www.derbyquad.co.uk/film/a-matter-of-life-and-death--u-.aspx

                                              AMOLAD; Glasgow Film Theatre; Tue 02 Jan - Thu 04 Jan
                                              Not listed on their web site yet

                                              AMOLAD; Ipswich Film Theatre; Sun 7 Jan @ 7:30
                                              http://www.iftt.co.uk/a-matter-of-life-death-u/

                                              AMOLAD; Dukes Theatre & Cinema, Lancaster; Sat 30 Dec - Wed 03 Jan
                                              Not listed on their web site yet

                                              AMOLAD; Picturehouse Central, London; Fri 08 Dec - Thu 14 Dec
                                              16th DEc @ 16:00, 17th Dec @ 13:15
                                              Other screenings aren't listed on their web site yet

                                              AMOLAD; Curzon Bloomsbury; Sun 10 December @ 15:30
                                              https://www.curzoncinemas.com/bloomsbury/film-info/a-matter-of-life-and-death
                                              Park Circus say it's running there from Fri 08 Dec - Thu 14 Dec

                                              AMOLAD; Barnes Olympic Cinema; Wed 20 Dec @ 15:20
                                              https://www.olympiccinema.co.uk/film/A-Matter-Of-Life-And-Death

                                              AMOLAD; Curzon Mayfair; Sat 23 Dec
                                              Not listed on their web site yet

                                              AMOLAD; Curzon Wimbledon; Sat 23 Dec
                                              Not listed on their web site yet

                                              AMOLAD; HOME Manchester; Fri 22 Dec - Thu 28 Dec
                                              No times given on their web site yet
                                              https://homemcr.org/film/a-matter-of-life-death/

                                              AMOLAD; Errol Flynn Filmhouse, Northampton; Sun 31 December @ 2:00pm
                                              http://www.errolflynnfilmhouse.com/films/matter-life-death/

                                              AMOLAD; Curzon Oxford; Sat 23 Dec
                                              Not listed on their web site yet

                                              AMOLAD; Curzon Ripon; Sat 23 Dec
                                              Not listed on their web site yet

                                              Plus various other AMOLAD screenings already listed at
                                              http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Events.html

                                              TRS; Castro Theatre, San Francisco; Sat 06 Jan 2018
                                              Not listed on their web site yet

                                              ToH; Errol Flynn Filmhouse, Nothampton; Sun 14 January @ 2:00pm
                                              http://www.errolflynnfilmhouse.com/films/tales-hoffman/

                                              If you go, enjoy it/them

                                                  Steve
                                            • Steve Crook
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 10 7:33 AM
                                                Do we have anyone in or near Northampton?

                                                I've just noticed that the Errol Flynn Filmhouse, Nothampton will be
                                                screening P&P films on Sundays at 2pm through the last part of December
                                                and into January:
                                                AMOLAD - Sunday 31 December at 2:00pm
                                                Blimp - Sunday 7 January 2018 at 2:00pm
                                                ToH - Sunday 14 January at 2:00pm

                                                Enjoy

                                                    Steve

                                              • Paula Vitaris
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Dec 10 9:31 AM
                                                  Is there any news of screenings of the 4K restoration in the United States?

                                                  — Paula

                                                • Steve Crook
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Dec 10 9:36 AM
                                                    Only the one in NYC so far that I know of. If you hear of any, do please let me know

                                                    Steve

                                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                                  • Spikey Mikey
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Dec 10 11:38 AM

                                                      Hi Steve,

                                                      I just noticed that it's on in Brighton but not until May. Looks like I'll have to take a day off work...

                                                      https://www.picturehouses.com/cinema/Duke_Of_Yorks/film/a-matter-of-life-and-death

                                                      Regards,

                                                      Michael

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Dec 10 5:51 PM
                                                        Thanks Michael,
                                                        That’s another screening I’ll have to add to the list. Or maybe to next year’s list

                                                            Steve

                                                        Sent from my iPhone