Re: Flu & Pine Needle Tea

  • Marie Morris
    Message 1 of 31 , May 1 5:51 AM
      I am very fortunate to have several different types of pines growing in
      my area, one of which is my favorite white pine. I've made tea from all
      of the different pines that grow here in Tennessee and the best tasting
      to me is white pine. One thing to remember about making pine tea is not
      to boil it. Heat kills vitamin C and also releases the gummy part
      (resin) in pine needles. So to avoid that I simply bring clean, pure
      water to just before the boiling point, let it sit about 5-10 minutes,
      then pour it over my fresh pine needles, strain, and drink. No gummy
      sawdust taste. Good tea and also you can take those fresh pine needles,
      chop them up and add them to white vinegar. Shake it from time to time,
      put in a cool dark place and in about 6 weeks to 3 months, you have a
      very good tasting herbal vinegar that goes well with olive oil on any
      salad except maybe fruit.
      Marie in TN
    • diana scott
      Message 31 of 31 , May 10 7:53 AM
        Thank you! I never get the flu shots either and don't think that I have ever had the flu but the tea sounds like a good thing and may have other benefits as well. I am a very new member of this list and am already loving it!